• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (8 Viewers)

Larry, I did. It wasn't great weather, but managed to see some new ones. And I forgot the Altamira Oriole.

I'm still in shock!

Who would have thought a work trip to Scandinavia would give me not one, not two, not even three.... but FOUR lifers!!

Two days in Sweden and two in Finland, quite busy with meetings, but not so full as to not allow a bit of birding, especially with 20+ hours of daylight! And the real key was my decision to take the ferry between Stockholm and Helsinki rather than fly and have a night in an airport hotel!

An evening of birding in Uppsala added a few species to my Sweden list, but no lifers, especially a few summer visitors, but the first "wow" came on the evening Viking line ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki, which winds its way for 3 hours between islands before reaching the Baltic Sea. Only about 30 minutes out of Stockholm, I had the pleasure of watching an Osprey diving (successfully) for fish, which I thought could not be beaten.... and then came the first lifer: an island packed with roosting cormorant suddenly went crazy and a huge bird landed on one of the dead trees.... WHITE-TAILED EAGLE! Bloody enormous (not far off twice the size of the cormorants) with beautiful sandy-grey head and shoulders! I nearly dropped my bins overboard in my excitement :)

The next morning, as we cruised into Helsinki, I got my second lifer, as a black shape emerged out of the mist frantically heading across the port bow, and revealing a Black Guillemot.

After a couple of days of meetings, I had a couple of hours on my final evening at the Viikki Nature Reserve, just north east of Helsinki city centre (which had previously added three lifers when I visited last year!)... and again, it did not disappoint. As I headed out across the reed beds on the boardwalk, a small group of birders put me onto a Citrine Wagtail, while a 100m further on, a Corn Crake called from the reeds, no more than 10m from the boardwalk, although it remained unseen, it's call was load and clear.

A couple of other surprises also came at Viikki NR - although neither were lifers. The first was a very showy Great Reed Warbler singing from reeds near the hide, while a mystery song rang out from the woodlands as I walked back to the car, which I eventually saw to be an Icterine Warbler, only my second sighting of this species.

White-faced Storm-Petrel –now that's a must-see bird!– , along with the expected other sea- and landbirds of Madeira, including some nice subspecies (Zino's, Desertas, Bulwer's Petrel, Madeiran Storm-Petrel (+ Grant's, helpfully flying side-by-side), Trocaz Pigeon, Madeiran Barn-Owl, Madeiran Firecrest, Madeiran Chaffinch). Quality!

I've got four lifer in a week. Last weekend at Parikkala, South-Karelia I got Red-flanked Bluetail, Montagu's Harrier and Spotted Redshank. Yesterday, here in Kotka, I got a Red-rumped Swallow (Cecropis daurica rufula). B :) None of these wasn't my self founded however.

Red-flanked Bluetail now sings to the southern in Finland than in the past (this is at least the South Karelian first). 350 km from Helsinki-Vantaa Airport. However, from the Oulu airport is only 250 km to Valtavaara, where I think had more than one Bluetail.
Oulu is, however, 600 km north of Helsinki, and the flights are more expensive for there / or in any case you have to make a stopover in Helsinki. The closest to Parikkalas bird you can fly in Lappeenranta (stopover in Helsinki), which is only 110 km drive over to the bird.

Last edited:
Since last post...

Puffin - Fowlsheugh
Woodcock - Snelsmore Common, Berks
Yellow Wagtail - Farmoor, Oxon
Little Tern - Ythan Estuary

I got six today - all but one at Attenborough Nature Reserve; the other by the road en route to East Midlands Airport from Nottingham.

Two were birds that I had thought I had seen when I was younger, but always had question marks against them, but was able to definitely tick them today. These were Grey Partridge (en route to airport) and Reed Warbler.

The other four were Bittern, Cetti's Warbler, Egyptian Goose, Red-crested Pochard. I wasn't 100% sure about ticking the latter two. Both are on the BOU list and on Attenborough's list of species, but I got the feeling that they, especially the pochard, were from domesticated stock.

There was also a Barnacle Goose there (a species I've seen many times before) but again looks like it has a suspect background being there in June! Luckily I had already seen this species this year.

I'm in fire... Woodlark at last Saturday (in Pyhtää, South-East Finland)! And this was founded by myself.
There is some good points to be a (some kind) beginner...B :)

I spent the weekend on the Farne Islands, and was able to tick off three Sandwich Tern, Arctic Tern and Common Tern plus Kittiwake. The second two probably weren't strictly lifers but I wasn't confident enough to tick them when I finally got around to doing a life list.

This morning I saw my first Hooded Warbler, an adult male bird discovered yesterday at Huntington Central Park in Huntington Beach. It turned out to be incredibly convenient that it showed up, since the bird my friend and I were originally headed down to Orange County to see (a Bridled Tern) ended up being a one-day wonder earlier this week at the Bolsa Chica tern colony. Substituting one possible lifer for another is fine by me.

2 weeks ago had 3 UK ticks in one day (very rare to get more than 1 in a day) with Greater Yellowlegs, Hudsonian Whimbrel + Black-eared Wheatear. It did amuse me that the bird on my list before Hudsonian Whimbrel was Hudsonian Godwit- amazing coincidence!

After a year without a tick of any description in 2014, it had seemed a long time since my last one - Hawk Owl in Helsinki on 7 December 2013.

However, this year has been a bit of an avalanche with Nanday Parakeet and African Collared Dove slightly shame-faced WP additions on the Canaries on 25 February & 1 March respectively, then Great Blue Heron a proper British & WP addition on 17 April and Hudsonian Godwit not only a proper British & WP tick but also a World tick on 25 April.

Since then Moltoni's Warbler on 23 May 2015 on Fair Isle brought the British ticks up to three for the year and Brown Fish Owl at the Green Canyon site in Turkey on Saturday has taken the WP ticks to five (not including the Moltoni's on different taxonomy).

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• HawkOwlstaring.JPG
    HawkOwlstaring.JPG
    364.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 7H6A6057.JPG
    7H6A6057.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 36
  • BFOwl - flying.jpg
    BFOwl - flying.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
2 lifers at last week: Tuesday I finally go to watch female Red-crested Pochard in Pyhtää (Only about 10 km from home). It has been there now nearly three weeks.
Also I got a tip that in Miehikkälä - one protected forestarea (60 km from home) - this summer nesting a Three-toed Woodpecker. And I found it! I didn´t want to go too near it, so I took couple of pictures the adult Woody for a distant. I couldn´t even see the nest hole but I heard the chicks. Now I have seen all Finnish Woodpeckers. B :)
Also same tip told me that the same forest is home of Pygmy Owl and Goshawk but I didn't see them. They would not have been a lifers - so no big harm happened. Alltough the Goshawk would have brought me a year tick. And I don't yet have a photo for it - so maybe small pity...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back