Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

How reliable is E-bird?

Old Monday 20th January 2020, 05:29   #26
Hauksen

Hi Jurek,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurek View Post
Now this may be because European birders use platforms based on ornitho or observado. Unfortunately cannot help you which is the one of choice in Portugal.
Could you please post a link to observado? My preferred search engine doesn't seem to find it, or only this one:

https://www.observation.org

Probably it's the same, as it has a redirection from observado.org, but I am still sort of confused.

Many thanks!

Henning
Old Monday 20th January 2020, 07:47   #27
SteveClark

As a moderator for eBird in Tanzania I can say that a major issue here is the reliance on guides - both human and ageing books/apps. In both cases misidentification is common and taxonomy is out of date. When people are entering sightings they often can't find a match for the name supplied by the guide so wither guess or choose a name that is close (for a species only found in Australia/Sri Lanka/China etc). Accuracy of locations is also an issue - long drives between beds in the Serengeti get lumped into one point with 5 decimal point accuracy lats and longs. We are getting tougher on these lists and are now tending to remove them from public view.
Old Monday 20th January 2020, 08:37   #28
jurek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauksen View Post
Could you please post a link to observado? My preferred search engine doesn't seem to find it, or only this one:

https://www.observation.org
That's it. I hope some BF member from Portugal can comment how the Portuguese birders prefer to exchange sightings online.
Old Monday 20th January 2020, 09:12   #29
RyanI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurek View Post
That's it. I hope some BF member from Portugal can comment how the Portuguese birders prefer to exchange sightings online.
I've worked with quite a few Portuguese birders and they are all keen eBirders and most were reviewers for ebird.
Old Tuesday 21st January 2020, 16:43   #30
ZanderII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanI View Post
I've worked with quite a few Portuguese birders and they are all keen eBirders and most were reviewers for ebird.
Yep.

4000 birders have contributed to eBird in Portugal.
Old Tuesday 21st January 2020, 17:45   #31
Surreybirder
Ken Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW View Post
There are two issues at play. The first is simple identification error, which is very frequent. The second is the use of hotspots, which are the easy option when inputting records. This is usually why you get records of waders in rainforest, or shy forest species in the middle of cities.

Sadly, some birders seem to use ebird as their personal listing software, and just dump records, often with an x rather than an actual count, in random locations in a country, often the capital city. Personally I would like to see ebird close the accounts of birders who do this.
I noticed this when some Dutch birders were doing a Western Palearctic 'big year'. All sorts of sightings suddenly appeared in Surrey, which were clearly erroneous. I imagine that the people in question just chose a random spot on the map of England and submitted a list of everything they had seen. Sooner or later the reviewers will catch up with them. I had a sighting of a tawny eagle in India in 1987 queried recently! I had to admit that it was not proven.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: