• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Your woodpecker wants in...." (1 Viewer)

tominadel

So she said as we were getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner here in the U.S., and I thought, "at last, a witness". You see I have this male Downey Woodpecker who comes and begs at my door when something is amiss at the woodpecker feeding sites. I've tried to rationalize through this but I finally gave up and thought to heck with it, the bird wants fed. So when he begs as shown in the photos, off I'll go to see what's wrong at the feeders and the little woodpecker chirps with delight and stays close enough to reach out and touch. Usually there is a larger Hairy woodpecker or a Red-bellied on the Downey's smaller suet basket. The little bird does not peck, just clings to the door and looks in. I'm leaving for Ecuador and Gallapagos soon, so I've asked a birding friend to take good care of the Downey. I hope you all enjoy the photo's. Happy Holidays.
Tom

Attachments

• Woodpecker wants in 2 TLawson 11232006.jpg
    Woodpecker wants in 2 TLawson 11232006.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Downey wants in  TLawson 112306.jpg
    Downey wants in TLawson 112306.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 146
I love them! The woodpeckers have a personality all their own! I had a similar experience in the summer with one pecking at my window.

Too cute!! I have a downy that comes to my yard, he seems outgoing enough, doesn't matter if I am out there or not.

This has to be the cutest story, I have some woodpeckers coming to my feeder, they look just like the pics except no red. Is that a female?
My cardinals just chirp up a storm if the feeder is empty, and one almost landed on me when I was refilling the sunflowerseeds, he must have been hungry, they are usually more shy.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back