• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ20 or a second hand DSLR (1 Viewer)

affe22

I know this has kind of been asked/answered in a few of the forums already, but I would like as many opinions as possible because I have been debating with myself on whether or not I want to get the FZ20. Do people think that it would be better to buy a Lumix DMC FZ20 or try and get a second hand DSLR camera for bird photography? If the DSLR is the way to go, which ones should I look into that will be around $600 - $700? Thanks for the help.

Well I have the FZ20 and I'm considering buying a DSLR - if that helps ;)

The FZ20 is a decent enough camera, with full auto, semi-auto or manual control. It's main plus points for me being it's a compact camera, has a high quality 12x optical zoom which for not much more expense can additionally take a 1.7x converter which is a long lens giving around 800mm 35mm equivalent - but the image stabiliser is superb. The macro feature isn't so good as at max zoom min focus is 2m but I've seen some great shots taken when a macro lens is added.

A DSLR is usually very heavy for it's size and quite expensive - in addition to the expensive body for bird photos a lens in the region of 400-500mm of reasonable quality is very expensive - especially if you want one with image stabilisation. You may have birds closer but I think mostpeople find that even 400mm isn't anywhere long enough.

Now why do I want to buy one myself? Oh yes, it's the better quality of images a DSLR generally produces partly down to the larger sensor/more megapixels but also it's altogether faster operation with more accurate focus and exposure.

The FZ20 isn't slow compared to many digital compacts but it comes no where near to the speed of a DSLR.

If budget is a big concern then one of the long lens compacts may be a better option - unless you have some decent long lenses already to hand.

I'd back up Ian's points. The key with FZ20 (or forthcoming FZ30) is that the long lens - with stabilisation is already there. No extra purchase of a big lens.

I'd love a DSLR for the quality of image but they are just too expensive if you add a lens that can match the aperture speed and image stabilisation of the FZ20.

I'm waiting to see what the FZ30 turns out like - my only concern is the amount of noise the 8mp camera might have. Otherwise it looks ideal.

I want to carry on digiscoping but use the 430mm capability of the lumix to compliment that. For that reason I don't want to have to carry round additional weight and lenses.

To a degree, it is going to depend what you want out of the camera.

Thanks you two. I think I decided to also wait and see how the FZ30 is. I won't have the money until the second week of October, so by then there should be some reviews out and all. I thought about maybe getting the old Digital Rebel, but I'd have to shell out just as much for a lens capable of the reach that the FZ20 & 30 come with. Plus, I'm probably going to buy a T-Con 17 too, so that'll be even more reach.

The FZ's can be good buys. I only had the ex FZ5 but the lens really is very consistent in quality and the IS works. The images from my DSLR are much better in tgerms of true sharpness, colour saturation and hard contrasts, but these factors are of subjective importance only. Of course, a competent DSLR kit is not cheap. From experience I suggest you'd be satisfied with the 300D or 350D (had both and both do great images but the 350D is snappier all around) a Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX HSm zoom and a Kenko Pro 300 DG TCon. This will cost around £1200. Add a 2x Kenko or Tamron (non-Pro or SP) TCon and you will retain auto focus and reach 600mm. So, a big price difference for what may or may not be a big increase in enjoyment, or quality according to your demands.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back