• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Very Happy Zen-ray Owner (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
First of all I would like to say that I have never even heard of Zen-RAY optics til about 3 months ago when I stumbled onto this web site , that being said I dont work for them or know anyone that does. I know I will receive some slack from some of the seasoned members but after reading the post about Zen - Ray products these last 3 months I feel I should speak up in Zen -Rays defense on some of the neagative reviews & to the casual binocular users who read this forum just to find out what Bino to buy. I now own 3 pairs of Zens , the last pair puchased the 7x36 ED2. I have found them all to be fine binoculars & the last pair the 7x36 to be the best of all & I dont agree with about 99 percent of the negative things said about the Zen-Rays. As far as the reviews, some of them I have read are starting to confuse even me & I have been collecting binoculars for many years. Even one review stated they had a funny smell. For those trying to decide what binocular brand to buy , Zen-Ray or others, find a retailer that will except returns. Buy it and if you dont like it just retun it. Its that simple.........Gwen

Last edited:
i've had zen rays not too shabby i have to stick to my trusty steiners and my swaros at the end of the day, but i agree zen rays are a quality bino

First of all I would like to say that I have never even heard of Zen-RAY optics til about 3 months ago when I stumbled onto this web site , that being said I dont work for them or know anyone that does. I know I will receive some slack from some of the seasoned members but after reading the post about Zen - Ray products these last 3 months I feel I should speak up in Zen -Rays defense on some of the neagative reviews & to the casual binocular users who read this forum just to find out what Bino to buy. I now own 3 pairs of Zens , the last pair puchased the 7x36 ED2. I have found them all to be fine binoculars & the last pair the 7x36 to be the best of all & I dont agree with about 99 percent of the negative things said about the Zen-Rays. As far as the reviews, some of them I have read are starting to confuse even me & I have been collecting binoculars for many years. Even one review stated they had a funny smell. For those trying to decide what binocular brand to buy , Zen-Ray or others, find a retailer that will except returns. Buy it and if you dont like it just retun it. Its that simple.........Gwen

You'll certainly get plenty of slack and no flak from me, if I can presume to be a "seasoned member" of the forum! :) I agree whole-heartedly that the Zen-Ray ED are fine binos overall and that they should be among those at the top of the list for anyone looking to spend ~$400 (or even quite a bit more) on binos. So long as any of their personality quirks (Let me make it clear that _all_ binoculars have some quirks), such as the crescents of veiling glare or stiff focus are not especially important to the individual buyer in question, I'd say they should top that list. Please don't mistake description for criticism (They, or maybe it's just the clamshell case, _do_have a funny smell), or critique for condemnation. All binos that attract attention on birdforum enjoy a high level of critical scrutiny.

--AP

i've had zen rays not too shabby i have to stick to my trusty steiners and my swaros at the end of the day, but i agree zen rays are a quality bino

Just as a simple matter of my own curiosity, which Zen Ray binocular are you comparing to just which Steiner?

At $300-$400, those binoculars are great bargain with its outstanding optics. If you care to look, you will always find something wrong with your binoculars, being it alpha or zeta. People have been warning me that the ocular lens recess for Swarovski EL is too shallow that I may scratch it if not careful. It didn't prevent me from getting a pair. Of course, people can always debate the lens recess over, and over, and over again.

At $300-$400, those binoculars are great bargain with its outstanding optics. If you care to look, you will always find something wrong with your binoculars, being it alpha or zeta.

I agree emphatically with falcondude and gcole's earlier post and am frankly amazed and dismayed at the degree of critical scrutiny applied to the Zen 7 x 36 model. The Shoot Out at the OK Corral thread in particular pits the Zen against binoculars costing in some cases 6 times as much. My take after three days of ownership of the Zen 7 x 36 is so far extemely positive: very sharp, very bright and perhaps most of all a very wide and pleasing field of view. Had I paid $1800, it's true that I would have expected a strap equal to that accompanying current Leica/Zeiss/Swaro models (yep, the Zen strap is still too long), no backlash at all in the focuser and a better fitting rainguard. In point of fact, with the Zen 20% early adopter coupon, I paid less than $400 and have since fitted my new Zen with a Wild Birds Unlimited neoprene strap, an older better fitting Optolyth rainguard and have become accustomed to the very modest focuser slippage. The real test for me is whether the Zen will hold up mechanically, and it is far too soon to tell. For the moment, however, I think Zen deserves high praise for listening to birders and actually coming to market with a superlative 7x birding bino that is within the financial reach of most.

Last edited:
Well said!

I'm also not finding the faults others seem to spotlight with these bins. Any minor nits that do exist pale in comparison to what this pair delivers. If they also prove to be durable, I might be swayed to part with my heavier, narrower FOV, and less close focus capable SLCs. The crisp ED2 optics are just that good! As it is, the old 7x roof standard is now in a drawer while the ED2s get to dance :)

Keep it coming guys. It will be interesting to hear just how few are sent back. Oh-yea did I mention I owned a pair of the new Swift 7x36 Eaglet & if I had to choose which one to keep it would not be the Swift & they are a fine binocular.....Gwen

Keep it coming guys. It will be interesting to hear just how few are sent back. Oh-yea did I mention I owned a pair of the new Swift 7x36 Eaglet & if I had to choose which one to keep it would not be the Swift & they are a fine binocular.....Gwen

Well, that makes two of us with the Swift and the ZEN. I'll probably keep the Swift, but they will not get a lot more use.

Hello,

Chartwell99 has it about right. The Zen lacks some of those painstaking finishing touches and some sophisticated facilities of far more expensive binoculars. It is still a very good binocular and not just a good binocular for its price. My field observations have been limited by some severely hot weather and by the time I will be able to put down my thoughts, this subject will be too well chewed.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
My field observations have been limited by some severely hot weather and by the time I will be able to put down my thoughts, this subject will too well chewed.

Arthur,

I always enjoy reading your comments...even if everyone and their brother has chewed it over a few times.

;)

I didnt make the deadline to order the 7x36 ED2,and I will be living in Europe,by the time a second batch hits the market...I thought about ordering a pair From Spain,later on,but ordering form Europe can be tricky ,I guess,...I just sold a 400$ photo lens to a guy in England,and he Was taxed about 120$ on top of that!!!!..And it was a USED lens!!!!..I have sold quite a lot of stuff internationally,mostly photographic lenses ,but also a couple of expensive scopes,and this was the first time that anyone was taxed by their customs...
Anyway...I think It could be a good idea ,If you have a 30 days return policy,To give the binos a couple more runs ,and decide later..Enjoy the views in the meantime and who knows..
Hey ,drop me a PM if you want to sell them!!! (Hmm,..Is the 30 days return policy transferable ,like the warranty?)

Arthur,

I always enjoy reading your comments...even if everyone and their brother has chewed it over a few times.

;)

Hello FrankD,

Here are few more impressions of this binocular:
Hello,

My interest in the Zen Ray ED2 revolved around several perceived needs. First, a seven power glass would probably suit my advancing years with stability greater than an eight power. I wanted a wide view and I wanted the enhanced colour quality which I associate with ED, FL or HD glass. Since its physical attribute have been described, already, I will just write down a few thoughts, which have been limited by severe weather which has kept me from much field work.

Upon examining the binocular, I noticed that the dents on the underside were not too deep. I generally do not care for thumb indents but these are scarcely noticed. The pimples along the sides were not sharp or annoying. I do not believe that they serve any real purpose as every armoured binocular, even with relatively smooth armour provides sufficient grip. Perhaps fishermen might actually need some assisted traction because of slime and scales. I also noted that the objectives are well set back in the tubes, but perhaps not far enough.

The first target was Arcturus, the only star visible through my window. The left barrel was easier for me to focus than the right. After focussing I checked the dioptre setting, which was negative. My eyes are closely matched, so every Alpha binocular I own, shows very slightly positive on the right diopter. I am going to take this as not properly set in production. Incidentally, I like the focussing lock, as I have had good binoculars whose diopter settings were not secure and this compensates for the unusual dioptre setting.

I have uncommonly poor eyesight, -7.5, in the left eye, and a bit different in the right, but both left and right eyeglass lenses are -7.5, so I see more field of view with glasses on and cups down, than without glasses and with cups up. Typical of modern binoculars, I cannot focus the Zen at infinity, with my glasses off. Without a clear night sky, I cannot determine what my FOV is, but this binocular is is clearly wider than another binocular rated at >8.5º.

[In the middle of writing, a bird landed, outside my window. At minimum focussing distance, I seem to have had a very nice view of a female American redstart, my second warbler for the month and another first for viewing from my apartment. Good bird! ] Getting to minimum focussing distance, from infinity seemed to take a fair amount of effort, but that is not a usual occurrence. The feel was rather more like a Porro than a modern roof binocular, a lot of resistance.

Tuesday, in the field, I did see glare, but this was no worse than a Zeiss 8x40 Victory but probably worse than a Leica 8x32 BN. With both the Zen and the old Zeiss binoculars, I have to induce glare by putting the sun just outside the field of view. I can see that would be more of a problem for me in the winter, with low sun. I would like an opportunity to see if there any reflections from the eyepiece when there is a low sun behind me. Those recessed objectives need more recession or better internal darkening or baffling.

ED glass usually brings out blue gorgeously but I saw neither bluejays nor indigo buntings. However I did look at a decorative plant with deep red or purple leaves. This binocular made those leaves rather brighter! Looking at night heron at a distance of one hundred meters was not exceptional. I wish the heron were closer because Zeiss FL binoculars bring out the blue in the black crown and I could have noted the differences. I did get a chance to look at one of Central Park’s peculiar inhabitants, a black squirrel. At a distance of two meters, detail was terrific. The view is certainly soft at the edge, no worse than the Nikon 8x30 EII, in my opinion, but certainly worse than a Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt.
However, there is no question that this glass provides a wide relaxed view. If I had more time and better weather, I would have liked to compare it to my 7x42 Zeiss Dialyt and my Zeiss 8x32 FL
I am still examining this binocular, but my general feeling is that it is a good binocular but not a great one, as its internal construction and mechanics are well below the level of the top brands. However, if any bird watcher wants a seven power glass, this one is more than just good for the price. As always, try before you buy or buy with a liberal return policy.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

However, there is no question that this glass provides a wide relaxed view. If I had more time and better weather, I would have liked to compare it to my 7x42 Zeiss Dialyt and my Zeiss 8x32 FL

That sounds fun. On an unrelated question, between your 8x32FL and 8x32 BN, which one do you prefer for color and contrast?

If I had more time and better weather, I would have liked to compare it to my 7x42 Zeiss Dialyt Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

I know this will disappoint the folks eyeballing the insides of their Zens with loupes etc. but I was sufficiently curious that I decided to compare my Zeiss 7 x 42 BGA Dialyt Classics with my less than a week old Zen 7 x 36 and I am amazed at the similarity of the view. I will keep looking, but at the moment I am, frankly, genuinely impressed by the Zens. My daughter is 26 years old and has become (to my delight) interested in birding and loves the Zens. I'm inclined to talk her into taking my Zen 8 x 43s because I really prefer the 7x view, but her enthusiasm is an interesting counterpoint to the technical inquiries aired elsewhere on the Forum.

I was sufficiently curious that I decided to compare my Zeiss 7 x 42 BGA Dialyt Classics with my less than a week old Zen 7 x 36 and I am amazed at the similarity of the view. I will keep looking, but at the moment I am, frankly, genuinely impressed by the Zens.

Hello Chartwell99,

What may be surprising is that the ED glass of the Zen, does not give much advantage over the Dialyt's decades old design. To be sure, the Zen is in a handier package, but those long objectives on the Zeiss helped reduce CA, while those Abbe-Koenig prisms transmit more light than dielectric coatings. Someone else will have to let us know about the differences in transmission across the light spectrum. I think that the 8.5 degree FOV of the old Zeiss was an excellent design feature, as the Dialyt does have slightly better edge sharpness. The Zen's internal focussing feels more like the old Zeiss than modern internal focussing roof prism glasses.
Do you think that the colour is better with the Zen?

The weather in New York is rather warm, humid and uncomfortable, but I carried the Zen and the 8x32 FL to Central Park. The Zen's glare, on this overcast day was becoming annoying, even if a little better positioning made improvements or elimated the glae. A little of the glare was condensation on my specs! The colour with the FL was a little brighter fo purple flowers.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back