• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

looking for a *large* squirrel proof (cage) feeder (1 Viewer)

This is my current feeder set up here in Florida. Up north I have several types of baffle but this style of inverted cone works best.

Attachments

• IMG_3042.1.jpg
    IMG_3042.1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 85
Since I've gone over to the "Squirrel Buster Feeders" I've had no problems with them. The minute they land on the feeder the ports shut down. They don't even try any more.

I have had squirrels best these when attached to a pole. They knock them to the ground then proceed to loot. I suppose not securing it well enough was my fault though. That said they work about as well as anything.

My battles with Squirrels have finally ended. A small dog cage is quite large. Cost £10 on a boot sale .The cage mesh has 35mm gaps which defeats most Squirrels.
I live next to a wood and the novelty of feeding Squirrels has worn off when I see 5 helping themselves to my sunflower seeds and peanuts every morning
Screwed on top of an old feeder stand the small dog cage is perfect with its removable plastic tray which needs a few small drainage holes drilling . So far in 3 months only one has wriggled through, a runty one but I ve trapped 5 Squirrels lately and I think I ve got the one which squeezed through.
I do recommend the Amazon small animal trap as well, coats around £16 and works well, to lower the Squirrel numbers visiting raiding the sunflowers seeds for ground feeders like Chaffinch s
So the best anti Squirrel bird feeder, for me, is a small dog cage with 35 mm mesh gap.
I will post a photo just as soon as I find out how to resize !

Attachments

• IMG_7772.jpg
    IMG_7772.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Me personally, I would be glad of having Squirrels in the garden on a frequent basis. Only had one Grey and one Red in 30 odd years.

Haha, be careful what you wish for. We have these massive fox squirrels out here that can be a real menace. Before I started feeding the birds out back I always liked them, but now I only like them when they are not in my yard. They are beyond creative and have destroyed bird feeders when you would not think it possible. I even had one that got so bold it decided, "why bother with the scraps in the feeder"? and proceeded to chew a hole through my screen door and came in my house to look for the mother lode itself.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back