• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Moths (1 Viewer)

656 Tachystola acroxantha (Meyrick, 1885)
874 Blastobasis lacticolella (Wollaston, 1858)
1524 Common Plume Emmelina monodactyla (Linnaeus, 1758)
998 Light Brown Apple Moth Epiphyas postvittana (Walker, 1863)
1041 Acleris sparsana ([Denis & Schiffermüller], 1775)
1395 Rusty Dot Pearl Udea ferrugalis (Hübner, 1796)
1745 The Mallow Larentia clavaria (Haworth, 1809)
1760 Red-green Carpet Chloroclysta siterata (Hufnagel, 1767)
1937 Willow Beauty Peribatodes rhomboidaria ([Denis & Schiffermüller], 1775)
2477 The Snout Hypena proboscidalis (Linnaeus, 1758)
2245 Green-brindled Crescent Allophyes oxyacanthae (Linnaeus, 1758)
2389 Pale Mottled Willow Paradrina clavipalpis (Scopoli, 1763)
2384 Vine's Rustic Hoplodrina ambigua ([Denis & Schiffermüller], 1775)
2272 Barred Sallow Tiliacea aurago ([Denis & Schiffermüller], 1775)
2267 Beaded Chestnut Agrochola lychnidis ([Denis & Schiffermüller], 1775)
2264 Yellow-line Quaker Agrochola macilenta (Hübner, 1809)
2270 Lunar Underwing Omphaloscelis lunosa (Haworth, 1809)
2258 The Chestnut Conistra vaccinii (Linnaeus, 1761)
2237 Grey Shoulder-knot Lithophane ornitopus (Dadd, 1911)
2247 Merveille du Jour Griposia aprilina (Linnaeus, 1758)
2231 Deep-brown Dart Aporophyla lutulenta ([Denis & Schiffermüller], 1775)
2232 Black Rustic Aporophyla nigra (Haworth, 1809)
2252 Large Ranunculus Polymixis flavicincta ([Denis & Schiffermüller], 1775)
2195 The Delicate Mythimna vitellina (Hübner, 1808)
2194 White-point Mythimna albipuncta ([Denis & Schiffermüller], 1775)
2087 Turnip Moth Agrotis segetum ([Denis & Schiffermüller], 1775)
2092 Shuttle-shaped Dart Agrotis puta (Hübner, 1803)
2107 Large Yellow Underwing Noctua pronuba Linnaeus, 1758
2109 Lesser Yellow Underwing Noctua comes Hübner, 1813
2126 Setaceous Hebrew Character Xestia c-nigrum (Linnaeus, 1758)

My Oct so far.

Min temp last night was 11C ... mildest for some while. No megas or big numbers, but a somewhat different selection than usual. 17 of 11

Lunar Underwing 3
Lesser Yellow Underwing 3 (first time it's been top moth)
Black Rustic 2
Feathered Ranunculus 2
Large Yellow Underwing 1
Silver Y 1
Angle Shades 1
Herald 1 NFG
Merveille de Jour 1
Beaded Chestnut 1
Turnip Moth 1

Last edited:
Trapped last night despite the near-certainty of a wet finish (which it was).

3 Black Rustic
3 Large YUW
6 Lesser YUW
1 Vines Rustic (or maybe Uncertain if too late for former. Blast. Should have looked closer.)
1 Feathered Thorn (tick)
1 Blair's Shoulder Knot (NFY)
1 November Moth, plain variant (agg at the moment)

John

Last edited:
Trapped last night despite the near-certainty of a wet finish (which it was).

1 Vines Rustic (or maybe Uncertain if too late for former. Blast. Should have looked closer.)

On both Norfolkmoths and Somerset Moths websites Vine's is far and away the default moth of the 3 (VRu, Rustic and Uncertain) in October. If it looked like a Vine's ...

On both Norfolkmoths and Somerset Moths websites Vine's is far and away the default moth of the 3 (VRu, Rustic and Uncertain) in October. If it looked like a Vine's ...

It did. I'll check Hants Moths Flying Tonight as well but sounds like QED to me. Cheers Dan!

John

my hopes of a Merveille du Jour are waning....

All my first ones from last week were outside the trap in the evening; I tend to check the trap and immediate area briefly mid-evening and again just before turning in. Once it was still there in the morning and the other day 2 were inside, but def worth checking pm I think.

Re - Merveilles - I've now caught quite a few (15 on spreadsheet) and only one has ever been in the trap all the others were on the table, the wall or the fence. They really don't like going in. I check my trap every 15 to 20 minutes normally which seems to be why I find lots I think, but also the only big tree near me is an oak that undoubtedly contributes to the cause. I think that is what advert breaks in films are for, so moth-ers can check their traps (they think of everything those TV schedulers).

Cheers chaps, and wouldn't you know it, what's that lurking behind a pipe running down the back wall last night.... Ta-dah!!

Not much else, don't much care!

Attachments

• IMG_8105.JPG
    IMG_8105.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8171.JPG
    IMG_8171.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8187.JPG
    IMG_8187.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8229.JPG
    IMG_8229.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 14
Twelve moths of nine species thsi morning, with singles of everything apart from Beaded Chestnut. It was mostly 'more of the same' apart from this Scarce Bordered Straw which was new for the garden and, I think, also Dan's list.

Attachments

• DSC_2435.jpg
    DSC_2435.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 13
Nice one Mr Andrewes. M du J is always a great moth no matter how many you see. A jewel.

That Scarce Bordered Straw is pretty cool too.

20/10. 25 moths of 18 species.
Got to my target of 420 for garden by year end (with a couple of months to spare) when I found a Figure of Eight on the wall, a superb moth. in serious declined from the literature. 421 was a Pine Carpet. Another nice one was Blair's Shoulder-knot as I'd had a caterpillar years ago on Lawson Cypress but not had an adult. The rest - Large Yellow Underwing, Beaded Chestnut, Merveille du Jour, Hypsopygia glaucinalis, Willow Beauty, Blastobasis lacticolella, Black Rustic, Diamond-back Moth, Setaceous Hebrew Character, Lesser Yellow Underwing, Brown-house Moth, Lunar Underwing, Chestnut, Garden Carpet and Green-brindled Crescent.
Will it ever stop raining?

11 macros of 7 species, most noteworthy being my first Setaceous Hebrew Character and Flame Shoulder for about a month, the latter is, I think, new for the cumulative October list.

Min temp last night was 11.5C, and although it was lightly raining when I went out to the trap think it was probably dry overnight. A lot less windy than previous night.
Best session in Oct - 43 of 19 macros, plus one micro (only second micro I've had all month I believe, the other being LBAM)

Anyway -

Common Marbled Carpet 2
Red Green Carpet 1 NFG
Red-line Quaker 1
Yellow-line Quaker 1 NFG
Spruce Carpet (or possibly Grey Pine, have to check) 1
Black Rustic 10 (including 1 very brown individual)
Large Yellow Underwing 11
Angle Shades 1
Autumnal Rustic 1
Lesser Yellow Underwing 3
Beaded Chestnut 3
White-speck 1 NFG An immigrant!!
Lunar Underwing 1
Turnip Moth 1 (different to earlier one)
Green-brindled Crescent 1
Square-spot Rustic 1
Garden Carpet 1
Pale Mottled Willow 1
Setaceous Hebrew Character 1

Been struggling with pics and using partner's phone, but hopefully these from the last few days -

Herald, Silver Y, Merveille de Jour; orangey version, Feathered Ranunculus

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Just checked out my November Moth agg from a few days ago and can confirm it was a male November Moth from the spines on underside of last segment.

Nice pictures dantheman. Herald is one I haven't had and keep looking for, wouldn't mind a Feathered Ranunculus too.

Cheers!

Struggled to resize because these are portrait but was going to post a few more up for the record.

Herald with the nearest leaf (almost a perfect match bizarrely), Turnip and the White-speck. Not a good day to take pics outside (been raining all day, although meant to be clearing up around about now). I know I've caught Herald before, the book says fairly infrequent to light, but remember seeing in garden sheds and that occasionally in the past. Almost real-life lava flow ...

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    877.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • image014.jpg
    image014.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 8
  • image015.jpg
    image015.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
21/10. 12 moths of 9 species. 4 Setaceous Hebrew Character, Barred Sallow, Merveille du Jour, Lesser Yellow Underwing, Pale Mottled Willow, Black Rustic, Spruce Carpet, Ypsolopha ustella and a Caloptilia sp.
Numbers low after 12 hours of rain and very windy last night making it feel pretty cold. Stopped trapping at 00:30.

Last night a more normal (but still good in variety terms) 18 of 12, plus 2 micros.

Black Rustic leading the way with 5, followed by 2 each of Angle Shades, Turnip Moth and Yellow-line Quaker. Other highlights a Red-line Quaker, Garden Carpet, Grey Pine Carpet (the questionable one the other day was too), and best of all a Dark Chestnut on the side of the trap. Yet to record Chestnut. Think Barred Sallow is a rarity in Cornwall.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back