• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Small Bins for <$125. Feeder Viewing! (1 Viewer)

phorts

OK, Back to the drawing board. I had a pair of Leupold Yosemite 6x30's in my cart ready to go but bailed once i talked to the rep about my concerns with their Close Focus of just 16.4 ft. I'm worried that they will not be ideal when viewing our feeders at just over 16' away.

Now that i've done about as much research as my eyes will allow, I have a better set of criteria and requirements to go on. Please help me find our first pair of bins!

REQUIREMENTS:

Less than $125. Not $175, not $150.... Please. TY.
6x-8x Magnification
Close Focus <15'
"Small" Form Factor (Compact Roof or Small Porro)
Easy to Use/Focus
Lightweight
Waterproof
30mm or above
Quality Optics
Solid Build (not plastic)

USES:

Feeder Viewing from inside Sliding Glass Door at approx 16-20ft - Main Use
Hiking
GeoCache Hunting
Beach
Sporting Events
Stargazing
General Use

I REALLY LOVED the Leupold Yosemites (from everything i read and saw) and if they had a closer focus i would have had NO hesitation in ordering them with full intention of loving every bit of them for years to come. Perfect form, design, quality and everything i was looking for...except the CLOSE FOCUS! AHH! I'm truly hoping there is something of this high praise for their quality and performance but with a closer focus and still remain in my price range.

I understand that the Compact Roofs are generally what i'm looking for but are generally 25mm and can have too small of a Exit Pupil and therefore be too dim. Hence the 30mm Objective requirement. I also understand that Roof Prisms at similar quality to the Yosemite Porros can be upwards of $150-200 and up from there. If i had the $$ i'd be buying the Leupold Katmai 6x32's but..well..i just don't, hence the $125 ABSOLUTE LIMIT.

If they're out there, i know y'all know about em! Even if I have to go eBay hunting or purchase someone's used pair, I'm down!

Thanks for all of your helpful insight, it's been a treat learning about this hobby :D

Thank you. Oh...and it's for an Xmas Present so i gotta order it before this weekend! hehe..

Last edited:
Get the Yosemites,they generally focus closer than the specification limit..plus if your feeder is 16 feet away,..You just need to go 0.4 feet back!(in the worst case scenario)...I owned a pair of 6.5 vortex raptors(very similar to Yosemites),and close focus was better than the specifications..not much than 10 feet,if i remember well...Celestron also have a new line of 8x30 inexpensive(looks also based in the yosemite design and enclosure),not sure of close focus on that one...

checked the specifications on the celestron nature 8x30 and close focus is 8 feet!..pretty good.also features the narrow Interpupillary distance setting ,to acomodate to ALL people...life time NO_FAULT warranty is a good warranty,if you are in a budget..I think a 8x is probably more useful as a general purpose and the 8x30 celestron have a 8.2 degrees!!!!! FOV...!!! MASSIVE..18 mm eye relief..pretty good indeed..

.......Celestron also have a new line of 8x30 inexpensive(looks also based in the yosemite design and enclosure),not sure of close focus on that one...

Are you talking about this one?

http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?CatID=98&ProdID=600

That really does fit all of my requirements, save for maybe the build and optic quality is obviously not as good as the Leupolds. However, even at 8x their FOV is actually better than the 6x Yosemites (430 vs 420) and AFOV (8.2 vs 8.0)..albeit marginally.

For our first Bin, i think this might have the best of all all worlds and wont break the bank. Off to read some reviews!

Thank You.

Are you talking about this one?

http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?CatID=98&ProdID=600

That really does fit all of my requirements, save for maybe the build and optic quality is obviously not as good as the Leupolds.

Maybe not as good,maybe the same,maybe better...make sure (if you order by mail)of testing BOTH barrels ,and make sure they are collimated and that they actually(both)have decent optics,,,the design is OK,and should have good optics,the problem here(I had this problem with a pair of Vortex RAPTOR,most likely from the same factory)is Quality control....If you have a chance to buy in person and try a few pairs,You should get a decent bino !otherwise make sure your pair is not a lemon,..If it is a lemon,send it back..good luck

The reviews are consistent with good optics and somehow crude finish..well ...50 bucks!..not bad at all..you migh find a 6x30 yosemite with the extra 75$ left,( Eb@Y )...

So... you changed your mind because a SALESMAN convinced you that 6x would be too weak. Or that they're not waterproof enough?

Let's see... not in stock... well you didn't want those anyway

I'll tell you that you were on the right track with the Yosemites @ 6x.

Cabelas $79 on sale. Black (goes with everything)

I have the red versions and the color is kind of muddy red. Not super attractive (and it fades over time!).

Now go get em! If you don't like they will take them back no problem.

Cheers

So... you changed your mind because a SALESMAN convinced you that 6x would be too weak. Or that they're not waterproof enough?

Let's see... not in stock... well you didn't want those anyway

I'll tell you that you were on the right track with the Yosemites @ 6x.

Cabelas $79 on sale. Black (goes with everything)

I have the red versions and the color is kind of muddy red. Not super attractive (and it fades over time!).

Now go get em! If you don't like they will take them back no problem.

Cheers

He had plenty of black ones in stock which would have been fine. And, as i've said about 5 times between this thread and the other that you chimed in on, my main concern with them was Close Focus View. He just confirmed my suspicion is all.

I've read just about every thread out there on the Yosemite 6x and 8x and Celestron Nature 8x. The one with LilCrazy and ND going back and forth was quite entertaining. The point is clear, and that is to puchase from a quality vendor with a good return policy and will check as bst I can for any defects upon arrival. I will be ordering a pair online (maybe from Celestron to make sure i get them in time and that i am not gunna get stiffed on any return delay/issues).

@mayoayo - How would i go about checking "Both Barrels" for quality. I dont have a trained eye by any means (last time i looked through a pair of binoculars was by popping in $.25 at the beach), and am afraid the only defects i'll be able to discern are those that are blatently obvious.

Thank You!

The Nikon Prostaff ATB 8x25 for example will do everything you need. For example here:
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-ProStaf...6GEK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292537979&sr=8-2

A very good compact. Sharp, flatish field of view, waterproof, close focus, well built. Might fit your needs perfectly.... But then there is the view through the Yosemite!!! If I needed another small pair I know which would be my choice... even if I needed to step back a couple of feet. (I've not seen the Celestron)

David

About Ebay Hunting..there is a pair of Swift Ultralite 8x32 right now for 149 $ Buy It NOw...make an offer for yuor price...now that is a better binocular than the celestron...

Phorts

Since I am the one that posted the review on the Celestron natures let me add this: They can be very good or very bad. I went thru 5 pairs to get 2 keepers. The close focus is about 10 ft which is higher than advertised, and most members have posted that the close focus on the Yosemites are in the 10 to 12 ft range rather than the 16ft advertised. I still wonder about the long term longevity of the Celestrons. I bought them all off Amazon with Adorama as the supplier and received them within 3 days of ordering and never had a problem on the returns.

I too have feeders at the edges of my patio, but have found that if you get right up to the glass that the birds scatter, but will come back if you stay still. Best to view them from 2 to 3 ft from the glass. About the only way you will get a close focus of less than 10 ft is to buy a decent roof

The Yosemites should be fine for what you want. I see many internet sellers advertising the red Yosemites in stock even though they are a discontinued model from Leupold. Do a google search on " Yosemite 61170" for the 6x30 or "Yosemite 62520" for the 8x30. The red color is like a brick color rather than red.

The salesman is wrong in what he told you about waterproofing/fogging. Binoculars are nitrogen filled and sealed to prevent internal fogging, and O ring sealed for waterproofness. Just about any binocular taken from a very cold temperature to a warm one may fog up externally. At short distances of 20 ft or so you will notice a slight image difference between 6x and 8x, but at short distances you will appreciate the increased depth of field that the lesser magnifications afford.

Good, inexpensive porros don't get much smaller than the Yosemites and Celestrons, but you will be hard pressed to find any porro with a close focus of less than 10 ft.

Eagle Optics has the Yosemite 6x30 for $80, year in, year out. Mine (which my son now uses and loves) focus around 12-13 feet. I got my first 135 birds with them, and they are exceptional first binoculars, and more ...

David

UGH! Hahaa. I hate how helpful you are! Thanks though, very good info. I LITERALLY had the Celestrons in my Celestron basket and didnt hit Submit order cuz the delivery time was 3-7 days and saw an email come in on this thread, so i decided to check it out.

Just SOOO tempting for $50 SHIPPED... AHHH.

Yeah it sounds like the REAL LIFE Close Focus for these are much closer to each other than the specs would suggest.... I wish I had the Celstron 8x30 and the Yosemite 6x and 8x all here in my kitchen so i could test them..but.... that aint hapnin!

So i think i've effectively ruled out the 8x Yosemites. Just too much $$ and they're dimmer than the others. Also less of a FOV than the others.

So, do i pay the $$ and get go for the comfort of knowing I am getting a quality product that will last in the Leupold 6x30

OR

Do I save some $$ and roll the dice with the Celestron 8x30....

choices.. And she's getting black..lol..this business of trying to find a Red Bin is just silly, but thanks for the help on that.

Sonofa.

Eagle Optics has the Yosemite 6x30 for $80, year in, year out. Mine (which my son now uses and loves) focus around 12-13 feet. I got my first 135 birds with them, and they are exceptional first binoculars, and more ...

David

They dont right now, unfortunately.

Phorts
The view from a GOOD pair of Celestrons is equal to the Yosemites, but they do not come in 6x30. They are also cheaper in price and build quality, so what is most important? If the vast majority of your viewing is going to be looking out at the feeders, then I would opt for the 6x for the greater depth of field

You may want to try www. swfa.com as they are showing both the black & natural 6x30 Yosemites at $79.99 and they will match prices, and they are an excellent outfit as well. There is also an ebay seller with a buy it now for $80.99 shipped that I have bought from before (different item)
http://swfa.com/Leupold-BX-1-Yosemite-Binoculars-C3461.aspx

I sensed that in some ways you wanted a compact roof instead of a porro, but got talked out of it due to the responses. An 8x25 roof is a lot smaller and lighter than an 8x32 or 8x36 roof, and also slightly dimmer for the first & last 30 to 45 minutes of light, or on a very cloudy day. During normal daylight hours you will notice little if any differences in brightness. In order to get a decent roof it has got to have phase coating and not many 25mm roof binos have it for less than $200. The little 9x25 Bushnell legend I recommended on ebay does (I see the seller raised the price from $85 to $99), and the little Kruger 8x25 has outstanding specs for $80. I have ordered one of the Kruger/Columbia 8x25's myself to try out. I know the 9x25 Legend has great optics as I have one and tested it side by side with a Zeiss Victory 10x25 I bought.

Another great roof prism bino is the 7x36 or 8x36 Bushnell Excursion EX which can be had for right around the $125 max you listed with a little digging around. They are pretty much similar optics to the 8x32 old style Legend "Tero" recommended in your other post. Tero gave them a favorable review but had a problem with the diopter - I have had 2 pairs of the 8x36 with no problems and they are fine little roof binos for the $$ - probably the best around at the $125 point.

As you can see, everything is a tradeoff

What's this Leupold BX-1 Yosemite 6x30 and 8x30s? The body design looks a little more Batmanish. (which i think is cool).

But i cant find this same design anywhere else on the net. Are these new, old, or custom body for SWFA?

Weird.

And about the wanting the roofs. You're right, but that was only my original thought as that's all we tried out in the store. I just figured that the mid sized bins would be too heavy, or too powerful and something that would be too much bin for our needs. After reviewing the smallish porros like the yosemites, i've grown quite fond of the advantages they provide, mainly the way they feel in the hands. So, despite my original instinct, i'm leaning heavily to the porros. Thanks again for taking the time to provide all of this great info and advice on everything.

Still undecided..... HAHA> I like that one dudes sig "It's just binoculars. Pick one and go look at the birds". So True.

I didn't notice that until you brought it up about the BX-1 on SWFA's website. Leupold does not show a BX-1 Yosemite on their website nor do they show the model numbers in their ordering info. Other than the external difference on the armoring, which I also think is cooler. - the main difference is that SWFA list the close focus of the BX-1 at 10 ft instead of the 16.4 ft, and the eye relief at 18.5mm instead of 20mm. The biggest complaint many non-eyeglass users of the normal 6x30 (20mm ER) had was that they had to hold the binos slightly away from their eyes to avoid blackouts. The reduced eye relief of the BX-1 would eliminate that problem.

Certainly worth investigating as based on the specifications I would rather have the BX-1, but I wonder if Leupold has changed the optical quality.

If you go back to SWFA's main page on the Leupold binos they are still showing the original Yosemites but at a discontinued closeout price of $74.95for the 6x30, so it looks like Leupold may be discontinuing the old line in favor of the BX-1's.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-Green-Ring-Yosemite-Binoculars-C331.aspx

Yeah I noticed that. Could this be the answer to my prayers? Or just some cruel hoax!? Haha. Just as I was beginning to say f*k it and go with the Celestrons for the price, extra 2x mag and closer focus....then these had to come along...

It certainly does appear they r closing out the "green ring" Yosemites but for $5 more you can have this new mystery model. I find it hard to beleive that this distributor would have the product up on their site before the mfr but. I've seen it happen before.

Worth a call to swfa and/or leupold tomorrow to get to the bottom of this. I'll report back. It would be cool to scoop a new bin as a newbie! Haha.

One other interesting spec on the BX-1s is that they list the exit pupil as 4.6... I thought it was objective/mag?

This changes the game. But they still don't have the red! Haha. I kid i kida

They have the BatX-1 in natural,(not as Bat matching )...not red,but..(Now!,and Although They´re usually more expensive , they make the yosemite in super fancy pink mossy oak!..)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back