• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about "in the shell" peanuts (1 Viewer)

otto6457

Hey all.

I had a quick question I haven't found a good answer for.

I have put out a "wreath style" peanut feeder in hopes of getting the Blue Jays to visit the yard. (So far with no luck after a few weeks of being available for them)

My question is, does anyone know how long can I leave the "in the shell" peanuts out in the feeder before I need to replace them? I certainly don't want to make any birds sick. I have looked at the peanuts to make sure there's no mold or anything on them, and they look fine. But without cracking them open it's hard to know if they are still good.

Thanks in advance

It's odd. Usually blue jays go crazy over peanuts. I've read about those wreath feeders and some are good and some are not. You might have the kind of wreath feeder where the wires are unbendable and the blue jays can't pull the peanuts out of the wires. Squirrels should be all over those peanuts too. Also, I hope you are using roasted peanuts and not unroasted peanuts.

"Raw peanuts contain a trypsin inhibitor, this is a substance that inhibits the pancreas from producing trypsin which is an essential enzyme required by the intestine to absorb protein. A bird or animal eating raw peanuts will have trouble absorbing proteins from its food sources thus endangering its health. The other health risk associated with raw peanuts is aflatoxin, a fungal toxin. Aflatoxin is a carcinogenic that causes liver damage in birds and squirrels. The roasting of peanuts destroys the trypsin inhibitor and greatly reduces the risk of the growth of the aflatoxin fungus. The presence of aflatoxin fungus on peanuts will be evident by a mold growing on the peanuts."

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back