Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

VIP Treatment on the Eden Estuary

Old Friday 24th September 2004, 22:55   #1
chris baker

VIP Treatment on the Eden Estuary

Evening All,

Had my first visit to the Eden estuary today and what a day. My first stop was at Tentsmuir where an enlightened Car Park Attendant informed me I would be wasting my time there and that I'd be better off at a Council run hide on the Eden Estuary. Having got the directions off I went and what a delightful surprise it was. A hide with comfy chairs, a toilet with hot and cold and tea making facilties, I was dumbstruck. The local birders were in there and within minutes I was offered a sausage roll and a cup of coffee- a great start! Birds were plentiful but I'm leaving them out of this. The local Ranger arrived about 10 minutes after me, the locals intoduced me and things got even better.

Les Hatton (the Ranger) offered to take me to another hide where I'd be even closer to the birds, so off we went, I parked in one of the St Andrews Golf Club car parks and after a 15 minute walk was ushered into a hide alongside one of the holes, that overlooked the estuary. Bally Marvellous! I spent a good 5 hours there, the weather was glorious, the birds many and varied and I got a cracking shot of a Kestrel.

Apart from the birds my day was made even more special by the welcome I received and the superb assistance of Les. I've now got a further 3 locations to visit in that area (I can't wait) and it's all down to the Carpark Attendant!

It reaffirms my faith in human nature when you have a day like this, quite a change from some of the atmospheres I've come across in other hides. I can highly recommend a visit to anyone, the hide is in Guardbridge, next to the papermill. Enjoy!

Chris Baker

Last edited by chris baker : Saturday 25th September 2004 at 09:54. Reason: spelling

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 24th September 2004, 23:14   #2
Bluetail
Senior Moment

Stone me! Now that's what I call duding in style! If we had something like that down here the site would be my local patch in no time. And I'll bet that hide will convert a good few folk to birdwatching.
Sorrow's best friend and Mirth's professed foe
The chief discourser that delights sad Care.
O come, poor owl, and tell thy woes to me.
Which having heard, I'll do the like for thee.

(Anon c.1607)

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 25th September 2004, 06:10   #3
IanF

Days like that come few and far between. Some people will hardly give you the time and yet others are very helpful indeed. I have picked up quite a few good local ones this year too.

Congratulations on picking up a few more birding locations.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 27th September 2004, 11:29   #4
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2020

Sounds very pleasant, Chris and I'm glad you enjoyed visiting my old patch. I was down in St Andrews on Friday myself, but was a bit too busy to do any birding. The Guardbridge hide is very good, although they usually have the heating on which makes my bins steam up!

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: