• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In AND around Sunderland (1 Viewer)

apologies for the photo, heavily cropped. heard the bird before i saw it, loud screeching type noise. I have never seen one before, my daughter told me a while back that she had seen a bird with a red head on the feeders, i told her it was a linnet, showed her pics and she adamant it wasn't (shes 11). anyhoo this was in the tree today, small back garden middle of a housing estate in washington.

yes its a linnit.

Lost Monopod

Bit of a request from a friend of mine who isn't a member of the forum.
Anyway they were at Far Pasture today 18/06/13 and were in the lane adjacent the wood yard watching the kites and roe deer in adjacent field. However they had parked in the entrance to the wood yard - when the owner turned up. They moved the car and the wood yard owner allowed them to park inside the yard - but when they moved the car they left a Gitzo monopod half way along the lane - completely forgot about it and after a good natter with the wood yard owner drove off leaving the monopod against the fence half way along the lane.

If anyone was in the area today and has found said monopod if you send me a PM with your contact details and i'll pass those on to the owner who will be extremely grateful to get it back..

Thanks in advance

Carrion Crow feeding on the remains of a dead rat on cherry blossum way at 1000.

Barmston Pond 1005-1125.
pr Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe, pr Mute Swan, 7 Gadwall, 3 Mallard, 2 Tufted Duck, 10 Coot, 2 Moorhen, 3 Black Headed Gull, 18 Herring Gull, 5 Lbb Gull, 1 Common Tern, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Swift, House Martin, Swallow, Wren, Blackbird, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Reed Bunting.

Bit of a request from a friend of mine who isn't a member of the forum.
Anyway they were at Far Pasture today 18/06/13 and were in the lane adjacent the wood yard watching the kites and roe deer in adjacent field. However they had parked in the entrance to the wood yard - when the owner turned up. They moved the car and the wood yard owner allowed them to park inside the yard - but when they moved the car they left a Gitzo monopod half way along the lane - completely forgot about it and after a good natter with the wood yard owner drove off leaving the monopod against the fence half way along the lane.

If anyone was in the area today and has found said monopod if you send me a PM with your contact details and i'll pass those on to the owner who will be extremely grateful to get it back..

Thanks in advance

Good news story - monopod picked up by a group of walkers and taken to Thornley Woodlands - office closed so then taken to local police station - owner contacted via message in hide log book and arrangements being made with Police to collect it later.

Just goes to prove there are plenty of decent people out there :t:

Barmston Pond 1010-1210.
1 Great Crested Grebe, pr Little Grebe, 2 Grey Heron, 1 Mute Swan, 6 Gadwall, 3 Mallard, 3 Tufted Duck, c15 Coot, 4 Moorhen, Oystercatcher calling, 6 Lbb Gull, 13 Herring Gull, Woodpigeon, excellent view of a Barn Owl perched on the fence near the entrance to the sth screen and seen again 20 minutes later as it was flushed by a passing cyclist, Swift, Sand Martin, Swallow, Blackbird, Sedge Warbler, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Carrion Crow, Reed Bunting.

Just back from a fantastic 2 weeks in Scotland, stayed near Inverness but got about quite a bit,from the Isle of Skye to Aberdeen.

Highlights included:

Osprey x7
Red Kite x7
Golden Eagle x1
Black Throated Diver x2
Red Throated Diver X8
Slavonian Grebe X3
Black Guilemot X c20
Puffin x c15
King Eider x1 (a lifer for me)
Crested Tit x2
Crossbill Sp. X2 (probably Scottish)
Raven X20+

Lots of other thigs like Hooded Crows,Tree Pipits, Siskins and good numbers of Spotted Flycathers.
Other wildlife included Roe and Red Deer,Red Squirrels,Dolphins and Seals.

The sunset is the view from the cottage across the Moray Firth, birds seen form the cottage incuded Red and Black Throated Diver (the non summer plumage bird) and Manx Shearwater,the Dolphins could also be seen distantly.

Attachments

• tn_035.JPG
    tn_035.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 19
  • tn_127.JPG
    tn_127.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 19
  • tn_133.JPG
    tn_133.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 23
  • tn_084.JPG
    tn_084.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 20
  • tn_256.JPG
    tn_256.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
The crappy Eagle photo was taken through the windscreen of a moving car.

Attachments

• tn_024.JPG
    tn_024.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 23
  • tn_058.JPG
    tn_058.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 20
  • tn_067.JPG
    tn_067.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 16
  • tn_167.JPG
    tn_167.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 22
  • tn_169.JPG
    tn_169.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 14
Got very lucky on my 2nd visit to Loch Garten with 2 Crested Tits on the feeders at the entrance when I arrived.
Managed to find 2 Crossbills at Glen affric which have seemingly been thin on the ground this year, going by the calls I think probably Scottish.
the Raven photo was taken at Troup Head which was excellent.

Attachments

• tn_225.JPG
    tn_225.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 21
  • tn_239.JPG
    tn_239.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 24
  • tn_232.JPG
    tn_232.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 14
  • tn_267.JPG
    tn_267.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 25
  • tn_347.JPG
    tn_347.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 14
Probably the biggest highlight for me was the King Eider at the Ythan estuary which was also an excellent place for Seals and Terns(Common, Sandwhich,Arctic and Little).
The Great Skua was harrasing the Gannets at Troup Head.

Attachments

• tn_293.JPG
    tn_293.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 18
  • tn_322.JPG
    tn_322.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 18
  • tn_348.JPG
    tn_348.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 15
  • tn_359.JPG
    tn_359.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 21
  • tn_365.JPG
    tn_365.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 21
Barmston Pond 0840-1035 yesterday.
1 Great Crested Grebe, 2 prs Little Grebe, 1 Grey Heron, 1 Mute Swan, 5 Gadwall, 8 Mallard, Tufted Duck with 5 ducklings, 20+ Coot, 2 prs Moorhen, 3 Black Headed Gull, 7 Herring Gull, 6 Lbb Gull, 1 Gbb Gull, 5 Common Tern, Woodpigeon, Swift, Sand Martin, House Martin, Wren, Sedge Warbler, Chiffchaff, Coal Tit, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Reed Bunting,

Boldon to Whitburn Steels 0950-1215.
Fulmar, Cormorant, Gannet(2), 6 Greylag Geese on boldon flats
, Coot(1), Moorhen(c4), Lapwing, Curlew, Black Headed Gull, Herring Gull, Lbb Gull, Kittiwake, Stock Dove, Woodpigeon, Swift, Skylark, Sand Martin, House Martin, Swallow, Pied Wagtail, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Magpie, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Reed Bunting.

Last edited:
Nice Green Sandpiper along the ditch at Boldon flats this afternoon, also 10 Curlew and a family party of 6 Greylags.

Attachments

• tn_003.JPG
    tn_003.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 49
Cracking adult summer Little Gull amongst the terns and Black-Heads at Whitburn at midday, from the car park for the fish resturant. Heat haze was quite bad by then but a great bird all the same.

A good couple of hours seawatching this morning:

Common Scoter x89
Puffin x42
Manx Shearwater x28
Great Skua x2
Arctic Skua x1
Tufted Duck x3
RB Merganser x1
Wigeon x1 (on the end of a line of Scoters)

Looks like I managed to miss a Pom Skua that passed while I was there but you cant win 'em all I guess.

Attachments

• tn_007.JPG
    tn_007.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 36
  • tn_013.JPG
    tn_013.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 43
  • tn_020.JPG
    tn_020.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 36
  • tn_021.JPG
    tn_021.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 40
A good couple of hours seawatching this morning:

Common Scoter x89
Puffin x42
Manx Shearwater x28
Great Skua x2
Arctic Skua x1
Tufted Duck x3
RB Merganser x1
Wigeon x1 (on the end of a line of Scoters)

Looks like I managed to miss a Pom Skua that passed while I was there but you cant win 'em all I guess.
hi adam
was that you i passed at the steels this morning.

Barmston Pond 1010-1145.
1 Great Crested Grebe
Little Grebe
2 Grey Heron
pr Mute Swan with 5 cygnets
1 Gadwall
Mallard with a brood of 5 ducklings
2 broods of 8+10 Tufted Duck
1 Pochard
30+ Coot
4+ Moorhen
3 Black Headed Gull
15 Herring Gull
6 Lbb Gull
2 Common Tern
small nos Swifts and hirundos over

had a nice view of a Red Kite over northumberland at1515hrs from the coach on the way down to seahouses after a nice day out at holy island with the misses.

Last edited:
Barmston Pond 1005-1135.
1 Great Crested Grebe
pr Little Grebe
1 Grey Heron
pr Mute Swan with 5 cygnets
1 brood of Mallard
3 broods of Tufted Duck
30 Coot
c6 Moorhen
3 Black Headed Gull
2 Lbb Gull
14 Herring Gull
1 Common Tern
Woodpigeon
Swift
House Martin
Blackbird
Sedge Warbler
Willow Warbler/Chiffchaff
Magpie
Reed Bunting

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back