• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loud bird outside window (1 Viewer)

Hi there, I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

There is this small black and white bird that sits right outside my bedroom window on the roof edge and makes noises really loudly. This starts at about 4:30 am and wakes me up every time. Even with the window closed I can still hear it but I need to keep it open since it gets hot here. The lack of sleep is really getting to me during the day.
Is there any way to make it stop / move somewhere else?

My area is south-east Essex near the Dengie area.

Thanks for the replies. I think it looks like the Wagtails on Andy's link. I just recorded some sound from the bird but I can't see how to upload the video.
EDIT: Here is a YouTube video I just uploaded. I couldn't get actual video of the bird but did get sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi4pYoGrwDA
It sounds a lot quieter in the video than it actually is standing there in the room.

Last edited:
I can hear what sounds like House Sparrows, the males do have a black bib and sit on rooftops, gutter edges etc. They are classed as in decline and it is illegal to disturb their nests, eggs and young. Pied Wagtails also are protected by the Wildlife and Countryside act and all that I can offer is to try to live in some harmony with nature rather than a life without birdsong and calls.

I mean I'd love to live in harmony but only getting 4 hours of sleep a night is making me miserable. There is no nest there and it just sits there alone on the edge. I checked inside the roof and nothing either, it appears to just like sitting there for some reason. Obviously I have no intention of harming it, just wanted a suggestion on how to deter it to from sitting on this specific edge, 2 feet away from the window.

Play an alarm call of a bird of prey, that might deter it. I would suggest the following - Sparrowhawk, Kestrel or Peregrine Falcon. A variety of calls every now and then may discourage the bird that is preventing you from sleeping though why you only get 4 hours is unusual. They dont call during darkness so maybe get to bed a bit earlier. Good luck.

PS. Though you might disturb your neighbours if you're constantly blaring out Peregrine screeching throughout the day

Last edited:
Play an alarm call of a bird of prey, that might deter it. I would suggest the following - Sparrowhawk, Kestrel or Peregrine Falcon. A variety of calls every now and then may discourage the bird that is preventing you from sleeping though why you only get 4 hours is unusual. They dont call during darkness so maybe get to bed a bit earlier. Good luck.

Unfortunately I suffer from sleeplessness anyways so it's hard to get to sleep for hours and end up falling asleep around 1am each night.

Hi,

Obviously I have no intention of harming it, just wanted a suggestion on how to deter it to from sitting on this specific edge, 2 feet away from the window.

Wagtails like to sit on prominent perches when they sing.

Maybe there's a way to set up a pole (like a broomstick or something) in the vicinity of the edge, but farther away from your window, that the Wagtail would consider an even better perch than the edge opposite your window?

Regards,

Henning

Hi,

Wagtails like to sit on prominent perches when they sing.

Maybe there's a way to set up a pole (like a broomstick or something) in the vicinity of the edge, but farther away from your window, that the Wagtail would consider an even better perch than the edge opposite your window?

Regards,

Henning

Thanks for the reply. I live in a 2-storey detached house with houses either side of me. There are plenty of other places for it to go but it seems to have picked my house and the corner of the house where the bedroom is as it's favourite. |=(|

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I live in a 2-storey detached house with houses either side of me. There are plenty of other places for it to go but it seems to have picked my house and the corner of the house where the bedroom is as it's favourite. |=(|

Hm, my idea was to offer an alternative attraction, but I suppose if it sits at the corner, the wagtail is already ignoring the higher roof ridge (presuming you have a ridged roof)?

Regards,

Henning

Hi,

Hm, my idea was to offer an alternative attraction, but I suppose if it sits at the corner, the wagtail is already ignoring the higher roof ridge (presuming you have a ridged roof)?

Regards,

Henning

Yeah it's sitting on the lower part of the roof. It's higher in the middle and slopes down at the sides.

Ok so after a few nights of using ear plugs, I can tell you that they're not working. I've tried a bunch of different ones but they always seem to fall out during the night, even when I make sure to put them in properly.

I really need to do something about this bird because it's every single day and it's taking the p*** now! (Again, when I say do something, I mean peacefully).

Hi,

(Again, when I say do something, I mean peacefully).

Just an idea ... you could try to install a motion-sensor activated light shining at the corner of the house where the bird sits.

The bird might not like being illuminated at night, and find a singing perch farther away from your window.

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back