• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (4 Viewers)

American White Pelican and also my 101st yard bird ;)

I'm posting a pic as no one on my listserv believed me. Apparently quite rare here. Must have had more than 2 dozen calls when I first reported it.

Attachments

• 121412WhitePelicans2a copy.jpg
    121412WhitePelicans2a copy.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 52
American White Pelican and also my 101st yard bird ;)

I'm posting a pic as no one on my listserv believed me. Apparently quite rare here. Must have had more than 2 dozen calls when I first reported it.

KC, they are pretty uncommon here in the winter time too, but we had 33 of them on our Christmas Bird Count last Saturday!

First Lifer of 2013--Long-tailed Tyrant. I was having my morning coffee at an eco-lodge outside of Sabinista, Panama, and a friend with me asked, "What's the bird at the top of that tree, Sue?" I put my cup down and walked out from under the patio and got my bins on a bird barely within range. I was expecting a usual suspect but I didn't reconize the bird and strained to see it better. I readjusted my bins hoping I could get a better look and then got my camera out. I was stumped. It was such a distinct bird and I couldn't figure out why I hadn't seen it in my book. It was a flycatcher; it sallied out and went back to its perch or another very close by. I have gone through my Ridgely's Birds of Panama plates a million times and I could not recall seeing this bird. I finally found it in the 'description' section of my book. For some reason, this little flycatcher was not put on the colored plates with the other tyrants and only had a black and white drawing next to the description. I haven't been on that particular page much as it has some uncommon birds on it. The bird I saw was missing the elongated tail feathers, but the bird is unmistakable anyway.

Just got back from Morocco- only visited Marrakech and Atlas. New birds were Bonelli's eagle; barbary partridge; black wheatear; African blue tit; serin; cirl, house and rock buntings.
On top of that, I'm hoping that Maghreb wheatear and African chaffinch (both of which were new for me) will be split soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back