Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

24 hrs in Singapore this weekend - where to go?

Old Wednesday 3rd October 2018, 05:47   #1
cassowary

Question 24 hrs in Singapore this weekend - where to go?

Maybe Singapore Botanic gardens? https://ebird.org/hotspot/L952084 or https://ebird.org/hotspot/L6668304

https://ebird.org/barchart?byr=2018&...=9&emo=12&r=SG

not sure - haven't done my homework...

Probably will only do a few hrs birding

Mike
Old Wednesday 3rd October 2018, 10:24   #2
DMW

The Botanical Gardens are good and easy to access (MRT station next to one of the gates) - possibly the easiest site anywhere for Red-legged Crake. Go early as the gardens get busy.

Pasir Ris Park is also easy to reach via MRT, and a good stake-out for Spotted Wood Owl.
Old Wednesday 3rd October 2018, 10:30   #3
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2020

A day trip to Pulau Ubin could be good, although you'd probably need to give it more than a few hours.

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 3rd October 2018, 20:34   #4
cassowary

Chaps thanks for the advice...

I noticed there were a few interesting Owls about.

Cheers,

Mike
Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 10:36   #5
Digbert Doobrey

If your on a stopover at the airport youll waste time getting to the big parks and if its in the middle of the day they will be busy and the birding will be slow. Stay in the Changi area. Check out the small forest and golf course round the back of the Changi Village Hotel. Youve a good chance of Oriental Pied Hornbill plus loads of other stuff like White bellied Sea Eagle, Brahminy Kite, Dollarbird and lots of other goodies. Also a stroll along the sea walk will get you Kingfishers. All very close to the airport. Just get a cab to the Changi Village Hotel.
Old Sunday 14th October 2018, 19:31   #6
Patudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digbert Doobrey View Post
If your on a stopover at the airport you’ll waste time getting to the big parks and if it’s in the middle of the day they will be busy and the birding will be slow. Stay in the Changi area. Check out the small forest and golf course round the back of the Changi Village Hotel. You’ve a good chance of Oriental Pied Hornbill plus loads of other stuff like White bellied Sea Eagle, Brahminy Kite, Dollarbird and lots of other goodies. Also a stroll along the sea walk will get you Kingfishers. All very close to the airport. Just get a cab to the Changi Village Hotel.
That could be a really good game plan if you have only a few hours. Besides the species mentioned above, red-breasted parakeets are all over the place in that area and you should have a great chance of spotting Tanimbar corellas and possibly other introduced cockatoos. From the Changi boardwalk you may see passing terns and the Ubin telecoms tower, from which migratory peregrine falcons have often been reported, can be seen. I spent a late December morning there hoping that one would appear and hunt, but alas, the only raptors I saw (great views though) were the two mentioned by Digbert above. Changi village seafood centre also offers grub and cold drinks (not to be underestimated when tramping around Singapore!).
Old Monday 15th October 2018, 02:29   #7
mjh73

Pasir Ris Parklands are a great spot not too far from the airport. I went there twice during our recent short stay in Singapore and it was some of the more enjoyable birding. Easily accessible, not too busy, not as humid as some of the catchment parks, a few friendly and helpful local bird photographers around.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 21st October 2018, 21:45   #8
cassowary

Managed to see a confiding oriental dwarf kingfisher whilst walking through gardens of the bay This weekend through again Singapore (36 hrs) and I intend to spend most of that time on Pulau Ubin. https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1055540

Mangrove Pitta is around ... hmmmm anyone know where to see this species on the island?

Mike
Old Tuesday 23rd October 2018, 03:29   #9
cassowary

A little bit of research and it seems like the German Girl Shrine mangrove and Chek Jawa Wetlands are the 2 main spots for the pitta.....

Mike
Old Tuesday 23rd October 2018, 05:50   #10
viator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassowary View Post
A little bit of research and it seems like the German Girl Shrine mangrove and Chek Jawa Wetlands are the 2 main spots for the pitta.....
Try in the mangroves where Jln Endut Senin splits into Jln Wat Siam and the Mountain Bike Trail
Last Lifer: Javan Scops Owl (#4184, Sep 11, 2019)
Top 3 Countries: Indonesia (709), Thailand (576), China (573)
Last 2020 Bird: White-faced Plover (#280, Mar 29)
www.viatorphoto.com/wildlife_galleries/birds
Old Wednesday 24th October 2018, 23:47   #11
cassowary

Quote:
Originally Posted by viator View Post
Try in the mangroves where Jln Endut Senin splits into Jln Wat Siam and the Mountain Bike Trail
Cheers I'll take a look

Mike
Old Saturday 27th October 2018, 15:49   #12
cassowary

Just thought that I would add that Pulau Ubin is very easy to access - I've transited through Singapore many times and hadn't thought of birding here. Anyway briefly it's $3 each way for the 'Bum boats' (7am-7pm) to Pulau Ubin - operates very regularly and cycle hire $10 cash/day is almost straight off the jetty - easy biking around the island. Only got one call (playback) of mangrove pitta at the spot viator mentioned; no where else. Nice view of grey headed fish eagle at the same spot (a pair of oriental pied hornbills also hung around) and White-bellied Sea-Eagle and accipiters were seen many times. nothing else notable; maybe going back at 7am for a few hrs...

Mike
Old Tuesday 6th November 2018, 10:52   #13
Mike C
Emeritus President at Burnage Rugby Club

Hi folks,

sorry to add to this thread but it seemed more sensible than starting a new one.
I will be in Singapore on the 2nd January, en route to New Zealand.
I'm staying in the Clarke Quay area. I suspect I'll see stuff I've never come across in the hotel garden (if it has one) and nearby waterways. My partner has organised a city tour for us in the morning, so time might be tight.

My question is not so much where to go but what to read in advance in terms of field guides.
Old Tuesday 6th November 2018, 13:42   #14
viator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
My question is not so much where to go but what to read in advance in terms of field guides.
Craig Robson's "Birds of South-East Asia" is the best for the region
Old Tuesday 6th November 2018, 13:44   #15
Mike C

Quote:
Originally Posted by viator View Post
Craig Robson's "Birds of South-East Asia" is the best for the region
thanks
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 08:48   #16
Aladdin
BF Supporter 2020

Hello

I always spend at least one day at the Sungei Wetland Reserve when Im in Singapore. Of course, Botanical Garden is a sure thing.

Arriving early to the wetlands 6 in the morning and it is pitch dark. They open at 7 but to be in the area when the day light breaks is very nice. And you get a chance to see crocodiles.

Botanical Garden, the Swan lake and there is a small pond where there is a Blue eared Kingfisher every now and then, you see all the bird watchers there with their cameras. And they are friendly, if the bird is not there try the Symphony Lake. Right hand side when you face the scene. There is also the place where they spot the Blue eared Kingfisher. And the famous White throated sitting on the ARROW fishing

You see the Red Legged Quail, flower peckers and Sunbirds. Look up the trees and you are almost guaranteed to see an oriental pied hornbill. They are there almost every time I have been there

Places where I have been looking for birds in Singapore map

Kind regards
Aladdin

Last edited by Aladdin : Thursday 8th November 2018 at 08:50.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 09:07   #17
Mike C

Thanks Aladdin
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 09:38   #18
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Thanks Aladdin
Echoing Mike's thanks Aladdin (we have a one day stopover a few days after Mike and are staying in Changi Village Hotel).

Cheers

Richard (former Heaton Moor Rugby Club player Mike!)
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 09:49   #19
Aladdin
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
Echoing Mike's thanks Aladdin (we have a one day stopover a few days after Mike and are staying in Changi Village Hotel).

Cheers

Cheers!

One day, then I would have choosen the wetland, 45 - 60 minutes with taxi

Stop at the Sungei Bulho bridge between the visitor centre and the wetlands. I have seen a Stork Billed Kingfisher there almost every time. Never any pictures as the bird is just flying by.

IF YOU GO!!!! BRING A BOTTLE TO FILL WITH FREE WATER: The vending machines only seems to have "sweet" water and 2018, who is running around with cash? But I have learnt, have a bottle with you, and a picnic snack

Kind regards
Aladdin

Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 09:54   #20
Mike C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post

Cheers

Heaton Moor - a fine old club.
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 11:53   #21
Aladdin
BF Supporter 2020

Hello

Red Legged Quail in post #16 should of course be Red Legged Crake

Kind regards
Aladdin

Old Sunday 2nd December 2018, 21:54   #22
Patudo

I thought I would attach this question to this post rather than starting an entirely new thread...

Could anyone provide some pointers on Crimson Sunbird localities and habits - in Singapore specifically would be great, but general observations from other locations would also be very welcome. I did see the species twice, once by chance in treetops near the Benjamin Sheares Bridge (a somewhat odd location I thought but I did see the yellow rump) and once where it should be, in the orchid area of the Botanic Gardens, but my brother is there now and has tried the Botanic Gardens a few times for no result. Are they more active at any particular time of the day, do they tend to stay higher in the trees than the much more ubiquitous olive-backed sunbird, do they prefer more forested areas and are any particular flowers preferred etc? I've googled up some videos of both species calling so should be able to tell the two apart if they call.

Many thanks in advance,
patudo
Old Sunday 2nd December 2018, 23:01   #23
viator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
Could anyone provide some pointers on Crimson Sunbird localities and habits - in Singapore specifically would be great, but general observations from other locations would also be very welcome. I did see the species twice, once by chance in treetops near the Benjamin Sheares Bridge (a somewhat odd location I thought but I did see the yellow rump) and once where it should be, in the orchid area of the Botanic Gardens, but my brother is there now and has tried the Botanic Gardens a few times for no result. Are they more active at any particular time of the day, do they tend to stay higher in the trees than the much more ubiquitous olive-backed sunbird, do they prefer more forested areas and are any particular flowers preferred etc? I've googled up some videos of both species calling so should be able to tell the two apart if they call.
Hi Patudo,

They are pretty common in any forest or the more well wooded parks. Your best bet for excellent views is the Heliconia walk in the Botanic Gardens - if you wait awhile should have no problem getting eye level views of them.
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 09:39   #24
Digbert Doobrey

I had Crimson Sunbird on Pulau Ubin.
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 10:10   #25
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digbert Doobrey View Post
I had Crimson Sunbird on Pulau Ubin.
Yes, someone observed Crimson Sunbird there last Sunday, 2 December according to eBird.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: