• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Gloucestershire (3 Viewers)

Ste-gull

Risegeterd Uesr
Ive been into gloucestershire a few times now for birding but theres not a massive tonne of info on the areas sightings etc. Thought Id set this up to see if that can change. Always good to share our news.

Ive noticed on birdtrack turtle dove has been recorded the last few days around stratford near ripple. Has anyone got any more info on these? Would make it onto my life list and it wouldnt half be a treat full stop.

Cheers all!

Theres no mention of the turtles recorded near ripple mind. hmmm...

Ripple is in Worcestershire so is unlikely to be mentioned on The Gloster Birder website.

If you are after Turtle Dove, your best bet is Golden Valley between Coombegreen Common and Hollybed Common. A couple of males have been heard and seen here this year. They are occasionally recorded at Ripple but as with many of their former county haunts numbers are dwindling.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Ripple is in Worcestershire so is unlikely to be mentioned on The Gloster Birder website.

If you are after Turtle Dove, your best bet is Golden Valley between Coombegreen Common and Hollybed Common. A couple of males have been heard and seen here this year. They are occasionally recorded at Ripple but as with many of their former county haunts numbers are dwindling.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Smashing. I'll have a look into that then. Cheers Brian.

Much appreciated both!

Had a probable Honey buzzard flyover chipping campden on Friday. Very dark, only a small amount of pale in the wings and long tailed. No optics to hand at the time unfortunately.

Wondered if any are known to be in the area?

Can someone supply me with the dates that a Ringed-billed Gull wintered in a small park in Stroud around 1992 please. Also the name of the park.

Can someone supply me with the dates that a Ringed-billed Gull wintered in a small park in Stroud around 1992 please. Also the name of the park.

Hi Martyn,

I've dug out my Gloucs reports for '92 and '93 and it was in Stratford Park from November 27th '92 to the first winter period of '93 and returned for the second winter of '93 but doesn't mention specific dates in '93.

Brian

Crabtree Hill Two barred crossbills

I've been planning a trip (if they stick around) to find the 2barX's in the forest of dean near Crabtree Hill.

I've been doing my research on the location and if it's of any use to anybody else I've attached a screen shot of a map with the approx location shown with an orange arrow.

Hope this is of use to people.

Attachments

• 2barXbills.jpg
    2barXbills.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 151
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back