Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Pyrenees and central Spain

Old Saturday 22nd February 2020, 20:25   #1
Gleb Berloff
sokol

Pyrenees and central Spain

Dear everyone,
I am a huge raptor enthusiast, and was thinking about a visit to the Pyrenees this summer. I have no car with me, unfortunately.
I am interested in all raptors, but especially in lammergeier. Can anybody perhaps advise me a place perhaps within easy reach of a place of public transport, reliable for lammergeiers. Can Jaca be reached by public transport from Zaragoza, for example? I'm told if I walk from Jaca it will pass through areas very good for them.
I am also extremely interested in spanish imperial eagle- can they be observed at Chapineria information center near Madrid easily? Or anywhere nearby?
Thanks!
Gleb
Old Sunday 23rd February 2020, 10:45   #2
foresttwitcher

Gleb, I tried two mornings for Spanish Imperial eagle from the roof of Chapineria Information Center plus taking the way-marked walk one morning with no luck but they are supposed to be possible.

I saw one flyover the road as I drove in to Valdemaqueda just to the north which is also supposed to be a good spot.

Can't see the birds for the trees!
Old Sunday 23rd February 2020, 12:41   #3
Barred Wobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb Berloff View Post
Dear everyone,
I am a huge raptor enthusiast, and was thinking about a visit to the Pyrenees this summer. I have no car with me, unfortunately.
I am interested in all raptors, but especially in lammergeier. Can anybody perhaps advise me a place perhaps within easy reach of a place of public transport, reliable for lammergeiers. Can Jaca be reached by public transport from Zaragoza, for example? I'm told if I walk from Jaca it will pass through areas very good for them.
I am also extremely interested in spanish imperial eagle- can they be observed at Chapineria information center near Madrid easily? Or anywhere nearby?
Thanks!
Gleb
The closest to Jaca that I've seen Lammergeier is the valley near Canfranc Estacion, about 12 miles north of Jaca. A more reliable spot is a few miles further on at Candanchu/Astun. The land in the immediate vicinity of Jaca isn't mountainous enough.

I once saw one over the road on the way north into the mountains from Huesca near the new tunnels, but that was a one-off and there isn't really anywhere to stop there.
Old Sunday 23rd February 2020, 14:53   #4
rosbifs

In that area formigal is fairly sure for lammergeier
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: