• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poo (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Well we all do it!!!

Even the little birdies do it!

Although judging by my garage door at the moment, some of the birdies ain't so little.

As my good lady says, it rather looks like we've been visited by Jackson Pollock!

This is not my only encounter with copious poo either. It's only about two years since the aforementioned light of my life asked if I would clean the poo off the car rear window - Renault Laguna for the purpose of setting the scene.

Such an innocuous request - or so I thought! It is not an exaggeration to say you barely see glass. It can only have been dumped on by a low-flying ostrich!

And wait there's more. I, and the same fair maiden, were witness to both vision AND sound of a duck pooing in a river. I cannot contemplate where it all came from - although suddenly I have cause to rethink the "ostrich" incident!

Anyone out there with anything pooey they need to divulge?

PS. Have you ever seen a lizard have a poo? I have!
PPS. If you think I'm a bit preoccupied by poo - well at least I don't rummage through it!
PPPS. (to kingfisher) Surely you have some stories to tell???;)

Had something manage to get me the other day.

Nothing unsual in that, just happened to be in the car doing about 30mph with window only open an inch.

Oh Please!! I somehow manage to be pooed upon more than any other birder that I know. It has become a standing joke around my fellow audubon birders. Don't stand too close to KC. If a bird is flying by and feels the need to poo, I am, without failure, the one that gets pooed upon.

I've got Lesser Crested Tern poo on one of my coats . .

(well actually, it was probably just an Arctic Tern, but it could have been the LCT)

And Waxwing poo on another . . . and that's genuine

Anyone got anything better?!?

Michael

Like you Michael I have been covered with Arctic Tern droppings. I was in western Iceland last year hoping to find a White-rumped Sandpiper which was on a pool at the edge of supposedly the world's largest Arctic Tern colony. As I scurried to from the car, fending off manic terns, to what I thought was a safe vantage point my telescope lens was pointing upwards and unprotected and received a direct hit slap bang in the middle of the lens. It also got it in my hair, coat etc. I never did find the sandpiper. Lovely birds though Arctic Terns.

funnily enough, and just to add a bit of spice, some of my friends actually have poo lists (although substitute poo for s*%$) where each bird that is on it has been seen pooing!

I've got Red-eyed Vireo poo on my hat. It happened on Scilly and one chap was so impressed, he offered to buy it as a memento. It's still there, i can't get rid of the mark1

Darrell

Michael - talking of Waxwing poo!! have you ever seen a bird with a faster constitution? they only do two things. One is eating and the other - well..you've got it on your coat!

Darrell

Turdus most be the most appropriate species name. Thrushes and Blackbirds can IMO (and unfortunate experience) poo like no other bird.
I was once walking under a tree as a song thrush tried to defend its nest from a pair of magpies. Luckily I was weaaring waterproofs at the time as the thrush seemed to have attempted to expunge its whole body weight via its rear exit. Foul smelling too.

Too true Darrell & Esmond!

I guess its the berries . . you know the reputation of plums and figs, I don't suppose other berries are any different!

Come to think of it, I read somewhere that most fruit have evolved this trait, so that the birds have to eat more to stay full, it means more seeds get dispersed more quickly, and also the seeds don't get damaged by a long stay in the gut

Class act on catching the Vireo poop . . that must be the winner :t:

Michael

You are not going to believe this and you may think this is another Colin wind up but it is not. If you get poo on your car windscreen (windshield) then it is possible to identify the bird that caused the mess. Indeed this goes for any other place a bird may have done it. There is a book called "What Bird Did That". Unfortunately I cannot remember the authors name nor the publisher but this is a genuine book -- honest.

Colin

PS. here is the info found on a search engine

What Bird Did That?: A Driver's Guide to Some Common Birds of North America
by Peter Hansard, Burton Silver

I've got Mute Swan poo inside a waxed Jacket!. 2 hours worth!.

I've said before, if you ever zip up and injured Swan in a waterproof jacket, turn it inside out first. And the jacket!

I've heard a few stories of people picking up "owl pellets" only to find they've got a handfull of dogmuck!!!

Don't you just hate it when you see bird shit on your car window and, thinking it is a hard dry one, you go to scratch it off with your thumbnail only to find it is a sloppy one that goes all over your fingers!!!

Give 'em up Annie. I did a couple of years back, put on 2 stone I cant shift but what the hell. Me gardens white with guano from the various birds that visit and I have a new addition of the canine variety that is adding her fourpenneth.

Mike:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back