• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Startling: birds prefer whole to ground peanuts. (1 Viewer)

Wetstuff

I have been purchasing peanuts and peanut butter from an 'animal feed' wholesaler in North Carolina for about the last four years. I typically get a couple deliveries of ~300lbs. during the year.

A couple of things I have learned: all birds, from Wrens to Jays, prefer whole kernels. They also prefer them with the thin, dark skin removed. (blanched) If you set out 4 with skins and 4 w/o.. you will have four with skins leftover for quite a while. I have never set out peanuts-in-the-shell, so I cannot compare them.

They did not have any 'hearts' (the little thing at the base of the two kernels) so I got 200lbs of 'ground' that were overage from a wholesale baker. Since almost every bird we have eats peanuts, I figured the Wren, Titmouse, etc... would feast on smaller portions. Not so?! The ground birds will 'clean their plate' but the feeder-birds prefer black-oil or whole (or half whole) peanuts.

I also buy peanut butter in 40lb tubs that I mix with oilseed - load in saved suet tubs - and freeze before hanging.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back