• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glasses or no glasses? Focusing Problem (1 Viewer)

jvanoyen

I'm new to birding and need advice. Here is my question. When I focus my scope without my glasses, is the scope truly focused? Will it be a different setting if I focus with my glasses on? Can this account for pictures that are not real sharp?
And the BIG question is: Will the AF of the camera adjust for a slightly out of focus scope? I would be very interested in your advice and experiences!

I have been reading about technic and it seems that many close focus the scope (but with glasses or no glasses?) and then afix the camera and shoot.

Thanks in advance of replys.
jvanoyen

jvanoyen said:
I'm new to birding and need advice. Here is my question. When I focus my scope without my glasses, is the scope truly focused?
yes - on your retina, taking into account your vision

Will it be a different setting if I focus with my glasses on? Can this account for pictures that are not real sharp?

The setting will probably be different, and may account for the difference. The AF of the camera will usually adjust for slight differences - if they are more that 1 dioptre or you are unlucky enough to focus on the edge of the range then maybe not

I get better results focusing with glasses then attaching camera. But I don't really get great results from digiscoping which is probably more due to camera shake than focus ;)

I'm not expert but I'd say that if you focus without your glasses on then the scope/binoculars are not truely focussed, they're only focussed to your eyes and not truely sharp-focussed.

For example, if I focus a pair of binoculars without my glasses on, then give the bins to my girlfriend, who has very good sight and doesn't need glasses, the image is blurred for her and she needs to refocus.

I hope I've got the gist of your post and answered it OK! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back