• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip to Cardigan, local biding advice, please ! (1 Viewer)

Geoff Haynes

Hello i am planing a trip to Cardigan end of Sept, would be great to get some bird photography as well.
Any one give me any good locations to go to in the area, would love to get Choughs and any see birds etc.

You could try here Geoff www.welshwildlife.org

I think it's called the Welsh Wildlife Centre in Ceredigion which should be worth a visit though I haven't been in Autumn. Had a cracking view of a Marsh Harrier there a few years back. Obviously for Chough you'll need to head for the coast.

Hope you have a good trip,

Rich

Hi Geoff
Just been to Newport,Not far from Cardigan.
Saw Choughs at Strumble Head and Stackpole Quay.
Have seen them along the Coastal path between Moylegrove and Poppet Sands on previous occasions

Cardigan, St Dogmaels to Poppet Sands has access most of the way along the tidal river, worth a look. A couple of miles inland from Cardigan is a useful reserve, nr Cilgerran. Parrog nr Newport could be useful, as could a walk around Dinas head (I think) just north of Dinas Cross. Further afield is Cors Caron. Lynn Brianne and the RSPB reserve nearby.

I can recommend a visit to the reserve at Lynn Brianne (It's called Dinas) and is near Llandovery but it's a spring reserve really (Wood Warbler, Pied Fly, Redstart, Tree Pipit etc) The best birding you'll get at this time of year is sea watching from Strumble Head and you should get good views of Chough there.
I'd suggest a drive down to Bosherton Lilly ponds too. (Had good views of Otter there)

enjoy and go back in the spring to visit Dinas (and Skomer)

I fully agree with Brian that a trip to Dinas is best appreciated in Spring.

Rich
I can recommend a visit to the reserve at Lynn Brianne (It's called Dinas) and is near Llandovery but it's a spring reserve really (Wood Warbler, Pied Fly, Redstart, Tree Pipit etc) The best birding you'll get at this time of year is sea watching from Strumble Head and you should get good views of Chough there.
I'd suggest a drive down to Bosherton Lilly ponds too. (Had good views of Otter there)

You're certainly right about spring but raptors should still be in evidence.

don't get me wrong it's a great place to visit at any time just for the scenery alone.

Last edited:
Hello i am planing a trip to Cardigan end of Sept, would be great to get some bird photography as well.
Any one give me any good locations to go to in the area, would love to get Choughs and any see birds etc.

A couple of blogs for you to look at.
http://ceredigionbirds33.blogspot.co.uk/
http://pembsbirds.blogspot.co.uk/
Both are excellent and give you the latest sightings which could help you with the birds you are after.
Also skomer is open until the end of October, good chance of choughs from The Wick to Skomer Head
http://skomerisland.blogspot.co.uk/
Wildlife trust for booking Skomer
http://www.welshwildlife.org/skomer-skokholm/skomer/
Skokholm not open to the public until next year.

Charlie

If you do go towards Skomer a walk around the deer park reached from the car park for the boat trips is really worthwhile, plenty of Chough, good views of Raven and Peregrine. spring and summer holds good number of Stonechat and Wheatear plus lot's of sea birds passing by.

Fishguard harbour usually good for Med Gull and waders too

enjoy

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back