• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Catalogue/ libraries and Mac (1 Viewer)

mdb2

My mid 2010 Mac is showing its age, I still use iPhoto and find it better than their new system photos. This system does suit my needs as I do not do any fancy software changes to the images. The iMac is a 1tb with 16gb ram i3 however this iMac is creaking a bit and being USB2 its slow. It's using 700gb of the available 1tb. I am now looking to upgrade to a new iMac 3tb fusion drive i7. I am also currently running two external drives G-drives @ 4tb each and have transferred most of my images to them. One of these doesn't mount immediately deciding to mount in its own sweet time but not before a drop down box appears stating " cannot mount drive" whereby it has mounted???. I also have what is described as the spinning wheel of death sometimes appearing whilst it's doing its thing.

So that's the problems, and I have tried to fix the problems here and there. With limited success.
I thought I would like to try another workflow cataloguing system. I am not keen on adobe and do not want to subscribe, as stated the new software is mainly catalogue/library can anyone recommend such a system please.

Has anyone heard of any problems with the new range of iMacs. Mine is now 6 years old and has taken a bashing in so far as the operator is concerned, I am not that great with computers. Thanks for looking.
Kind regards Mike.

Regarding your wonky drive - it's never a good sign if a lot of time is taken for the drive to mount. I would recommend two things: Back up the drive elsewhere in case it's on its last legs. And then, in case this is not a hardware problem, I'd try to see whether disk utlity can help repair the drive. Are you comfortable doing that?

I'm a Mac person myself, but I do use Lightroom and have no experience with other software, so I'm afraid I can't recommend a solution for that.

There are rumours that a new generation of iMacs is about to be released. This makes it worth waiting a little, either for discounts on the current model, or to get the latest hardware.

Andrea

Regarding your wonky drive - it's never a good sign if a lot of time is taken for the drive to mount. I would recommend two things: Back up the drive elsewhere in case it's on its last legs. And then, in case this is not a hardware problem, I'd try to see whether disk utlity can help repair the drive. Are you comfortable doing that?

I'm a Mac person myself, but I do use Lightroom and have no experience with other software, so I'm afraid I can't recommend a solution for that.

There are rumours that a new generation of iMacs is about to be released. This makes it worth waiting a little, either for discounts on the current model, or to get the latest hardware.

Andrea
Thankyou Andrea, i have tried numerous attempts using disk utility/verify/repair. The disk cannot be repaired? Box appears and the external drive doesn't mount.
However whilst doing other tasks on the computer a drop down box states cannot mount drive. And on checking the drive has mounted???. I have managed to copy the disk onto a new external disk. Its a shame really the external disk isn't even 3 years old! Have considered the cloud not Icloud which is expensive. Mainly wondering if its cheaper in the long run? But at this moment in time I would require at least 2tb.
I will make enquiries as to the emergence of new imac.
Once again thanks kind regards Mike

If you've backed the drive up then I'd try to see whether disk utlity will reformat it (you haven't got much to lose!). Or are you saying that even after you can see that it's been mounted, disk utility can't see it?

Andrea

If you've backed the drive up then I'd try to see whether disk utlity will reformat it (you haven't got much to lose!). Or are you saying that even after you can see that it's been mounted, disk utility can't see it?

Andrea[/QUOTE
Hi Andrea,
I must admit to not even considering a reformat. There is now another issue with my iMac not the external drive. Strange one this: I have about fifteen to 20 slideshows a 4-5 were missing but still on iTunes, when I dragged them back into iPhoto some slideshows had two sound tracks on them?? Me thinks a new iMac needed sooner than later.
Kind regards Mike

So that's the problems, and I have tried to fix the problems here and there. With limited success.
I thought I would like to try another workflow cataloguing system. I am not keen on adobe and do not want to subscribe, as stated the new software is mainly catalogue/library can anyone recommend such a system please.

For cataloguing, take a look at Photo Mechanic.

http://www.camerabits.com/

Or Lyn:

http://www.lynapp.com/

Or PhotoSupreme:

http://www.idimager.com/WP/?page_id=20

On line there are great reviews of Photo Mechanic for image management. I had PhotoSupreme. I was going to use it as the catalogue program and use CaptureOne for editing. Instead I went with Lightroom.

AcdSee is windows only.

I would move away from IPhotos. Not even sure it will run on Sierra or if you could even download it from Apple if you get a new computer. Photos was a huge disappointment and I never even considered using it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back