Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Third Buzzard on Fuerteventura

Old Sunday 27th October 2019, 17:29   #1
Dave Barnett

Third Buzzard on Fuerteventura

All, Final Buzzard ID required please. Was hoping one of them might be a Long Legged Buzzard but have just been through some of the Birdforum posts and it seems the rufous tail and light colour is also present in the local common Buzzards on the Canary Islands. Also found that the subject of Canary Island Buzzards can really be a controversial topic!!
Cheers,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buzzard Fuerteventura 7.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	708623  Click image for larger version

Name:	Buzzard Fuerteventura 8.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	708624  Click image for larger version

Name:	Buzzard Fuerteventura 9.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	708625  
Old Sunday 27th October 2019, 17:32   #2
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

What was the Northwest African race of Long-legged Buzzard is now considered a form of Common Buzzard anyway. Canaries buzzards have always been Common Buzzards but with some similarities to what used to be the Long-leggeds from the adjacent mainland.

Steve
Old Sunday 27th October 2019, 17:33   #3
Valéry Schollaert
Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or skin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barnett View Post
All, Final Buzzard ID required please. Was hoping one of them might be a Long Legged Buzzard but have just been through some of the Birdforum posts and it seems the rufous tail and light colour is also present in the local common Buzzards on the Canary Islands. Also found that the subject of Canary Island Buzzards can really be a controversial topic!!
Cheers,
Dave
There is no chance of Long-legged Buzzard on the Canaries. Records are from cirtensis that proved to be a sub-species or an allo-species of Common Buzzard. Fuerteventura Common Buzzards look very much like B. (b.) cirtensis indeed.
Old Tuesday 29th October 2019, 06:23   #4
rollingthunder

I have seen LLB deep in Maroc and put them down as such but there are birds up on the Straits that have now been classed as ‘Gibraltar’ Buzzards which is rather confusing...

Laurie -
Old Tuesday 29th October 2019, 08:29   #5
Valéry Schollaert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
I have seen LLB deep in Maroc and put them down as such but there are birds up on the Straits that have now been classed as ‘Gibraltar’ Buzzards which is rather confusing...

Laurie -
They are not longer considered as LLB, but North African Buzzard, with shape and voice as Common Buzzard, not like LLB. I scream that since more than 20 years, but finally science confirmed recently.
Old Tuesday 29th October 2019, 08:45   #6
rollingthunder

So - are all Buzzards in the Mahgreb just a subspecies of Common i.e. cirtensis or what?

Laurie
Old Tuesday 29th October 2019, 09:06   #7
davercox
Dave Cox
BF Supporter 2020

In the April 2017 British Birds, there is an article by Guillermo Rodriguez, Juan Ramirez and Javier Elorriaga entitled 'Phenotypic characteristics of Common Buzzards on Fuerteventura'; the abstract says
"The Common Buzzards Buteo buteo ‘lanzarotae’ from Fuerteventura, in the Canary Islands, are distinctive. This taxon often resembles Long-legged Buzzard B. rufinus but also shows some plumage traits consistent with Common Buzzard B. buteo. We describe the plumage of ‘lanzarotae’, and highlight features that separate it from Common Buzzards in the western Canary Islands and from North African Long-legged Buzzard B. r. cirtensis. We suggest that the appearance of ‘lanzarotae’ may be the product of a hybrid origin and also that currently accepted records of Long-legged Buzzard in the Canary Islands are in fact ‘lanzarotae’."

N.b. IOC v9.2 does not recognise 'lanzarotae' but also does not include any part of the Canaries as part of the range of 'cirtensis' either.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 29th October 2019, 09:10   #8
rollingthunder

Interesting

gibraltarensis > cirtensis - makesnosensis

Good birding -

Laurie -
Old Tuesday 29th October 2019, 12:56   #9
Valéry Schollaert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
So - are all Buzzards in the Mahgreb just a subspecies of Common i.e. cirtensis or what?

Laurie
Yes, either a subspecies of Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo cirtensis) or a closely related species Buteo cirtensis.

It is like for Scottish Crossbill, Heuglin's Gull and many others : we will probably disagree for years... split - lump - split - lump...

But in no case Long-legged Buzzard.
Old Tuesday 29th October 2019, 13:01   #10
Valéry Schollaert

Quote:
Originally Posted by davercox View Post
In the April 2017 British Birds, there is an article by Guillermo Rodriguez, Juan Ramirez and Javier Elorriaga entitled 'Phenotypic characteristics of Common Buzzards on Fuerteventura'; the abstract says
"The Common Buzzards Buteo buteo ‘lanzarotae’ from Fuerteventura, in the Canary Islands, are distinctive. This taxon often resembles Long-legged Buzzard B. rufinus but also shows some plumage traits consistent with Common Buzzard B. buteo. We describe the plumage of ‘lanzarotae’, and highlight features that separate it from Common Buzzards in the western Canary Islands and from North African Long-legged Buzzard B. r. cirtensis. We suggest that the appearance of ‘lanzarotae’ may be the product of a hybrid origin and also that currently accepted records of Long-legged Buzzard in the Canary Islands are in fact ‘lanzarotae’."

N.b. IOC v9.2 does not recognise 'lanzarotae' but also does not include any part of the Canaries as part of the range of 'cirtensis' either.
I said that in 2015 already when I visited Fuerteventura. I've shown, as a test, a bird taken on the island and claimed it was taken in Morocco. The question was : local cirtensis or wintering buteo ?

100% said cirtensis (then I told them the truth).

The article is ok, but still consider cirtensis as a sub-species of Long-legged like most in 2017.

Now everyone accept cirtensis that is linked to buteo and not to rufinus, it changed it all. The similarity of Canarian sub-species and cirtensis is a point to lump cirtensis with buteo.
Old Tuesday 29th October 2019, 14:58   #11
Barred Wobbler

A Fuerteventura common buzzard at Los Molinos in 2011.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buzzard,-Los-Molinos-(8)-800-web.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	708806  
Old Tuesday 29th October 2019, 15:18   #12
lou salomon
the birdonist

is fuerteventurae sth. different than isularum?
Old Tuesday 29th October 2019, 16:07   #13
Valéry Schollaert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou salomon View Post
is fuerteventurae sth. different than isularum?
In the field, birds from Fuerteventura looks like cirtensis, while other B. b. insularum looks more like buteo.
Old Wednesday 30th October 2019, 10:17   #14
James Lowther

just a comment that regardless of the new research *as of today* all the world checklists still count cirtensis as a subspecies of LLB.
No doubt that will change in time however,
cheers,
James
Old Wednesday 30th October 2019, 13:51   #15
Valéry Schollaert

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lowther View Post
just a comment that regardless of the new research *as of today* all the world checklists still count cirtensis as a subspecies of LLB.
cheers,
James
You are right, and I've no idea why they are so shy to move on, while some of them are splitting like crazy on every occasions.

Already in 2002 while publishing my French guide book about bird of Morocco, I wanted to change the traditionnal classification while my co-authors thought it was too early, although they agreed that should be done soon or later.

I've very surprised that 17 years later while genetics confirmed, earlier this year, what we said, none of those international references have taken action yet.
Old Wednesday 30th October 2019, 16:18   #16
Tib78

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lowther View Post
cheers,
James
That’s far from certain in fact.

Sure enough the taxonomy of buzzards «from North Africa» is bound to evolve sound or late.
As, for instance, the current classification makes little sense when it lumps «Gibraltar buzzard» with cirtensis while birds from the Canary’s are listed under Common buzzard.

The paper by Jowers and al. (2019) certainly help and build a better understanding of the relationship between cirtensis and it’s close cousins, buteo and rufinus. However the reasons put forward to lump cirtensis with Buteo buteo aren’t considered valid by some (very good) geneticists.

The genetics of cirtensis is not homogenous across its range (or what is currently considered to be its range ...) as the contribution of Common buzzard clearly increases as we go to the northwest(ie Northern Morocco/Gibraltar) while eastern birds (Tunisia) are apparently closer to rufinus.
And thus lumping cirtensis with buteo is still considered premature, or even incorrect by some, based on the very same results obtained by Jowers and al.

So...the last word on this topic as yet to be written it seems.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: