• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Seabirds at Borth (1 Viewer)

Steve Gantlett

Norfolk Birder
I was thinking of trying for the shearwaters and other seabirds at Borth this weekend. Does anyone know if the 'event' has started yet this year, or is it, and this weekend coming too perhaps, too early? When does the peak tend to be? And is it best at any particular tide state or time? Any advice really appreciated.

There was a report of 20k Manx Shearwater about a week ago.

It is a moveable feast - the birds follow the food, sometimes they are close by in big numbers, sometimes distant and/or moving.

I think you mighht have to factor weather in too. If I hear anything more concrete I will post here.

In the absence of any definite news on the seabird 'happening' at Borth, I decided to abort last weekend, but I am still very interested if there is any news on the shearwaters coming close in during the next week or two. Any definite info much appreciated....

In the absence of any definite news on the seabird 'happening' at Borth, I decided to abort last weekend, but I am still very interested if there is any news on the shearwaters coming close in during the next week or two. Any definite info much appreciated....

I was there a couple of weeks ago Steve, there were thousands of Manxies present, I've been going for the past four years and never been disappointed. I'd get there early morning, preferably on a rising tide as that's when the fry the birds are feeding on enter the bay. The feeding frenzies that look so spectacular can occur anywhere from the seafront at Borth to the Dyfi estuary, sometimes it's best to base yourself in the north car park at Ynyslas and watch were the birds are gathering, then dash down there in the car if they start gathering off Borth or elsewhere.

If you want to look for Balearics, etc. then you're probably best away from the madness of the frenzies, again the car park at Ynylas is good as masses of shearwaters pass by, but not too many at once - you have time to go through them!

I think you'll see a wider variety of species if you go in the next few weeks rather than when I went. Tern number start to build up on the Dyfi, as do waders, there should be more Med gulls around and a better chance of the odd skua (especially early morning). If you drive north half a mile and park around the level crossing you can walk south down the Ceredigion Coast Path that runs alongside some decent wader scrapes.

Cheers
Jonathan

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back