• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

confused.com (1 Viewer)

shrek48

Hi all I posted a few days ago about lenses, I am confused and here is why!
When for example I look at a Nikon prime 400 on E bay, I see what I think is the same lens, they have the same letters and numbers, ie af-s 400 f;2.8 etc and yet prices vary from $4000 to $9000!
Can any help me understand why such a price range, are they the same lens, what am I missing?
I have basically decided to add to my d7100 and Tamron 150-600 a 300 or 400 Nikon prime lens, then a converter, then a new tripod and gimbal or wimberley head or similar, hence the questions and money is an object and I need to save for these items and get it right first time.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Check the DP Review data on Nikon lenses here:
http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/lenses?subcategoryId=lenses

You will find the various lenses you mention, with prices from $1000+ to $10,000+, depending on issues such as optical quality, stabilization, auto focus quality, degree of sealing, degree of robustness etc.

Someone more expert could explain what drives the biggest part of the price differences, I cannot.
However, this wonderful site will at least give you some appreciation of the issues that drive lens performance or lack thereof:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog

You might also consider taking a buying holiday, just focus on really getting all you can out of what you have. You have good gear, make it sing for you.
That would allow you to narrow down what gaps bother you and what lenses or accessories would best complement your existing setup. New lenses are in the pipeline, so at worst you will have additional choices.

Last edited:
wow 118 reads and no opinions??

Can't say anything specific about that particular lens but that's not an unusual spread between used hard from spotty seller - to brand new in retail package from full service commercial dealer.

Good place to check is Lens Authority. They're a highly legitimate lens and camera rental company that also sells their rental equipment after two years. You can get a good idea of legitimate used prices for functional equipment.

Best of luck,
Jerry

Looks like some are brand new while other lenses are 2nd hand in different conditions. Not sure about the 400 2.8, but there is most likely more than one generation of its AF/VR incarnation out there which will also be reflected in pricing of both new and 2nd hand lenses.

Are you sure you are ready for this .........?

p.s. A more descriptive subject that actually tells about the subject will help to get answers and so likely will posting in the designated Nikon subforum above.

Last edited:
p.s. A more descriptive subject that actually tells about the subject will help to get answers

Amen to that. Subject lines should reveal the subject of the post; otherwise it wastes the time of people who won't know the answer to your question.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back