• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any help with Newt ID, please? UK Norfolk (1 Viewer)

mark clements

I uncovered this Newt when I moved my doormat yesterday.
It had spots all over and the underside was bright yellow with black spots.
I think it was a female great crested, but would like confirmation, or correction, please.
Thank you
H

Attachments

• DSC00013.JPG
    DSC00013.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC00014.JPG
    DSC00014.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 16
I uncovered this Newt when I moved my doormat yesterday.
It had spots all over and the underside was bright yellow with black spots.
I think it was a female great crested, but would like confirmation, or correction, please.
Thank you
H

I'm not sure of the extent of variation in female great crested but I'm wondering if it could be Italian crested, which is sometimes kept in captivity. A close look at the flanks and underside would be useful but I guess it's long since gone? Have you encountered others before and is there a pond nearby?

There's a pond fairly close, and I have seen Great Crested (I presume) male, in the garden, two years ago. That was later in the year than now, and was fairly distinctive. Also it was raining, so there was no dust over it.
I did move it from under the mat, and put it closer to the pond, under some leaves.
Thanks
H

Checking on various sites, I would edge towards Italian, due to the dorsal line in yellow, and although not photographed, the underside was strikingly yellow with black spots, not at all orange.
But, again, I may be wrong.
H

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back