• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd molting starling (?) Chobe NP, Botswana July (1 Viewer)

masonflint

I photographed these birds in Chobe National Park in July within minutes of each other. The ID is probably easy for people more familiar with the birds of Botswana but I've tied myself in knots over this.

The evenly colored bird is probably a Greater Blue-eared Starling because of the clear dark eye stripe and yellow eye...right?

The other bird confuses me because of the limited iridescence and brownish feathers. Perhaps it is molting? Also, the tail appears to be quite short although that could be due to the angle of the photo.

I looked online extensively for photos of starlings in molt and found a couple of links to scholarly papers (pay only) but not much in terms of photos.

Would appreciate any information you have on this topic.

Attachments

• MFlint_20160717_4818.jpg
    MFlint_20160717_4818.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 23
  • MFlint_20160717_4827.jpg
    MFlint_20160717_4827.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 15
On the first photo, you have a Southern/Miombo Blue-eared Starling (Lamprotornis elisabeth) in post-juvenile moult. The rufous underparts in juveniles is quite unique among glossy starlings. I guess the other photo shows an adult of the same species, but I mainly use the thin bill vs thick bill to identify from Greater Blue-eared, and here the angle makes it difficult.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back