• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tripods. (1 Viewer)

i dont know what type of eyepiece it was, because there aren't any 20X wa eyepieces for the IS 50. i think the people at LCE got confused.

AC/DC said:
i dont know what type of eyepiece it was, because there aren't any 20X wa eyepieces for the IS 50. i think the people at LCE got confused.

there is a 20x lens for the IS50, its a 25x on the IS60.

Leif said:
This matches my experience. The Delta is fine for a small scope and good value at £39. But at ~£100 it is expensive, and it is not really suitable for an ~80mm scope, and it vibrates quite a bit in the wind. So unless you buy the Delta cheap, go for something like a Velbon CF tripod from WE.

Leif

curiously I got hold of one of Manfrotto's new sooper dooper carbon fibre jobbies and I've decided that I prefer the Delta IV with the Leica APO62.

I'd agree its a little overpriced looks VERY similar to the one Postie recommended for £79 but for £39 a steal.

AC/DC said:
yeah, its just it said it was a wide angle eyepiece, and there isn't a 20X WA eyepiece.

the IS fixed mag eyepiece is described on the optircon website 20xW which would amount to the same thing

oh. its a shame the LCE scope is gone, because know im gonna have to save up more and wont be able to use a telescope when i go out tomorrow. :-(

Hi AC/DC.

No doubt youve already sorted yourself out with a tripod, but if not, dont buy the Velbon CX440, cos its poo!

Basically, it's pretty much useless for birdwatching. Any wind and its unuseable, and when ever you adjust anything, the whole thing flexes and flops about. It's really crud.

I only just bought my first ever scope the other day off the internet (a Hawke Endurance 20-60x60 for £169.35) and obviously needed a tripod. Got the CX440, for £24and am just about to return it. Am replasing it with a Velbon Sherpa 450R for £37 (about £70ish everywhere else. Had to shop around) and the step up in quality is massive. Much more sturdy. Definitely recomend it.

Originally I didnt take any of the advise on this forum because I didnt want to spend the cash, and I figured "how bad could a cheap tripod be"? Turns out very.

J Moss

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back