• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC 8x30 diopter adjustment (1 Viewer)

stephentappin

Hi,
I've had these SLCs 8x30s for about a year, and while I'm generally very happy with the quality, one thing has always bugged me. It's a small thing really, but my diopter adjustment does not zero correctly - unless of course, it's not meant to! The arrow can only point either side of the zero mark (it uses detents to lock the position) , and possibly as a consequence of this the arrow doesn't tally up with the other marks. Is this correct? does anyone else who owns this model notice this?
(I usually don't have to correct for diopter on binoculars - or if I do, it's a very slight adjustment).

Thanks
Steve

reply to my own post

No one else own 8x30 SLCs?

As an aside, Swarovski's legendary customer service seems not to extend to the UK (so far). Admittedly I've only emailed them twice so far; perhaps they don't reply to emails? - but then why provide that means of contact?
My query may seem trivial, but, well, you know, these binos aren't exactly cheap!

Hi Steve, I own a lot older Swarovski 7x30 SLC and in 2003 Swarovski of North America [SONA] completely replaced everything but the outer lens, new serial number etc. This model does not have phase coating and the optical window in front of the objective lens. My diopter control is lined up with the new and old one, but it doesn't have the detents. Is your model what they call the neu? I am trading this 7 in on a Swaro 8x30 SLC neu in a few weeks so I could tell you then.:) I did try this model at the shop but forget about the diopter and this is just me I wouldn't worry about.
Regards,Steve

PS one of the reasons I am getting another Swarovski is because of the warranty and past friendly service I have received, it is almost like you are part of a big family. :)

Last edited:
Dear Steve,

I have found your e mail that was sent to our info UK address on 7th November which appears to have been overlooked and I offer our sincere apologies for this oversight.
A reply has been sent to your e mail address with an explanation.

I would just like to say that the situation with your email was very rare indeed and that the after sales service of Swarovski Optik in the UK is considered as second to none in the trade by dealers and consumers – even our fiercest competitors recognise this fact.

Please accept our apologies and I wait to hear from you.
I also note that you mentioned two e mails however there was only one that we overlooked. I assume that you received the reply to your first one regarding the missing instruction booklet from your dealer. If not please let me know your address and we will send it to you.
Regards
Christine

First, thanks 'Mooreorless' for your reply. They are the 'neu' version of the SLCs. It seems I might have to eat my words regarding Swarovski's customer service, judging by the reply below - I just got unlucky, I guess!

Hi Christine, thanks for getting back to me.
I haven't received your email, or at least, I don't see it - I've also gone through my junk mail folder to see if had been sorted there, but no sign of it there. Strangely, I did get the email from Swarovski headed 'account information' a kind of news letter I think.
I've updated my registration information on Swarovski.com with a newer email address, one which is still fresh and unspoiled by spam! I wonder if you could try sending your reply to that one?

I had sent 2 mails (about the diopter question), one through the Swarovski site, and the other replying to the mail regarding the missing instruction booklet (which you sorted out, thanks), but that over a year ago now, I think, so maybe that email address is no longer valid.

Anyway, I'm pleased to hear I was wrong about Swarovski customer service.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back