Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Pentax DCF ED 10x50 and Vortex Viper HD 10x50

Old Wednesday 5th November 2014, 07:48   #1
Swedpat

Pentax DCF ED 10x50 and Vortex Viper HD 10x50

I wonder about the difference between Pentax DCF ED 10x50 and Vortex Viper HD 10x50. These two are very similar in several aspects. Vortex has slightly larger FOV but Pentax slightly better ER. Vortex is much lower price, though.

Anyone who has experience of these two?
Old Wednesday 5th November 2014, 08:46   #2
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
I wonder about the difference between Pentax DCF ED 10x50 and Vortex Viper HD 10x50. These two are very similar in several aspects. Vortex has slightly larger FOV but Pentax slightly better ER. Vortex is much lower price, though.

Anyone who has experience of these two?
I have owned the 10x50 Pentax's in each version, the SP & ED. Vortex makes a fine product but having never actually using their Viper HD 10x50 & seeing their eye relief spec's, these would not work for me. If I were to need another 10x50 binocular for close up detail & did not want to spend a lot of money, I would purchase another Pentax just because of the big difference in the eye relief. The small difference in FOV between the two is another reason why I would not purchase the Viper over the Pentax. Pentax's have very comfortable long eye relief of 22mm compared to the Viper & I saw no blackout problem. The Pentax is very user friendly & optically is very nice. Since CA is not a problem for me, I would purchase either version , the SP or ED. Also the Pentax ED has a more quality look & feel than any Viper I have owned. ... gwen

Last edited by gcole : Wednesday 5th November 2014 at 08:59.
Old Wednesday 5th November 2014, 09:25   #3
Swedpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post
I have owned the 10x50 Pentax's in each version, the SP & ED. Vortex makes a fine product but having never actually using their Viper HD 10x50 & seeing their eye relief spec's, these would not work for me. If I were to need another 10x50 binocular for close up detail & did not want to spend a lot of money, I would purchase another Pentax just because of the big difference in the eye relief. The small difference in FOV between the two is another reason why I would not purchase the Viper over the Pentax. Pentax's have very comfortable long eye relief of 22mm compared to the Viper & I saw no blackout problem. The Pentax is very user friendly & optically is very nice. Since CA is not a problem for me, I would purchase either version , the SP or ED. Also the Pentax ED has a more quality look & feel than any Viper I have owned. ... gwen

Thanks for the reply!

I agree with you that the viewing comfort due to long ER is more important than a very small difference of FOV. I wear eyeglasses so for me blackouts rarely occur, only with some 23+mm ER models.

Worth to comment is that the new Vortex Razor HD 10x50 is around the price of DCF ED 10x50. But these have even shorter ER, it's stated only 16,5mm.

Patric
Old Wednesday 5th November 2014, 10:34   #4
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
Thanks for the reply!

I agree with you that the viewing comfort due to long ER is more important than a very small difference of FOV. I wear eyeglasses so for me blackouts rarely occur, only with some 23+mm ER models.

Worth to comment is that the new Vortex Razor HD 10x50 is around the price of DCF ED 10x50. But these have even shorter ER, it's stated only 16,5mm.

Patric
At times, the Pentax here in the states sell for under $700 on Ebay new. Now on Ebay, from a dealer in Canada selling for $719. I have purchased from that dealer with no problems in the past. The Vortex Razor HD look to be a very nice binocular but its eye relief is to short for me. If I were going to start spending over the $1000 level for a 10 or 12x binocular, I would buy the new Swaro EL 12x & get the best long eye relief/max Fov possible. I have said here in the past that it would be insane paying such high prices & never would but I might be forced to do just that. I am considering the purchase of the 12x Swaro to replaced my low power travel scope so I could use two eyes instead of one. After my last current eye exam which did not go so well, I might have to fork out some insane price .... gwen

Last edited by gcole : Wednesday 5th November 2014 at 10:39.
Old Friday 28th November 2014, 22:32   #5
Swedpat

I can tell that I acquired a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 instead. Will see if I find it justified to get a 10x bino as well, but this Zeiss glass is really a great allround model!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: