Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reliable guides in Goa.

Old Tuesday 17th October 2006, 12:47   #1
forthbirder

Reliable guides in Goa.

Hi folks. Heading to Arpora in Goa in March. Can anyone recommend some reliable birding guides/taxi drivers operating in this area. Cheers
Old Wednesday 18th October 2006, 10:55   #2
Alf King

Quote:
Originally Posted by register
Hi folks. Heading to Arpora in Goa in March. Can anyone recommend some reliable birding guides/taxi drivers operating in this area. Cheers

Check out http://www.daytrippergoa.com/bwatching.html .

Harvey and Neil are good guys and good and reliable guides.

Also check out the trip reports at www.travellingbirder.com where a number of people will have recommended reliable guides/taxi drivers.

HTH
Old Wednesday 18th October 2006, 17:46   #3
Jack Daw
Therapy of the green leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by register
Hi Register
I visited Goa in March/April in 2005 and had a fabulous time managed to rack up nearly 200 spps and that was not 24hr birding as my good lady is not remotely interested in birds.Stayed at the Marinha Dourada hotel the taxi drivers outside the hotel were brilliant very obliging took you anywhere you wanted to go for example aday out to Morjim beach cost us £6 for the whole day fabulous value and a day out to Panjim for £10 just outside our hotel was an excellent saltpan area with a constantly changing array of waders, kingfishers and loads of Little Green Bee Eaters. Baga hill was stunning too but lots of development going on so I do not know what it will be like now somebody will probably give you a recent update. Oh and Black kites EVERYWHERE. Goa a superb place - have a great trip. Super food, very friendly people and cheap cheap beer and brilliant birds.
PS A word of warning in the more rural areas be wary of any dogs as they could be rabid!! One or two other birders I met did come across rabid dogs so give them a wide berth.I f you want any more info send me a PM and I will try my best to help.
Regards JD
Old Thursday 19th October 2006, 10:35   #4
Alf King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daw
Hi Register
I visited Goa in March/April in 2005 and had a fabulous time managed to rack up nearly 200 spps and that was not 24hr birding as my good lady is not remotely interested in birds.Stayed at the Marinha Dourada hotel the taxi drivers outside the hotel were brilliant very obliging took you anywhere you wanted to go for example aday out to Morjim beach cost us £6 for the whole day fabulous value and a day out to Panjim for £10 just outside our hotel was an excellent saltpan area with a constantly changing array of waders, kingfishers and loads of Little Green Bee Eaters. Baga hill was stunning too but lots of development going on so I do not know what it will be like now somebody will probably give you a recent update. Oh and Black kites EVERYWHERE. Goa a superb place - have a great trip. Super food, very friendly people and cheap cheap beer and brilliant birds.
PS A word of warning in the more rural areas be wary of any dogs as they could be rabid!! One or two other birders I met did come across rabid dogs so give them a wide berth.I f you want any more info send me a PM and I will try my best to help.
Regards JD
You didn't mention Arpora Woods JD. I presume you went their for Indian Pitta etc?
Old Friday 20th October 2006, 12:24   #5
Jack Daw
Therapy of the green leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf King
You didn't mention Arpora Woods JD. I presume you went their for Indian Pitta etc?
Sorry forgot to mention Arpora forest fantastic area best place for Indian Pitta and Orange Headed thrush just to the right of the Cabana Night Club.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pitta5.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	61725  

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: