• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Typical newb questions... (1 Viewer)

JDV

Well, Ive finally decided to give it a go at digiscoping. The camera I have is an old & not very digiscoping friendly camera. I guess the my biggest concerns would be, What do I look for when buying a spotting scope? I went ahead and bought a cheepie to see it would even work. I bought a Remington 20x 50mm for $39. I tried using my Olympus C-700. Pretty crappie setup, I know. But ya gotta start somewhere. Ive been wanting to upgrade my camera for a while now. The Olympus is only 2.1 MP and not much good when editing in photoshop pictures of nature and whatnot. What would be a good camera upgrade? Say something used on Ebay, No more than $200-$400? And, Is the cheapo spotting scope I have any good for a beginner or should I returnit and buy a better one? Any suggestions would be great.
I havent gone and priced the cameras that I see mentioned here in the forum yet, But I will after lunch. Thanx

Heres an example of about the best I can get

Attachments

• BB.jpg
    BB.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
The problem with the Oly (I think) is the huge lens area.... How about the new Nikon P5000 ? Would that fall into your price range ? I am seriously considering one myself :)

Yeh, From what Ive read, I think youre correct. I guess its just trial & error and trying to create a set up that works for you & your budget.

Well, Ive finally decided to give it a go at digiscoping. The camera I have is an old & not very digiscoping friendly camera. I guess the my biggest concerns would be, What do I look for when buying a spotting scope? I went ahead and bought a cheepie to see it would even work. I bought a Remington 20x 50mm for $39. I tried using my Olympus C-700. Pretty crappie setup, I know. But ya gotta start somewhere. Ive been wanting to upgrade my camera for a while now. The Olympus is only 2.1 MP and not much good when editing in photoshop pictures of nature and whatnot. What would be a good camera upgrade? Say something used on Ebay, No more than $200-$400? And, Is the cheapo spotting scope I have any good for a beginner or should I returnit and buy a better one? Any suggestions would be great.
I havent gone and priced the cameras that I see mentioned here in the forum yet, But I will after lunch. Thanx

Heres an example of about the best I can get

Hi JDV,
Cameras are easy to find and many work OK, you would be better off trying to find a decent scope before the camera, without one you're always going to be struggling to get decent shots. Why not have a look around for a good secondhand one first then sort out a camera, adapter etc.

Regards

John

Yeh, Ive been looking at scopes and they range from $39-$1200! I figure, For the beginner, You can get away with spending $80-$150 and get a fairly decent scope to start with. (used that is) Any suggestions on a scope in that range?

Yeh, Ive been looking at scopes and they range from $39-$1200! I figure, For the beginner, You can get away with spending $80-$150 and get a fairly decent scope to start with. (used that is) Any suggestions on a scope in that range?

I would recomend the Hawke Endurance scopes.
My gallery will show results using one with a simple Samsung camera, I am now using a Fuji A400 which I hope to report on within the next week, first tests are looking very good ;-)

cheers

camera and adaptor for televid APO 77

Hi everyone,

I find this website extremely helpful and interesting.

I have never tried digiscoping and I am interesting in starting such interest. I own a Leica Televid APO 77 angular sight and would like some advice to what camera and adapter I could use for this spotting scope. I have read a lot of interesting postings regarding Fuji F30 and F31. I am currently interested in buying the F31. However I noticed that most of you doing digiscoping are attaching a camera to a straight sight spotting scopes.

Is there a proper solution for the angular sight spotting scope in combination with the Fuji F31 and a suitable adapter?

At the moment I am not using as bracket as such. I have made a simple collar with cardboard and insulation tape to make the eyepiece narrower so the camera lens (F30) is a snug fit. I find it is working extremly well, and will have the same collar machined from nylon in few weeks time when my engineer friend returns from holiday :) Here are some recent examples with this set-up (Scope is Hawke Endurance set at minimum zoom 23x)

Attachments

• 28-05-2007 11-32-47.jpg
    28-05-2007 11-32-47.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 30-05-2007 14-01-20.jpg
    30-05-2007 14-01-20.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 31-05-2007 14-26-58.jpg
    31-05-2007 14-26-58.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 136
  • 01-06-2007 14-33-19.jpg
    01-06-2007 14-33-19.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 02-06-2007 12-30-42.jpg
    02-06-2007 12-30-42.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 137
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back