• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa lenscope warning (1 Viewer)

digiscope09

I purchased a Kowa lenscope around 18 months ago. It is a great piece of equipment however if you are thinking about buying one to use as both a manual lens and spotting scope with prism, adapters etc in preference to the Kowa TSN883 AND you may want to sell it down the track, I advise not too.

The resale market for this item appears to be almost non existent and offers to buy are almost at give away prices.

I have learned my lesson about buying quirky items the hard way so be warned.

Basically the Kowa lenscope is an excellent low cost MANUAL focus camera lens with little crossover appeal as a visual spotter. The prism unit and eyepiece options are primarily to facilitate small compact camera digiscoping. FWIW, offers of 30%-50% off typical retail sale prices for used equipment would not seem unreasonable in my experience.

I hope this isn't just another covered advertising (=negative advertising) posting in favour of one of the Kowa competitors. I'm wondering because there was just an interesting report at binomania website where the Kowa lenscope turned out to be quite a good performer.

Steve

I hope this isn't just another covered advertising (=negative advertising) posting in favour of one of the Kowa competitors. I'm wondering because there was just an interesting report at binomania website where the Kowa lenscope turned out to be quite a good performer.

Steve

My post is genuine Steve. I have read the post regarding the report at binomania and agree that the lenscope is very good, hence why I thought that it would be easy to resell. I would be happy to receive an offer of 30-50% off retail price suggested by RJM but unfortunately, after many attempts to sell via various means, I cannot see that happening.

Also, the prism unit and eyepiece options are specifically promoted to convert the lenscope into a spotting scope along with the option of using in conjunction with a compact camera.

Thanks

Digiscope

That's solved a mystery for me! id never heard of lens scopes. Saw a guy the other day with decent bins and scope taking pics with what looked like a massive old 500mm lens.

That's solved a mystery for me! id never heard of lens scopes. Saw a guy the other day with decent bins and scope taking pics with what looked like a massive old 500mm lens.

Hi i send you two image taken with Kowa Telephoto lens

Attachments

• Kowa_telephoto_Lens1.jpg
    Kowa_telephoto_Lens1.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 247
  • daino.jpg
    daino.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 181
the prism unit and eyepiece options are specifically promoted to convert the lenscope into a spotting scope along with the option of using in conjunction with a compact camera.

Digiscope

Here is an interesting thread about using a regular astronomy erector prism and astronomy eyepieces with this lens..http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=253994
the Kowa lens uses a Nikon fit bayonet by default(!!!!!)so a nikon-1 1/4 adapter is all you need ,plus your choice of prism/diagonal and eyepiece..Probably considerably cheaper and more versatile ,insome ways,that the Kowa own prism/eyepiece...

Last edited:
You can see photos of the set up that member "stefano.sec" is using in His blog,http://hobbydigiscoping.blogspot.it/2013/03/un-lento-ritorno-al-digiscoping.html
He uses the Baader hyperion Zoom and a standard amicci 45º prism..That ,if not as good as the Kowa porro ,should be a bit better than the lens2scope,and also offers more control on magnification/FOV that is fixed in the lens2scope with its fixed 10mm eyepiece(56x in the kowa lens)..Kowa only offers a straight porro..What is amazing is that no other offer in that direction with High quality optics has been produced yet in the current market,including the Astronomy market... ,A high quality erecting prism ,or a module like the lens2scope with better optical qualities ..

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you're getting no offers. It's a great bit of kit.
One of the advantages of the 850/9.6 lens module is for matching with the Nikon 1 cameras for long range photography, especially HD video.
I don't use mine as much these days as I have the Swarovski STX 95 , which is more "robust"and waterproof as I tend to be rough with equipment.
I will keep it for long range videoing of Peregrine's nests.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back