Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Belize march 2014

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 7th October 2013, 09:25   #1
CarstenFog

Belize march 2014

Going to Belize in march 2014 and not having unlimited time, I need som advice on which site to visit in order to get the most out of birding while seeing the site - El Pilar or Xunantunich. Any advice on the best places to bird around San Ignasio would also be very helpful. We will have a rented car and would like to optimize both birding and sight seeing. We will have three full days at our disposal.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Regards
Carsten
Old Monday 7th October 2013, 11:15   #2
Jeff hopkins

If you can get to Caracol, the birding there was quite good, especially from the top of the pyramid.
Old Monday 7th October 2013, 12:36   #3
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

The area around Thousand Foot Falls is good, with Orange-breasted Falcon at the falls themselves (also when I visited in March 2007 King Vulture, Swallow-tailed Kite, both close at almost eye level, nesting Plumbeous Vireo, and nearby Rusty Sparrows, Yellow-backed Oriole and a few other bits & bobs). There's an account of my trip here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=83137 , with the Mountain Pine Ridge stuff on #12.

Have a great trip, and do please let us know how you got on.

Cheers

James
Old Monday 7th October 2013, 15:55   #4
CarstenFog

Thanks Jeff and James (looking forward to reading through your trip report). I'll make plans for both sites which leaves us with one day. Should we opt for El Pilar or Xunantunich or another site altogether?

Regards Carsten
Old Thursday 13th February 2014, 12:46   #5
Sy V

Having lived in Belize, albeit in 1985, I'd opt for Xunantunich and take in the ruins too. Given how long they've been there I can't imagine that they've changed much in less than 30 years!

My Gallery - (Not so) Regularly Updated

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th February 2014, 06:56   #6
CarstenFog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy V View Post
Having lived in Belize, albeit in 1985, I'd opt for Xunantunich and take in the ruins too. Given how long they've been there I can't imagine that they've changed much in less than 30 years!
We've decided to go to Xunantunich during the day time one day and doing the night walk from one of the nearby lodges the same day. Hope to see lots of good birds in the San Ignasio area.
Regards Carsten
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: