• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ultravid and trinovid (1 Viewer)

The Ultravids are noticeably lighter than the Trinovids. The glass within them is the same (I think), but the newer coatings on the Ultravids do deliver a slightly brighter and sharper image. Personally I think the Ultravids are worth the extra money, unless you get a really good deal on Trinovids.

The Ultravids are noticeably lighter than the Trinovids. The glass within them is the same (I think), but the newer coatings on the Ultravids do deliver a slightly brighter and sharper image. Personally I think the Ultravids are worth the extra money, unless you get a really good deal on Trinovids.

I agree, but I always recommend that people try an Ultravid before buying it. The focus mechanism on most samples is not smooth, but quite notchy - which can be anywhere from mildly annoying to impossible to overlook. While the Trinovids have slightly lower brightness and contrast, they are every bit as sharp and focus very smoothly. Try before you buy!

Dear Horukuru, Re:

I agree, but I always recommend that people try an Ultravid before buying it. The focus mechanism on most samples is not smooth, but quite notchy - which can be anywhere from mildly annoying to impossible to overlook. While the Trinovids have slightly lower brightness and contrast, they are every bit as sharp and focus very smoothly. Try before you buy!

Angelo is quite right, but note: Only one of my four Ultravids was slightly "notchy" and was sent to Leica for smoothening. All's well now - apparently it is quite an easy correction, if necessary at all.

I'd suggest that if you have the money, go Ultravid. They are superb.

I have 4 pair of Ultravids. I checked Trinovids, Swarovski, Zeiss, Nikon and Pentax. Ultravid tribe was my preference. That is not to say the others were not great too. I agree the Ultravid is brighter than the Trinovid probably due to the prisim. In my hands I prefered the classic look and feel of the Ultravid and did not enjoy the rubber ribs and look of the Trinovids. The ultravids are lighter. But everyone has their own likes and dislikes. But all that was secondary to the view. The Ultravids plain looked best to me. That goes for the 10X42. 10X32 and 10X25 when compared to the others.

The Ultravids are well built.
Case is very protective padded Nylon.
Strap is good.
I like the rain cover - if you don’t like it costs almost nothing to replace.
I had one need of warrantee service and it was as good as it gets. They replaced my 10x25 on the spot (walk in service. I live near their office).

Color presentation is the best I have seen (I liked the Swarovski color presentation too).
Focus is perfect for me. Not too fast, not too slow. Very precise.
Rugged is an understatement
Best of all the view is very easy on the eyes. I can look through all of mine all day with no eye fatigue.

They come with a lifetime guarantee here in the USA

The main differences between the Trinovids and Ultravids (for me) are the ergonomics of the housing and the Prism.

Ultavid roof prism comes with phase correcting coating P40 and HighLux-System HLS™.
Trinovid roof prism comes with phase correcting coating P40 but no HighLux-System HLS™

The Ultravids are designed for extreme use (so says the advertising on the web page). I take good care of mine. But they do go everywhere I go.

You can find a detailed description at
http://www.leica-camera.us/nature_observation/ultravid_binoculars/
http://www.leica-camera.us/nature_observation/trinovid_binoculars/

After 7 months of daily use, I agree the Ultravids are superb!
At these prices who would accept anything less.

Last edited:
thanks for the vast info and would like to know if both models has problem with CA ?

I have compared the 8x32 models side by side.
To my surprise the amount of CA was higher in the Ultravid. The Trinovid was visibly better!
The Zeiss 8x32 Victory FL beat both.

The Ultravid 8x42 BL was much better than the 32 mm Leica models.

Tom

My limited comparisons of the Ultravids with some other binoculars (looking for flare and CA) was, the Pentax ED and the Zeiss FL had the best CA control. When I viewed those two they had virtually no CA or hardly detectable under the toughest conditions.

Comparing the Ultravids to the Pentax ED last week seeking the worst conditions for CA (a thin black branch back lit by a bright hazy sky, white building edges in direct sunlight against a high contrast background etc).

The Ultravids do have more CA than the Pentax ED and Zeiss FL. I would rank the Ultravid as a low CA binocular behind the FL and ED in CA control and ahead of most other binoculars in CA control. To me the ED and FL take CA control to the next higher level.

In general usage CA is not a factor on the Ultravids (for me) but occasionally I do encounter a situation where CA is apparent on contrast edges as described under the worst conditions. It has not been a problem or even visible on ocean settings or a white bird on a lake etc.

I had a pair of Zeiss Victory II 10X40 a few years ago that had such bad CA I could not see feather detail on a Swan on a lake in full sunlight! The white bird looked blue. I complained so much I believe Zeiss came out with the FL to silence me. The healing process is not complete yet. I still have nightmares about featureless blue swans. This is a good example of how a binocular can look great in a store but bad in the field. But the Ultravids rescued me from those horrors.

In *my* typical use the Ultravids CA is probably a hindrance in 1 out of 100 general viewing situations.

I do not judge a binocular on one single attribute. I judge it on overall performance. That is – The FL has a CA free image but I prefer the overall image of the Ultravid when color, sharpness, flare control, ease of viewing, ergonomics and lust are factored in. Image characteristics get the most consideration in my decision. Every binocular has its weakness and in picking my compromises I try and bring as many factors into focus as possible for my use.

It’s worth repeating – the Pentax ED is the lowest price ED glass binocular in the top glass category and it is a top performer (in my opinion). I don't have optical test equipment but to my naked eye in typical use the views, color, contrast, and sharpness etc. are as good or better than the Nikon LXL and Zeiss FL at a price that is 30% less than the Trinovids & Nikon LXL and 45% less than the Zeiss FL. The Pentax ED is worth a good look (outdoors) when making a decision in that class of top optics.

Last edited:
..... That goes for the 10X42. 10X32 and 10X25 when compared to the others.

These models can't be put in the same category. Unlike the x42 and x32 models, which have unchanged optics except for the much improved coating, the 10x25 (as well as the 8x20) are a completely new design. Thus, no wonder it's particularly these pocket Ultravids that get the highest accolades.

Last edited:
It’s worth repeating – the Pentax ED is the lowest price ED glass binocular in the top glass category and it is a top performer (in my opinion). I don't have optical test equipment but to my naked eye in typical use the views, color, contrast, and sharpness etc. are as good or better than the Nikon LXL and Zeiss FL at a price that is 30% less than the Trinovids & Nikon LXL and 45% less than the Zeiss FL. The Pentax ED is worth a good look (outdoors) when making a decision in that class of top optics.

My problem with the Pentax line is the limited field of view compared to ELs, SLCs, FLs, Ultravids, Trinovids, ect..ect. They have great eye relief and are probably well suited to eyeglass wearers, but not for me. I enjoy a wide image too much.

If the wide FOV is a priority then that could eliminate the ED bargain as a choice for you. The EL does have a huge FOV of 75 feet more than the Pentax and one foot more FOV than the Ultravid (comparing the 8x42s). The additional price for that extra 20% of FOV (over the Pentax) is about 100% more or double the price of the Pentax ED cost, assuming that was the only factor being considered. I doubt that was the only consideration but I wanted to make my point that not everyone has an unlimited budget and excellent glass (not meaning its better than the EL, but not much worse) can be had for a lower price in some cases.

The EL is a top view binocular. I was undecided between the EL and the Ultravid for a long time before I finally chose the Ultravid. I can fully understand picking the EL. I have no regrets with the Ultravids and I am sure I would have none with the EL.

In my case birding in the back yard daily for 30 min for the last 2 months has made FOV irrelevant (for me) as far as finding the bird. I am getting to be a crack aim with my binoculars. I can find a flitting song birds in the bushes at close range on first glance now (with 10x) and I am getting better all the time. I was willing to put up with some frustration with 10x while I learned to find the birds effectively. This does not work as well for me when following an active bird flying around in the bushes. Its my style to drop the bin from my eyes and locate the bird again then use the bin. I prefer this style and getting a closer look with a 10X to using a 7X where I might be able to follow the bird with the binocular but at a less magnified image. I do a mix of close and distant viewing and do not enjoy lower power. Hopefully everyone finds what works best for them. I am always looking for suggestions on the technique of using binoculars.

The ED popped into the stores at the exact time we were shopping for an upgrade for my girlfriend (GF) and it came in at the exact price range we wanted to spend. It exceeded all our expectations for quality, size and weight. I am under no illusion its the perfect for anyone else but us.

I do plan on purchasing a pair for 10X50s. This spring we were viewing Woodcocks well after sunset into full darkness while they put on a spectacular mating display and "peenting" calls. While we could see them with a 10x42 a 10X52 would be welcome. Sadly when doing searches on woodcocks there are lots of pages referring to how tasty this bird is and how hunted it is. Unfortunately there are lots of other pages citing alarmingly dwindling numbers of these birds due to vanishing wetlands and some pages cite hunting.

For the 10x50 I am factoring in the ED due to the price performance return. I don’t use 10x50s as much as the other smaller objective due to size and weight, and I’m having a hard time justifying the cost of the really expensive glass. I’m still deciding and I limit myself to changing my mind 50 times a day.

I would agree the 10X25 Ultravid is a special high quality extremely portable binocular that makes my life more enjoyable. In June my GF and I did a bicycle tour in the Utah desert. It would not have been possible for me to carry a larger binocular on my bicycle. One day we rode up a 39 mile hill in a remote wilderness. I could barley get myself up that mountain. But I did have the 10X25 with me and was rewarded for carrying them. I saw many many birds and especially a lot of woodpeckers, deep forest birds and humming birds. One humming bird buzzed my red helmet cover. My GF had the Nikon 10X25 LXL which is another excellent optic but having used both of these binoculars for months now, I have a preference for the Ultravid. I underestimated the strength of the construction of the Ultravid at first. They are so compact and elegant I did not think they would hold up very well. I was wrong they are solid and up for the task of daily use. The hinge is as tight as the first day on the Ultravid. It is rugged construction like this that gives Leica its reputation. The Nikons have become a little looser with use (nothing to be concerned about but it registered in my brain). Having only the 10x25 to use for 2 weeks on vacation I appreciate them more than ever. We also saw the rare Kaibab squirrel at the Grand Canyon on this using the 10x25. The views are so good with the 10x25 (compared to other 25 offerings) its a pleasure to use. The squirrel's habitat is confined entirely to the ponderosa pine forests of the North Rim of Grand Canyon National Park and the northern section of Kaibab National Forest. They are a dark squirrel with a white tail and long ear hair that sticks straight up an inch or two and makes them look quite odd. http://images.enature.com/mammals/ma.../MA0191_1m.jpg

The only grouping I could make about the Ultravids is - I like the models equally. They just pain agree with me. I would recommend them if they meet the buyers budget and needs. If not - there are other choice available and the binocular forum helps highlight the differences.

Binoculars and birding are one of those rare hobbies where the real funs starts after the purchase rather than ending with the purchase as with so many other things I have pursued. Particularly vapid for me are the entertainment devices that seem to be powered by electricity, excessive sitting and staring. I find standing in the rain more rewarding.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back