• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please ID, Monteverde Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

LazDivaz

Please help to identify this bird, shot by one of our guests in Monteverde Cloud Forest. I promised him we would find the answer very soon, considering the weather conditions in the UK today!

Attachments

• richardsbird.jpg
    richardsbird.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 141
That's a Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra), a migrant from the north.

Edit: It does rain here too!

Last edited:
other option?

Thanks, Motmot. But isn't there any chance it could be a female Scarlet Tanager?
The weather in London today, if I believe the photos my friend sent me from her window, is snow!

The sputtering call of the summer tanager is easy to distinguish from the scarlet tanager. That is how I tell them apart.

Well, where I live in Spain we also get snow, not just today but most of the winter! I was thinking in the country as a whole. ;)
The bird looks red on my monitor, not like female (or male by the way) Scarlet tanager.

Edit: Forgot to add Scarlets are only migrants (April and October) in Monteverde. Summers are fairly common wintering birds (September-April).

Last edited:
As Momot said, Scarlet Tanagers migrate through. They also have black wings and tail, a smaller bill and less crested look than Summer Tanager.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back