• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The birds & wildlife of Gateshead (1 Viewer)

Far Pastures & Blackburn Fell

Started my new summer contract last week. Have just had two days off so made the most of them. The Blackcaps & Willow Warbler were taken at Far Pastures the Wheatears where at Blackburn Fell.

Attachments

• DSC_7393.jpg
    DSC_7393.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Female Blackcap.jpg
    Female Blackcap.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_7494.jpg
    DSC_7494.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Wheatear.jpg
    Wheatear.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_7752.jpg
    DSC_7752.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 21
good day for photography!

Only thing to report today was a movement of 100+ wheatears threw ravensworth fell, decided to have a day of photography instead? little bit of a warm up as i had a photo shoot this afternoon at the farm (horses).
cheers
steve :t:

Attachments

• swallow1.jpg
    swallow1.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 41
  • swallow2.jpg
    swallow2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 32
  • swallow3.jpg
    swallow3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 37
  • swallow4.jpg
    swallow4.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 34
  • wheatear@burdonmoor.jpg
    [email protected]
    106.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Quality not numbers!

Quality not numbers is a way of describing todays outing! was joined by Mouldy today as we headed off to burdon moor, power of suggestion struck again as i asked alan (mouldy) ''have you had ring ouzel in gateshead yet'' to which he replied ''no'' but 30 seconds later alan said ''ring ouzel in top field'' i got my bins onto a striking male ring ouzel ''get in matey well spotted'' i replied. The power of suggestion strikes again!!! more wheatears in area aswell and had my first house martin of the year at lamsley, next we went to see how the tawny nest was doing only to discover that there is 2 chicks in the nest now! also some good red kite action in the woods as we watched 2 birds possibly looking for suitable nest site? 62 species seen today.
cheers

Attachments

• ro3.jpg
    ro3.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 28
  • ro4.jpg
    ro4.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 28
  • tawnyowlnestsite.jpg
    tawnyowlnestsite.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 34
Aye, a canny little outing Steve, cheers.
Lovely shot of the tawny chick, mine came out ok (for me) but obviously my zoom being a tad less expensive than yours (ie being built into the camera) it's a no contest in comparison. The ouzel was a beaut, best view I've had of one in quite some time, and like you said, a borough first for me. Was great to see all those blackcaps around, 3 in one bush was a record I think, and the willowy song of the willow warbler everywhere, great stuff.
Nowt further to add except to say the brambling was back on the feeder again this afternoon, otherwise too windy/overcast for any decent skywatching.
See ya later

A.

low barns on sunday.........got my first brambling, first chiffchaff & first black cap,could only manage to get a half decent pic of the brambling, the others were way up in the tree tops.......
was well pleased............

Attachments

• brambling @ low barns#001.jpg
    brambling @ low barns#001.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 27
  • nuthatch @ low barns#001.jpg
    nuthatch @ low barns#001.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 21
  • nuthatch @ low barns 4#001.jpg
    nuthatch @ low barns 4#001.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 23
  • reed bunting @ low barns.1#001.jpg
    reed bunting @ low barns.1#001.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 16
  • chaffinch @ low barns.4#001.jpg
    chaffinch @ low barns.4#001.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 16
Quality not numbers is a way of describing todays outing! was joined by Mouldy today as we headed off to burdon moor, power of suggestion struck again as i asked alan (mouldy) ''have you had ring ouzel in gateshead yet'' to which he replied ''no'' but 30 seconds later alan said ''ring ouzel in top field'' i got my bins onto a striking male ring ouzel ''get in matey well spotted'' i replied. The power of suggestion strikes again!!! more wheatears in area aswell and had my first house martin of the year at lamsley, next we went to see how the tawny nest was doing only to discover that there is 2 chicks in the nest now! also some good red kite action in the woods as we watched 2 birds possibly looking for suitable nest site? 62 species seen today.
cheers

Great shots of the ring ouzel Steve were they on the fell? Would you send me a pm of the location of the tawny's as I am off one day this week and would love to get some shots.

Cheers Ron

low barns on sunday.........got my first brambling, first chiffchaff & first black cap,could only manage to get a half decent pic of the brambling, the others were way up in the tree tops.......
was well pleased............

That list must be grown now! nice shots, been a while since my last visit to low barns? great place.
cheers

Great shots of the ring ouzel Steve were they on the fell? Would you send me a pm of the location of the tawny's as I am off one day this week and would love to get some shots.

Cheers Ron

hi ron
yes ring ouzel was on the fell, but they dont hang around? they just usually pass threw the tops feeding on the way, heading to the breeding grounds. Best bet is to check the gorse bushes on top road? as for the tawny, unfortunatley its in a private wood on farmland with no public access and the owner isnt the most pleasant fellow!
cheers

Last edited:
river derwent

short walk along the derwent this afternoon produced a few blackcaps/willow warblers/chiffchaffs/grey wagtails/dippers and a couple of gooseanders, no kingfishers though.
cheers

Attachments

• g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 22
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 12
Tawny nest update!

One chick has started branching! i eventually found the adult bird keeping a close eye on me, boardwalk closed at shibdon pond until further notice? pitty, was hoping for a sedge/reed warbler soon?
cheers

Attachments

• tawnychick.jpg
    tawnychick.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 14
  • chick2.jpg
    chick2.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 17
  • mothertawny.jpg
    mothertawny.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 21
  • mute@shibdon.jpg
    [email protected]
    102.4 KB · Views: 14
That list must be grown now! nice shots, been a while since my last visit to low barns? great place.
cheers

Aye steve, my list is slowly growing...it still wouldn't even put a dent in yours though...
will be out all weekend again looking for a few more, not sure where yet....

New year tick!

new year tick today thanks to a text from george (derwent7) B :)
cheers
george :t:
common sandpiper at shibdon pond this am, then at 7:30am the bird flew high and north not to be seen again :-C
Bumped in to ron at burdon moor :t: still a few wheatears about and thats about it? full morning out tomorrow! theres hope for something good? maybe a couple of new warblers for me over weekend, would be nice :eek!:
cheers

Attachments

There's hope for something good?

There's hope for something good, i think i said? well something good has appeared! Black scoter at bamburgh will do fine, thats where im off to in morning, providing the fellow hangs around til then? fingers crossed :eek!: let you know how i get on? finally a twitch is on!!!
cheers

A day out of gateshead?

went for the black scoter this morning, ''ticked'' new lifer for me.
worked my way back down the coast stopping of at a few of northumberlands best sites, finished the day at 12:30pm and managed to tick off 80 species (not bad). Birds of interest were ie: birds not easy for gateshead!
Black scoter
common scoter
shag
eider
turnstone
purple sandpiper
long tailed duck
red breasted merganser
guillemot
razorbill
puffin
red throated diver
sandwich tern
stonechat
gadwall
marsh harrier
great crested grebe
grasshopper warbler
avocet

cheers

photo 1,2,3 - grasshopper warbler at druridge pools

Attachments

black scoter photo

Heres a digiscoped shot of black scoter taken in very poor light at distance.
cheers

photo 1:black scoter digiscoped - photo 2:shot taken with a 400mm lens

Attachments

• viewtakenwith400mmlens.jpg
    viewtakenwith400mmlens.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 25
  • blackscoter.jpg
    blackscoter.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
2 new year ticks

2 new warblers today - 4 x whitethroats and a single sedge warbler, sedge was at birtley reed beds and 2 x whitethroats were at burdon moor, whilst the other 2 were at birtley reed beds. Had 2 x roe deer at shibdon and 2 x ringed plover at derwenthaugh staithes, cuckoo was seen at bradley fell taken the gateshead list to 114. Back out in morning to do the rounds, what could be next on the list?
cheers

Attachments

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back