• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey Birding (1 Viewer)

Sorry to hear you missed it. I have decided not to tick it, I wish I recorded the call and got a picture to confirm it though! I checked this morning and this evening for it and couldn't find it.

David

I did not find the Crossbill last night... Thank you for letting me know one was about.

Regards

Kevin

Well, a walk around the Henley Park area still failed to reveal any Redstarts, despite loads of fantastic-looking habitat. In fact there was virtually nothing to be seen, one or two Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps, and a pair on nesting Coal Tits were the highlights. At least 4 Mandarin on Henley Park Lake...

I see from the cover of the latest Birding Surrey that you found your Redstarts north of the Hogs Back.
But there are at least 3 different locations called Pirbright Common.

Nice job Clive.

Last edited:
Crippling views of the juv Black Tern at Frensham this morning, watched it circling the pond feeding / resting for about an hour awesome stuff.

John.

1 female Firecrest showing extremely well at Banstead Downs Golf Course today (31/10/2008) from 0905-1017 at least when I left. Good patch bird. Also a Bullfinch on site and 4 Fieldfares+2 Skylarks+7 Redwings over as well as an assortment of commoner stuff.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but have any of you locals visited the reservoirs at Staines?

I have to collect my brother from Heathrow on a morning next week, and figured that I'd rather take a mooch around the lakes, than sit in a very expensive car park at the airport, waiting.

Not sure how much time I'll get, but if anyone has any ideas of good spots to head to, it'd be handy. :t:

Standard Staines res is the easiest and most accessible of the reservoirs with the most birders on my experience. There's been a Great Northern Diver hanging around those reservoirs for a while so keep an eye out for it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the Banstead firecrests? I will be spending Christmas there and do not know the area at all.
Thanks!

Head for Banstead Golf Club. As you face the clubhouse, there is a path off to the left which takes you past the putting green. The path forks left towards the first tee, take the RIGHT fork and the Firecrest(s) are along the path.
You need a PDA/mobile phone to play the call.
Good luck

To get to the golf course from Banstead village, get on the A217 towards Sutton, at the roundabout, take the first exit, turn first left (very soon after the roundabout) and turn left again, ahead of you is the golf course. Park either at the club house or the road. Take the wooded footpath and slowly walk along there. If you have a tape, they respond well. Recently they (2-3) have favoured the first 100m or so of the footpath, though they do range to the far end of the footpath.

I will PM you my mobile number and can easily pop over to show you them if you want.

It is an alarmingly small world Marcus. I too will be in Surrey for Christmas from Leeds, and came on here for directions to the Firecrests and also the Hawfinches at Bookham Common!

If anyone can narrow the Hawfinch search also I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Graham

Graham

I saw a Hawfinch today near Bookham Railway Stn. If you drive past the station on your right and take the next right which leads down to a small car park on the common. The Hawfinch are seen in the area in front of the car park. Keep checking the tops of the trees and im sure you will eventually see one.

Regards

Kevin

Attachments

• Bookham Common Hawfinch 1 271208.jpg
    Bookham Common Hawfinch 1 271208.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 92
As far as I'm aware this is the only Waxwing that has so far been seen in Surrey.

Just wondered how the Christmas visitors to Surrey got on with the Firecrests and Hawfinches. I decided not to go local twitching today, but it didn't really work out. I went looking for Goosander at Papercourt and Bouldermere but didn't see a single one. Anyone seen any locally?

Did find a few Brambling with a load of Chaffinches near the disused Wisley Airfield. I'll have to go for those Firecrests and Hawfinches soon.

I decided not to go local twitching today, but it didn't really work out. I went looking for Goosander at Papercourt and Bouldermere but didn't see a single one. Anyone seen any locally?

Hi Clive,

I did see 2 female Goosnder on the 22nd December at Cuttmill Ponds (SU912457). They were on 'The Tarn' lake but most often seen on the Cuttmill Pond itself. The ponds seem a regular wintering area.

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back