• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pana FZ30...jumping in with both feet (1 Viewer)

Fuzz

I'm new to birdforum, birding, bird photography, Adobe anything....I'm just plain NEW. Actually I love birds but just now getting into birding. Digiscoping is too expensive right now and may not be the way to start. So I need you guys to point me in the right direction. My plan, so far, from my readings on birdforum:

Panasonic DMC-FZ30 12X 8mp (due out Sep-Oct)
Olympus Tcon17 + adapter (I don't know how much the Pana 1.7 will be but probably 3 times the Tcon? ...especially if its made by Leica)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 3
Noise Ninja plugin
Genuine U.S Army Ranger camouflage outfit with face paint designed to get me within 6 ft. of a Peregrine falcon........(just kidding)

I know there's lots more but I don't know if I have enough time to read all the past knowledge accumlated here.....but I'm trying! Could you guys tweek my plan with your favorites. I read the review of the FZ30 at dpreview.com and looked at sample photos. Looked impressive to me but I don't have an experienced eye. I currently have a $98 Kodak digital with no optical zoom but it actually takes good pictures within its limitations. So I'm trying to go from a skate board to a Ferrari (well, maybe a Corvette) in one fell swoop. I just found out that some California Condors are going to be released at Pinnacles National Monument in September.....I need help quick!

Cheers, Fuzz

I don't think I can tweak your plan. I'm also going to wait for the FZ30!

One of the main competitors as far as I can see is the Nikon Coolpix 8800 - also 8 megapixel, 10x optical zoom and good on macro.

It seems to be gaining a following amongst birders so I'm sure some one can jump in with a view on it.

I've handled an FZ20 and found it an impressive piece of kit. However, the well publicised problems were an issue for me - poor quality EVF being the main one. However, the FZ30 is said to increase the quality of the EVF by 180% and the other niggles such as view finder to the side have also been fixed.

I just hope the FZ30 lives up to the billing.

Matthew

I think a lot of people will be put off by the £600 price tag, especially as you're then in DSLR territory. The EVF on the FZ20 isn't great at a distance but when using it on close up subjects, such as near passerines, it seems fine. Once you've got use to it, it becomes much easier.

Mark

Reviews are starting to emerge on the FZ30 and it seems that noise will be a big issue above the lowest ISO settings.

I'm sure more considered views will emerge though once the public actually get their hands on it. Mark's decision to the get the FZ20 may remain the best option and it will be cheaper (although I've seen the FZ30 for less thasn £500).

M

mcapper said:
Reviews are starting to emerge on the FZ30 and it seems that noise will be a big issue above the lowest ISO settings.

I'm sure more considered views will emerge though once the public actually get their hands on it. Mark's decision to the get the FZ20 may remain the best option and it will be cheaper (although I've seen the FZ30 for less thasn £500).

M

Pixmania were offering the FZ30for £400, but they seem to have vanished off their site!!
The new Nikon swivel bodied with a 10X zoom and 2.5 inch screen looks interesting though I'm not sure what its digiscoping capabilties will be.

Mark

Thanks to all for replys. I've also read about the FZ30 noise problem. The FZ5 seems to be better in that regard. (Circuit City has a web special now on FZ5 for $395US....would that be about 215 pounds?..not sure what the exchange rate is.) It gets high marks for color and sharp resolution at the lower ISO's. I just found out that Kodak will soon have out their new P850 which is their first venture into IS. It's 12X-IS, 5.1MP, 2.5" LCD, $499US. It goes down to ISO 50...don't think I've seen a super zoom that goes down that low before. (Might be good for very low noise pics.) Thought I would wait for a review on that before choosing.

Cheers, Fuzz

It all gets a bit confusing doesn't it! Everyone is starting to come out with super zooms with image stabilisation.

I have to say that as a camera, the FZ30 still looks a dream. And the noise may well be ok for wildlife shots at low ISO. But one does wonder why Panasonic have made a camera that addresses all the gripes of previous versions and then comes up with lower picture quality. Still, As previously said, I'm going to wait for reviews once it has launched.

M

mcapper said:
But one does wonder why Panasonic have made a camera that addresses all the gripes of previous versions and then comes up with lower picture quality. Still, As previously said, I'm going to wait for reviews once it has launched.

I rthink this is th esensible approach. Disinformation spread around the Internet very quickly and I would rather wait and see.

Am tempted by this camera as a walkaround when I don't want the hassle of all my DSLR 'STUFF'. The FZ3 was a great camera and so is the FZ20 ... I kinda doubt Panny would drop the ball by offering a 'noisy' replacement.

Having previously had both an FZ1 and FZ2 and a quick trial of an FZ10 I can say that Panasonic 'noise' is amongst the worst i've seen. However, sticking to the lowest ISO settings, images are amongst the best. I've just got a second hand FZ20 to use when i don't want to take my D70 and heavy lenses. The issue of noise on the FZ30 seems to be a matter of some contention. A current FZ20 owner on another forum has done some comparative tests with full size FZ20 and FZ30 images and still, i believe, intends to upgrade to the FZ30 as he's happy with the quality. The person who supplied him with the images for test [a sometime Birdforum gallery contributor and experienced photographer] thinks they're way too noisy. Nothing is simple when it comes to making a choice!

Took my first proper bird photos with the FZ20 today, a very obliging Red-necked Phalarope at Toft Newton Res' Linc's.
Quite heavily cropped but with no noise reduction or sharpening.

Mark

Attachments

• Red-necked Phalarope  Toft Newton 18th Sept 05 (9).jpg
    Red-necked Phalarope Toft Newton 18th Sept 05 (9).jpg
    106 KB · Views: 290
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back