• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Video: Gretna Starling Roost - Take Two (added by oncebittern) (1 Viewer)

BirdForum TV

81dc9bdb52d04dcT.jpg
Gretna Starling Roost - Take Two
Author: oncebittern
Keywords: Gretna Starling Roost birds flock motorway services swarm
Added: 14 minutes ago

Click Here to View Video

To Upload Your Own Video Click Here...

That is so beautiful, thanks for showing it. I found it incredibly relaxing to watch! Does anyone know how far starlings travel from feeding areas to join such a roost?

That is so beautiful, thanks for showing it. I found it incredibly relaxing to watch! Does anyone know how far starlings travel from feeding areas to join such a roost?

Hi Mary.

Thanks for your kind comments.

I don't know how far they travel, but it must be a significant distance for many of them. The next nearest major roost that I know of is about 60 miles away, at RSPB Leighton Moss, down in Lancashire, but its a fraction of the size of the Gretna one. If there really is nothing in between, then presumably this would be all the birds from at least the top half of Cumbria, and maybe more.

Apparently there is another on the east coast, about 80 miles away, but I know of no others in the vicinity.

If anyone else knows where the nearest roosts are, perhaps they could post them here, and we could map the 'catchment area' for these birds?

Groups of Starlings passing my house late afternoon as they have for some years now at this time of year heading west seemingly following the South Tyne. Noticed similar groups some 100+ about a kilometre north whilst doing Atlas TTv's last winter suggesting birds heading for a roost, though I'm west of Gretna (nearly 30 miles) the times of these sightings indicate there is a closer roost as these birds would not have time to get to Gretna before dark.

Last winter when travelling between Longtown and Brampton a huge group of Starlings was seen "swirling" to east of Brampton, this from my notes at the time "On way home last night just on dusk had a big group of several hundred Starlings dropping into trees toward Breconhill/ Coathill farm area. We were travelling toward Brampton on the Longtown road and had
crossed bridge over river Irthing when we saw them in the distance
ahead of us, looked like another big group behind but couldn't stop
safely in time as we were in traffic."

Stewart

Groups of Starlings passing my house late afternoon as they have for some years now at this time of year heading west seemingly following the South Tyne.....though I'm west of Gretna (nearly 30 miles) Stewart

Haltwhistle and South Tyne are now WEST of Gretna? When did they move?

Must brush up on my geography ;)

Seriously though, even when almost dark, there was still the odd small flock arriving at Gretna, so maybe your birds were making that journey. I would think that in windless conditions, they would take about an hour to do that, but on a stiff Easterly breeze, that time could be halved. How would that fit with your observation times?

Does anyone know how far starlings travel from feeding areas to join such a roost?

Just 'borrowed' this info from an RSPB site:

" During the Winter our UK breeding population is boosted by birds from the Continent. They live in small flocks during the day, traveling between feeding sites and gathering in daytime roosts, normally a place with good all-round visibility. Then in the late afternoon all these feeding flocks, roughly within a 20 mile radius, join up to form progressively larger flocks before becoming a ‘murmuration’ of tens of thousands of birds in a winter roost site. "

Of course, the Gretna birds number way more that just tens of thousands, so their catchment area could be bigger still...but its a starting point.

BTW, a 20 mile radius is about 1250 square miles. 30 miles radius would be nearly 3000 square miles.

Planning to go to the Borders 3 days beg. 4th December. Prime reason being the starling roost at Gretna then moving on to stay west of Dumfries for two nights. Any more new on the roost - still gathering momentum?

Planning to go to the Borders 3 days beg. 4th December. Prime reason being the starling roost at Gretna then moving on to stay west of Dumfries for two nights. Any more new on the roost - still gathering momentum?

Hi Sandra. I was at Gretna again last Friday (Nov 21st). Starling numbers were about the same as they have been on my last 3 visits.

I viewed from the motorway bridge again, and this time the majority of them roosted in the woods off the B7076, so viewing from the layby would have been superb. Views from the M-way were still good though, and IF they had decided to come down behind the services, the views would still have been good.

If you decide to go to either the layby or in to the services car park, you should get great views, and if you're lucky, they will all settle down to roost right in front of you. However, if you are only going to get one crack at them, I think the bridge offers the best all-round opportunities.

If you decide to go to either the layby or in to the services car park, you should get great views, and if you're lucky, they will all settle down to roost right in front of you. However, if you are only going to get one crack at them, I think the bridge offers the best all-round opportunities.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that info Steve. I've been dragging my feet as far as booking a B&B is concerned but this has decided me. We will probably have two chances - we shall try for them on our way up on Thursday then we could make it again on our way home on Saturday if necessary.

S

Thanks for that info Steve. I've been dragging my feet as far as booking a B&B is concerned but this has decided me. We will probably have two chances - we shall try for them on our way up on Thursday then we could make it again on our way home on Saturday if necessary.

S

Just one other thing to add Sandra. We arrived at the services at about 3.30 on the 21st, which was about right. You are going to be a couple of weeks later, so I would suggest arriving a little earlier...maybe 3.00 would be safer. Better too early and have time for a cuppa, than too late and miss the action. Hope you enjoy the spectacle. Let us know how it goes.

...and dress up WARM - the windchill on that bridge can be biting!

Just one other thing to add Sandra. We arrived at the services at about 3.30 on the 21st, which was about right. You are going to be a couple of weeks later, so I would suggest arriving a little earlier...maybe 3.00 would be safer. Better too early and have time for a cuppa, than too late and miss the action. Hope you enjoy the spectacle. Let us know how it goes.

...and dress up WARM - the windchill on that bridge can be biting!

Thanks again Steve. Will arrive in plenty of time - can always snooze/read a book. Imagine snoozing and waking up.... and it's all over!! On second thoughts I'll read a book

S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back