• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gill Osborne's 2014 List (1 Viewer)

July 2014

1st ~ Druridge Pools

99: Black-tailed Godwit
100: Spoonbill

3rd ~ Alwinton

101: Wheatear
102: Common Sandpiper
103: Crossbill
104: Grey Wagtail

6th ~ East Chevington

105: Marsh Harrier - male food passing to female then three young
flew up to join them.
106: Sandwich Tern
107: Arctic Tern
108: Reed Warbler
109: Puffin - offshore in Druridge Bay

Cresswell Pond

110: Little Egret - one flew overhead as I got out of car!
111: Avocet
112: Sedge Warbler
113: Snipe
114: Little Gull
115: Tree Sparrow
116: Whitethroat

Thursday 17th July
Low Newton

117: Yellow Wagtail

Friday 18th July
High Newton & Beadnell Tern Colony

118: Greenshank
119: Little Tern

Also...my very first Dark Green Fritillary butterflies.

Thursday 24th July
Low Newton

120: Little Ringed Plover
121: Wood Sandpiper

Wednesday 13th August
Amble Harbour

122: CASPIAN GULL*Lifer No. 225*:loveme:

Cresswell Pond

123: Knot
124: Barn Owl

Druridge Pools

125: Spotted Redshank

Monday 8th September
Hadston

126: Wryneck *Lifer No. 226*:loveme:

At 1.55pm I heard about this bird and it being something of an almost-mythical bird to me I just HAD to nip down the road to Hadston on the off-chance that it was still around. Forgot all about the roadworks blocking half of Alnwick and then once I did escape I ended up behind a tourist driving at 30mph on a 60mph road!!!! Thankfully they pulled off at Warkworth....only for me to end up behind a tractor!!!!!
But eventually I escaped all the slow folk and arrived at Hadston and my spirits lifted when I saw a fellow birder watching something on the beach. He told me the Wryneck was still showing well (my two favourite words when it's a Lifer involved!) on the patch of waste ground next to the boat yard and there it was....on the ground in full view and I had some amazing views for a good 20 minutes before I had to leave. Fabulous birds with positively sublime markings.....it had me itching to draw it in pastels or conte crayon!

Last edited:
Saturday 27th September
Hulne Park, Alnwick

Decided to spend a few hours exploring the red route *4.7 miles* as I've been mulling over the idea of having the park as my local patch.

128: Goldcrest
129: Mistle Thrush
130: Kingfisher
131: Dipper
132: Great Spotted Woodpecker

Butterflies still around = Red Admiral & Speckled Wood and two sightings of an unidentified white.

1 Red Squirrel in oak tree

Yew trees positively dripping in berries, beech with a good crop but oak seem to be a bit thin on the acorn front this year. Very pleasant 4.5hrs walk :t:

Monday 10th November
Amble harbour

134: Rock Pipit

Also...Mediterranean Gull on rock. Not usual bird but another individual with a silver ring on left leg. Female Eider observed diving and coming up with a small Common Starfish which she then proceeded to eat.

26th December
Seahouses Harbour

135: Black-necked Grebe
136: Purple Sandpiper

Had a quick peek through my Year List and there's a few very embarrassing omissions!!! :eek!: Brent Goose...Fieldfare AND Redwing...Grey Plover...Stock Dove!!!! Have I been walking around with my eyes closed for most of the year? :smoke: Never mind.....still got five days left to find stuff and three of those are days off work or, as in Sunday, early finishes at 9am ;)

Wednesday 31st December
Hedgeley Pools

139: Barnacle Goose

Field just outside Eglingham

140: Fieldfare
141: Redwing

Dark now so that's it for 2014 :king: Not a bad year despite some glaring omissions (redstart anyone? :eek!:) but at least it means I can make more of an effort to not repeat my mistakes in 2015 ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back