• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small bins:which ones? Help needed (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,
after so many frustrating times when, driving my car, I spot an unusual bird, stop and stare but the subject is too far away, I decided to buy a pair of small bins to keep always in my car.
They shouldn't be too large (I already own a pair of 7x42), preferably rubber-coated and hopefully not so expensive ... I've checked a few models, but options available are way too many and choice is getting hard
Any advice re. brand, model, magnification etc. will be welcome!
Thank you very much,
Max

Nikon has smallish porros, 8x25, in the Travelite series. The waterproof version has better eye cups. Other reverse porros also available in most brands, 8x25, and there is a small 8x25 Opticron many people like, Taiga, cost some 90 pounds in UK. Someone else should describe it. There may be a few 7x25 models somewhere. Bushnell? Eagle Optics lists a few 7x18 cheap pairs, should be available in Europe under some name, but they are roof prisms. Porros are better in optics in the cheap end.

Pentax has a 6.5x21 Papilio, about 120-130 dollars here.

Last edited:
Olympus do the DPC 8x21 model, which can be had very cheaply, for about £20-£30 (or local equivalent). They are an excellent quality low cost pair of bins, I have a pair that live in the car and produce some very good quality images for a pair of compact binoculars.

check out the Opticron Taiga 8x25, they are an excellent compact binocular - good optics, easy to use and won't break the bank...

as posty says the Taiga's are excellent. I was also impressed with the Travelite ex 8x25, priced about £95

I went through the same dilemma a few months back, checked out all the models I could, loved the Taigas and the Travelites, but eventually decided to save up and splash out and bought Leica Ultravid 8x20, rubber-armoured version. A lot more expensive, but they met all my requirements; brilliant optics, small, reasonable FOV. Worth saving for.

I have the Leica 8 x 20 Trinovid which you can still find. It's about 100 bucks less than the Ultravid and is not waterproof but I don't swim with it anyway. It fits nicely in my shirt pocket and I'm never without it. A great binocular! Very sharp with a big, bright view. I use it at Opera's and concerts and sports events also, it's so small and unobtrusive. BTW, I DON'T keep these in my car and I don't recommend anyone doing so. I kept a 9 x 25 Nikon Travelite in my car, but the bumps finally got to it and it went out of collimation. Maybe I'll replace it with an ATB.

Bob

Last edited:
If you are going to keep it in your car then perhaps it doesnt need to be very small. I suppose the size will depend on where you are going to keep it - glove box, door pocket, under seat, etc. This will also affect the robustness requirement. However I suppose it should be cheap - it doesnt want to be a thief magnet if left out. Porros usually look less attactive / expensive to the potential thief. It you like 7x, how about some 7 x 35?

gmax said:
Hello everybody,
after so many frustrating times when, driving my car, I spot an unusual bird, stop and stare but the subject is too far away, I decided to buy a pair of small bins to keep always in my car.
They shouldn't be too large (I already own a pair of 7x42), preferably rubber-coated and hopefully not so expensive ... I've checked a few models, but options available are way too many and choice is getting hard
Thank you very much,
Max

The Pentax Papilio's would pretty much fill your bill, as long as the model does not have to be waterproof. The 6.5x21 model sells now for 129 US$ at EO. But EO does not ship to Italy. I have no idea what they cost in Europe.
One great advantage of this model is its extreme close focus. Another one is the fact that it is a reverse porro type. Thus giving better quality for the costs than a roof model.

Hello everybody,
Thank you very much,
Max

Bumping it up! Please add your advice, TIA

A brief resume:

"Porros are better in optics in the cheap end"
A few choices:
  • Opticron Taiga 8x25
  • Nikon Travelite 8x25
  • Pentax Papilio 8.5x21

My wife has the Olympus 7 x 21 PCIII Classic. (Another one here.) It's very small and light, has a FOV of 7.5° and is amazingly good optically. It's not rubber-armoured or waterproof but it's survived constant use throughout a Scottish winter, so unless you drop it in a pond, it should be okay. Fold-down rubber eye-cups are the only drawback. Of the others mentioned, the Nikon Travelite has a claustrophobically narrow FOV and the Pentax Papilio, which is brilliant for focussing really close, is not that compact and its distance performance isn't that great.

Michael.

Thank you Michael,
this seems a very good option, if it's optically good enough, the price is very fit to the casual use I have in mind
Any comment on the Opticron?
Thank you,
Max

Thank you Michael,
this seems a very good option, if it's optically good enough
I don't think you'll be disappointed, as long as you don't mind rubber eyecups.

Any comment on the Opticron?
I haven't tried it myself, but several people have been complimentary about it. The optics should be pretty good and the twist-up eyepieces will be excellent for use with glasses. Against it, for me, would be the 6° FOV. And it's quite a bit more expensive than the Olympus.

Michael.

Thanks Paul,
as you say, I'm quite surprised by the low-end quality of the Swaros .. I'll check your Zeiss as well
Cheers,
Max

The Bushnell 7x26 is one of the most under appreciated bins around... perfect for you requirements. Stellar Porro Prism Image, big enough and small enough... far better IMO than the little 8x20/21 models that abound.
In the UK these cost £209 = €306 = $417. I don't know if you can even get them in Italy, but if you can, they're unlikely to be much cheaper.

Michael.

Thanks Paul,
as you say, I'm quite surprised by the low-end quality of the Swaros .. I'll check your Zeiss as well
Cheers,
Max

Hi Max

Don't let one persons opinion of the Swarovski compacts influence you too much, I know a number of very happy users.

Personally my compact of choice is the Leica 8x20 Ultravid, amazing sharp, bright and easy to use. The down side is the price at over £300, but for great bins with a 30 year warranty they seemed worth it!

If I were going for a <£100 compact I'd definitely oly look at reverse porros they definitely have the optical edge over roofs in the price range. The Nikon Travellites and the Opticron Taigas are both very good, I'm sure you'd be happy with either.

Thanks Pete,
as a matter of fact I'm delighted with my Swaros (Habicht 7x42), stunning optical quality and great clarity even at twilight... I can't comment on compact bins though ...
I've been looking for the Taiga, but they seem not to be easily available, absolutely neither in my area, nor in Italian online shops and ebay ... I'll keep searching
Cheers,
Max

Last edited:
Max, I believe it may be possible to order direct from Opticron. The Taigas are £90; you might find them too good for such occasional use |:d| Unfortunately the Opticron web site seems to be down just at the moment...

I've been looking for the Taiga, but they seem not be easily available, absolutely not in my area, nor in Italian online shops and ebay ... I'll keep searching

Though it would cost a bit more I'm sure some of the UK retailers would be happy to send them to you in Italy...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back