• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comic Tern from Southern Western Australia- Common Tern? (1 Viewer)

Dimitris

Birdwatcher in Oz
Hello All,

I've photographed this bird today in southern Western Australia and I am thinking that it's a very battered Common Tern in non breeding plumage.

Confirmation or alternative identification is appreciated. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of the underwing (was too focused on those nice Banded Stilts next to it...)

Cheers,

D.

Attachments

• Commom Tern 4.jpg
    Commom Tern 4.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Common Tern 2.jpg
    Common Tern 2.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 221
  • Common Tern 3.jpg
    Common Tern 3.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Common Tern.jpg
    Common Tern.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 228
OK, I will give it a try:

Bill seems slightly strong, but on the other hand you have a subspecies I have never seen.

The black shoulder bar seen on the standing bird is better for common than for arctic

I would also have expected to be able to see a (the same?) bar on the coverts of the flying bird but light conditions and worn plumage probably explain that.

So I am leaning the same way as you do.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back