• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Difference between BA and BN? (1 Viewer)

Hi bodromarsh,

I believe the BN's have been in production since at least 2000? I have a Leica product brochure that includes the BN's and it describes the whole Trinovid range as now having the 'newly developed' HDC coatings (as well as closer focusing).

This brochure, although not dated, also has the 'recently introduced' Leica M6 TTL with 0.58 finder - this is clearly stated as introduced in 2000.

Seeing as though both products are listed as 'newly introduced' this dates the brochure to at least 2000 at the earliest and 2002 at the latest (the M6 TTL 0.58 was discontinued December 2002).

I believe one or both of my BN's are at least 4 years old - I bought them secondhand at great prices & in perfect condition.....serial numbers begin 145xxxx & 149xxxx.

Hope this clarifies & doesn't confuse.....

Cheers,

Mook.

Update: Earliest Trinovid BN introduction date I've found doing a Google is January 2001.....I think they were announced at Photokina 2000. Here's a link that might help http://www.company7.com/leica/news.html#1September2000

Last edited:
Hi Mook/Bodromarsh
Although I bought my Trinovid BNs secondhand I have the original warranty card showing date of sale as 23.02.2002. Serial number is 1454950.

mook said:
Hi bodromarsh,

I believe the BN's have been in production since at least 2000? I have a Leica product brochure that includes the BN's and it describes the whole Trinovid range as now having the 'newly developed' HDC coatings (as well as closer focusing).

This brochure, although not dated, also has the 'recently introduced' Leica M6 TTL with 0.58 finder - this is clearly stated as introduced in 2000.

Seeing as though both products are listed as 'newly introduced' this dates the brochure to at least 2000 at the earliest and 2002 at the latest (the M6 TTL 0.58 was discontinued December 2002).

I believe one or both of my BN's are at least 4 years old - I bought them secondhand at great prices & in perfect condition.....serial numbers begin 145xxxx & 149xxxx.

Hope this clarifies & doesn't confuse.....

Cheers,

Mook.

Update: Earliest Trinovid BN introduction date I've found doing a Google is January 2001.....I think they were announced at Photokina 2000. Here's a link that might help http://www.company7.com/leica/news.html#1September2000

Thanks Merasl,

That would put my 7x42 BN's at around that time too, perhaps 2001....

Would be interesting to know how the serial number system works for each configuration....I'm guessing that serial numbers just continued on from the preceding BA lines?

The article I linked to also alludes to the fact that late BA models may well have had the HDC coatings.....but it wasn't until the launch of the BN series that a song & dance was made about it.

Sheesh, I think I need to get out and USE my binoculars a lot more!!

Cheers,

Mook.

PS. I believe my brochure 'Leica: The Program' dates from 07/2001

Last edited:
This thread is of interest to me as I just purchased a pair of 8x42 BAs. The serial number is 1088140. The coatings appear yellow and purple when looking at light reflected in the objectives. I would be interested to know what the coating colours are on the later versions. Incidentally, I have had a bit of time to compare them to my 8x32 and 10x32 Nikon LXs and a pair of 8x30 BGAT*P Zeiss (just bought new) and have found that the differences in all are so minimal that the best view definitely comes down to the user interface - I shake more with some than others. Twilight performance might be slightly better in the Leica's, but it really is irrelevant, unless I mount everything on beanbags and stare at pine needles 500 feet away (I tried that). In real life I have to say that the binocs that I can hold most steadily are the best (the little Zeiss loses out for me). But back to my question about coating colours - can anyone help?

The coatings appear yellow and purple when looking at light reflected in the objectives. I would be interested to know what the coating colours are on the later versions

I have a 8x42 BA with a SN not much higher than yours, and the coatings appear to be green. Definitely not purple or yellow.

This deserves to be posted in entiriety

1 September 2000: Leica Announces BN Series Binoculars

At the famous "Photokina" photographic industry trade show this year Leica announced the new TRINOVID BN binocular series.

Increasingly, many nature lovers would like a pair of LEICA TRINOVID binoculars that focuses at shorter distances. Leica is now catering to this demand with the new TRINOVID BN models. With the new TRINOVID BN, Leica now offers ideal possibilities of getting really close to nature, as the new TRINOVID BN binoculars feature two major innovations: a significantly improved close-focus range, and Leica's HDC™ optical coating.

The new BN binoculars have improved close-focus of between 2.10 m (10x32 BN) and 3.60 m (8x50 BN). The close-focus distance is of particular interest for field ornithology, insect watching, general nature observation and forestry. Leica's HTC™ optical coating is a multiple coating that is extremely resistant to abrasion and other environmental influences. This high resistance is achieved by a special process in which the coating materials are applied to the lens elements in a high-vacuum plasma technique.

The TRINOVID BN binoculars inherit the well-proven features of the previous TRINOVID BA models, such as the trend setting Leica Design, the high-quality optics with the successful Leica multiple coating, the Schmidt-Pechan pentaprisms and the true internal focusing, water tightness to a depth of 5 m, the patented multifunctional central drive, the high-point eyepieces with sliding eyecups and the polyurethane armoring.

n.b.: The coating has already been used for other binoculars, but is being advertised for the first time with the launch of the BN binoculars. The BC binoculars also feature HDC™ optical coating (but not the spotting scopes).

Interesting for our customers worldwide: TRINOVID BN binoculars are supplied with a new instruction manual translated into six languages ( German, English, French, Dutch, Italian and Spanish).

The 'A' suffix in the name of the previous models stood for 'armored'. This has now been replaced by an 'N' indicating the improved near-focus range. On the outside, the new BN binoculars can be differentiated from BA models only by the BN on their name plate, and by Leica product model numbers.

Please note: the 8x32 BN and 10x32 BN models will not replace the BA types until year 2001. The 8x32 BA and 10x32 BA already have an extremely good near focus range. As Leica cannot launch all the types at once for logistic reasons, Leica has decided to launch the 7x42, 8x42, 10x42, and the 8x50, 10x50, and 12x50 models first. Company Seven is already delivering the new BN models as they come into the U.S.A.

Compare the new TRINOVID BN and previous TRINOVID BA models:

Binocular Model Near Focus in Meters/Feet
Code:
  Before (BA series)         Now (BN series) 

8x32   3.25 m / 10.6 ft. 2.30 m / 7.5 ft. 
10x32  2.70 m / 8.8 ft.  2.10 m / 6.8 ft. 
7x42   6.30 m / 20.5 ft. 3.30 m / 11 ft. 
8x42   5.30 m / 17.2 ft. 3.10 m / 10.1 ft. 
10x42  4.60 m / 15 ft.   2.95 m / 9.6 ft. 
8x50   5.40 m / 17.5 ft. 3.60 m / 11.7 ft. 
10x50  4.80 m / 15.6 ft. 3.30 m / 11 ft. 
12x50  4.60 m / 15 ft.   3.20 m / 10.4 ft.

Last edited:
BA vs BN

Alexis Powell said:
My 8x32 BA with SN 1096601 has orange and purple outermost reflections when viewed from the objective end.
--AP
Interesting that the colours and serial numbers don't seem to transition smoothly. I just recieved a new pair of 7x42 BNs and see that the coating colour is indeed green and purple. For the life of me I can't see any difference in contrast ( or even brightness, but my pupils don't dilate very much any more) between the 8x42 BAs and the 7x42 BNs. Leica claimed that the new coating was for increased protection (harder) and so I'll take their word for it. I certainly can't see any other difference. Those of you with BAs should be very happy to keep them!

angelo225544 said:
Another significant improvement of the BN over the Ultra BA series is in the optical coatings. While this is an evolutionary change, which took place in a series of small incremental steps, it is worth noting that a recent BN (serial number 145xxxxxx or higher) will show dramatic improvement in both color saturation and resistance to flare to either the BA or an earlier BN. All are phase coated, but lens coatings have improved dramatically in the last 10 years and have as much to do with image quality as phase coating and choice of glass.
I want to give an update of this previous post. I now have both an 8x32 BA(serial number 102xxxx) and an 8x32 BN (serial number 152xxxx) that I have been testing quite extensively. My first posting was based on observations made with the 10x42 BA vs. BN. In the case of the 10x42's, I saw a clear difference in both color saturation and flare resistance. However, in the case of the 8x32, this difference is much less noticeable - I sometimes can't determine which is which without looking at the badge on the binoculars! I can't explain this, and I am quite surprised by this contradiction, but I thought it best to report my findings - FWIW.

my experience with the two versions is that the BA is crisper at greater distances than the BN equivalent, especially at infinity, and generally sharper overall.

If I were you I'd go for a new BN if you can afford it. As mentioned by Angelo, the coatings really are an improvement that you can see in the field.

I have owned for about three years a pair of 8x42 BA Trinovid I bought off eBay. They are in perfect condition. I just recently purchased a pair of 8x42 BN. In all honesty, I like the older BA better. The BN has a little more whitish cast, with the BA appearing a little tiny bit yellow. I had never noticed the BA being yellowish, but compared the the BN they are. I really can't say which one is more naturally colored.

The BA has a significantly sharper image. I was more easily able to read lettering on signs at all distances with the BA. I know it sounds impossible, but the BA also seemed to produce a larger image (more magnification), even though both were 8x42.

So I am sticking with my old trusties!

Another significant improvement of the BN over the Ultra BA series is in the optical coatings. While this is an evolutionary change, which took place in a series of small incremental steps, it is worth noting that a recent BN (serial number 145xxxxxx or higher) will show dramatic improvement in both color saturation and resistance to flare to either the BA or an earlier BN. All are phase coated, but lens coatings have improved dramatically in the last 10 years and have as much to do with image quality as phase coating and choice of glass.

I want to give an update of this previous post. I now have both an 8x32 BA(serial number 102xxxx) and an 8x32 BN (serial number 152xxxx) that I have been testing quite extensively. My first posting was based on observations made with the 10x42 BA vs. BN. In the case of the 10x42's, I saw a clear difference in both color saturation and flare resistance. However, in the case of the 8x32, this difference is much less noticeable - I sometimes can't determine which is which without looking at the badge on the binoculars! I can't explain this, and I am quite surprised by this contradiction, but I thought it best to report my findings - FWIW.

I found these posts interesting. It seems many prefer the BA for better sharpness, but the BN has better color saturation. But it seems to differ among different versions as well, 8x/10x42 or 8x32, where for the last the differences seem least. How are these differences between BN and BA viewed now, almost 15 years later?

Last edited:
I found these posts interesting. It seems many prefer the BA for better sharpness, but the BN has better color saturation. But it seems to differ among different versions as well, 8x/10x42 or 8x32, where for the last the differences seem least. How are these differences between BN and BA viewed now, almost 15 years later?

I don't think it is accurate to say "many prefer BA for better sharpness" based on a few reviews. I think any differences reported relate to individual cherry/lemon units, not consistent differences between the models. Late production BA and all BN have much better color balance than early BA. My Leica 8x32 BA is perfect in nearly every respect, but its greenish color balance is not the best and is quite different from the warm bias of later production.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back