• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Want new zoom lens for my canon80d (1 Viewer)

B

Bonnie Miller

Hello everyone, my camera is the canon 80d had it 2 years now, my lens that came with it is the canon 70-300mm lens, I am hoping to get a new zoom lens soon as I can, can I ask what you all use?

Making the assumption you are here with BIRD photography in mind:-

Canon 100-400 mk ii
or
Sigma 150-600 Contemporary or Sport
Tamron 150-600 mk ii

Are what most zoom lens aficionados will use. I'm sure others here will provide thoughts on above. The Canon suits my needs.
Russ

Hello Bonnie,

I have been using the Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L Mark I for the last four years with my 7D Mark II and have been delighted with it. In good light you can attach the 1.4 telextender and despite what many of the YouTubers say, it works fine while giving you that added reach. Especially important to me as it is not unusual for me to not be able to get close.

From all I can find out, the current model MkII 100-400mm L is even better. They are a bit pricey, but are truly superb glass and will enhance the birding experience. I may have to give up the regular use soon though as those lenses are heavy and each year my arthritis complains more about that weight on my neck and shoulders.

I started to suggest using at least the Canon 1.4x telextender as I thought they would work with all L lenses but I don't see the 70-300mm listed as compatible on the Canon website.

An even heavier alternative is the new Sigma Sport 60-600mm f/4.5-6.3. My brother recently purchased one of these for use with his 80D and is getting some really sharp images and says the auto focus has been fast and reliable. His only disappointment has been that he bought it with the Sigma 1.4x telextender and has not been happy with the results when using that. Since it is already at 600mm though, I wouldn't worry much about that.

Hi Bonnie,

As has been mentioned, the Canon 100-400 L ISII is top notch glass. If it's long enough and within the budget, it would have to be top of the value heap.

A little cheaper, a little heavier, but a bit longer reach is the Tamron 150-600 G2 (you can tune and customize this lens to your particular camera body via the USB dock - well worthwhile). Equally good value. I use mine on a Nikon D7200 and carry it around on a Black Rapid sling to shoot handheld - the Canon fit version should be every bit as good. Personally, I wouldn't want to go heavier than this - it's just nice. The minimum focus distance (2.2m) is a little longer than the Canon, though the 50% longer focal length means you'll still get 2/3rds the maximum magnification ratio (image size at MFD) of the Canon.

Either option would be great, and will come down to the distances you usually shoot at, usual light, handling, and budget. Good luck! :)

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
It's a prime telephoto rather than a zoom telephoto, but one option which I'll mention for completeness is the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L. It's an old design but by all accounts they're optically good, they're light and they're cheaper than Canon's 100-400s.

Last edited:
It's a prime telephoto rather than a zoom telephoto, but one option which I'll mention for completeness is the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L. It's an old design but by all accounts they're optically good, they're light and they're cheaper than Canon's 100-400s.

I should have mentioned that in my post. In fact I am considering one of these this summer in the quest to lighten the load a bit. Everyone I've checked with says it is wonderful.

Sigma lens

I'm also in a position of trying to find a good birding lens to go with a Canon 80D (which I've decided is the camera I'm upgrading to this month). I have a friend from college who does professional photography with his wife, and here's his suggestion:

This one is going to be your holy grail, so to speak. The price is pretty much up there, but it's something to aspire to. It's prime audiences are wildlife and sports photographers (for obvious reasons): https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-150-600mm-f-5-6.3-DG-OS-HSM-Sports-Lens.aspx

I had already been looking at the Contemporary rather than Sport. I'm still trying to decide how critical of a factor the extra weight that comes with the Sport is, compared to the superior construction and specs the Sport has over the Contemporary.

I have owned the Tammy 150-600 MkI, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary and the Canon 100-400 MkII. The best lens by a long way IMO is the 100-400 MkII although it is the most expensive so you would expect it to be better.
Of the other I found the Sigma 150-600 'C' to be better than the Tamron although my Tamron was the MkI. The Siggy 150-600 C is excellent value for money.

I had the Sigma 150-600 c and the Canon 100-400 MkII at the same time for a year so was able to compare them directly - I sold the Sigma as it was just not getting any use.

Last edited:
Wait !!

I'm also in a position of trying to find a good birding lens to go with a Canon 80D (which I've decided is the camera I'm upgrading to this month). I have a friend from college who does professional photography with his wife, and here's his suggestion:

This one is going to be your holy grail, so to speak. The price is pretty much up there, but it's something to aspire to. It's prime audiences are wildlife and sports photographers (for obvious reasons): https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-150-600mm-f-5-6.3-DG-OS-HSM-Sports-Lens.aspx

I had already been looking at the Contemporary rather than Sport. I'm still trying to decide how critical of a factor the extra weight that comes with the Sport is, compared to the superior construction and specs the Sport has over the Contemporary.
If you can hold off on the body upgrade for a little while, it seems rumours have it that Canon will possibly be releasing a 7DIII which is rumoured to be something of a hybrid between an upgraded 80D and an upgraded 7DII. The 7DIII is overdue so follow along breaking news in the below thread (the 80D/7DIII rumour surfaced this year - see post#35)
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3812548#post3812548

As far as a lens goes, I would think it pretty much comes down to a choice of two:
Tamron 150-600 G2 https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-150-600mm-f-5-6.3-Di-VC-USD-G2-Lens.aspx
Light enough to comfortably shoot handheld, the Tap in Console means you can fine tune it to your particular body unit and set parameters to your preference, and offering an MFD of 2.2m and dedicated matched TC's (1.4x the pick) for larger MM ratios than is possible with the heavier Sigma Sport. The Tammy's lighter weight of 2kg vs 2.9kg makes all the difference to the enjoyment of shooting (especially handheld or carrying when walking around).

Canon 100-400L ISII. If the budget stretches to this, then it will offer even better IQ, lighter weight, more compact length, and even shorter MFD of 1m and higher again MM ratio, and of course you can also use the 1.4xTC as well.

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back