• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around Liverpool (1 Viewer)

Hydrobates1991

Hello everyone,

I have just arrived in Liverpool from Italy for studying, and I am going to stay here until September. I am birdwatching addicted, so I would like to know good places for birding in Liverpool and nearby areas. Unfortunately I don't have a car, so I have to use public transport or bike.

I will be grateful for any help you can provide! :)

Seaforth in Liverpool docks is the best site in Liverpool, but you need a permit and I am not sure whether there are any available. Nearby Crosby Marina is public and gets many of the same birds.

There are a number of good sites accessible from the train line north of here including Hightown, Formby, Blundellsands, Ainsdale and Birkdale whilst Southport where this line ends has Marshside RSPB reserve.

Stephen

Good suggestions from Stephen... you can walk for miles along the coast north of Seaforth through lots of good habitat and not be far from the train line and back to Liverpool. Going the other way, it's easy to reach the Wirral coast by train and the areas of Red Rocks, Parkgate and Hilbre Island. If you're feeling energetic, you can get the ferry across the Mersey straight onto a cycle path that follows the coast.

All the best

Baz

Going the other way, it's easy to reach the Wirral coast by train and the areas of Red Rocks, Parkgate and Hilbre Island.

I've tended to avoid the train when going to Parkgate - busses to either Heswall or Neston/Parkgate/Ness Gardens are less hassle.

Martin Mere (WWT) is also possible via public transport, the 'easiest' way being train Liverpool to Burscough (change Ormskirk) and walk via the canal to New Lane then along Marsh Moss Lane.

It's very rarely mentioned by anyone, and I'm not sure how good access is these days, but a number of years ago I had some good birdwatching along the Oglet Shore, near the airport.

My first post on here as very much a novice. I think Hale is worth a mention as well. Carr Lane pools and the duck decoy as well as the lanes down to Hale lighthouse.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

You may like to keep a watch on tide tables for the best results in the Mersey. Get the train to Aigburth and take a walk down Otterspool prom to the end.

If you've never seen Dipper they are easy by train from Liverpool. Get to Hope station near Wrexham and walk (2 minutes) to bridge over River Alyn, I see them there all the time. Just be aware that this bridge is a busy walking route for high school kids so can get busy at some times of day. Grey Wagtail & Kingfisher also possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back