• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Reddish Egret (Quintana, TX) (1 Viewer)

Brookie

Not sure I've ever seen a juvenile reddish egret, so I thought I'd seek confirmation. (Also a test to see if I've figured out some of the basics of editing in Photoshop.)

Attachments

• Reddishegret.jpg
    Reddishegret.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 147
Not necessarily a juvenile, but certainly a reddish egret. You might either try Lighting/ shadows/highlights or Lighting/curves to lighten the shadows. regards~Bill

Definitely a Reddish Egret although hard to say whether juvenile or non-breeding adult given the lighting conditions but I would lean towards adult.

Jack

Hi All,

The gray suffusion on the head and neck, dark bill, rusty-fringed grayish coverts and scapulars, and lack of any elongated feather plumes all suggest that the bird is indeed a juvenile.

Chris

Thanks. I'm still thinking juvenile myself. In addition to all of the features you pointed out, the uniformly dark bill seems inconsistent with an adult.

I have shifted to the juvenile camp after reviewing more photos. My original reasons for leaning adult were, 1) The neck seemed too dark but the bird does still have a trace of the lighter, juvenile, chalky color on its breast, and 2) I thought that it was impossible to say that the bill was all dark since the top part has a light-colored area (probably due to reflection) and the bottom part is in shadow. But, after lightening the shadows in Photoshop, the bill does still appear all dark. Also, I thought that the eye color may be too light for an adult which, I think, would probably be a little more yellowish.

Whatever the age, it is almost always interesting to see a Reddish Egret because they usually are dashing about madly trying to stir up prey.

Jack

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back