• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blyth's Reed-Warbler (Acrocephalus dumetorum) in south-western Briefs Garden / Sri La (1 Viewer)

bubo_bubo

The images of Acrocephalus Warbler in south-western Briefs Garden was shot near the west coast inland in a garden area. I am thinking of Blyth's Reed-Warbler but could confirm ID, as the habitat – a garden hedge – is quite strange for me. Scanning the images I'm would be grateful for ID from the experts.
Cheers
Johannes

Attachments

• Blyth Reed-Warbler__F2A5643.jpg
    Blyth Reed-Warbler__F2A5643.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 119
  • Blyth Reed-Warbler__F2A5657.jpg
    Blyth Reed-Warbler__F2A5657.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Blyth Reed-Warbler_F2A5630.jpg
    Blyth Reed-Warbler_F2A5630.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 138
Would like to have seen more detail in the wings however, overall the wings look short for this unstreaked Acro, and the general cosmetic plus the expansive fore-super look good for BRW.

Cheers

For me, it's not a Acrocephalus.
I think this is a Syke's Warbler.
The proportions, the long, unrounded tail, the general hue of the plumage, the colour of the legs, the dark cap on the edges,...target this species.
Jean

Thanks for the advice. I attach a (bad) photo to show the back side of the warbler. Sorry for the quality!
Cheeers
Johannes

Attachments

• Blyth Reed-Warbler__F2A5653.jpg
    Blyth Reed-Warbler__F2A5653.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 110
I must admit this is a more difficult bird than it first appeared to be, but I'm not really seeing Sykes's here. I know the plumage looks rather pale brown and the bill long with a pale, ummarked lower mandible, but I think this could be misleading - most of the images are over-exposed. You can't really see the wing structure in any of the images - the flight feathers look uncharacteristically "messy" for Blyth's Reed, but that could just be wing moult - and the tail looks alternately short and spiky or quite long and straight-edged. The undertail-coverts don't look that full, but it's hard to be sure. The iris is reddish-brown, however - on Iduna, the eye looks all-dark unless you get a really close view in very good light. Overall I would say I don't see much to rule out Blyth's Reed.

This location (close to Bentota, I think) is probably better for BRW too. I would expect Sykes's to turn up in the north, e.g. the Jaffna Peninsula, or perhaps on the islands.

Thanks a lot for the discussion. Yes, the location is close to Bentota/ west Coast Sri Lanka. For me, habitat for BRW was strange
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back