• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ20 problems (1 Viewer)

jude55

I have a new FZ20 and am enjoying playing around with it. I also have an Olympus Tcon 14. I'm having a few problems.

1. I've experimented with some of the scene modes, particularly the sport mode to freeze movement. It gives only fair results. In my graphics applications, ACDSee and Photoshop, the EXIF says "normal program" for most scene types. The portrait mode and a couple of others have the correct scene type listed. I put the camera on a tripod and shot one photo of the exact same flowers in each scene type. The sports mode shot at f2.8, 1/60, and ISO 150. The ISO makes sense for the mode, but the aperture and shutter speed seem off. So, is it a problem with the camera or is this normal behavior?

2. The auto focus is quite iffy. My really good shots are "almost" perfect, but the focus seems too soft. The camera is set at standard for sharpness.

3. The TCon 14 is wonderful, except that where there is high contrast or back lighting, especially sky, there is massive blue fringing.

My hands are not the steadiest, so when we go birding I let my teenage son do the snapping. He has quite a gift and has gotten some wonderful beginner shots, but gets frustrated when they are not crystal clear.

Let's see....current settings are; spot focus, center-weighted metering, IS 2, full-time autofocusing, ISO 80.

So, should I send the camera in for repair or
send the photographer in for training? :flyaway:

Some examples:

Attachments

• Chickadee.jpg
    Chickadee.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 287
  • Pigeon.jpg
    Pigeon.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 264
  • Towhee.jpg
    Towhee.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 236
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back