• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SO…Why buy a Ultravid HD Plus??? (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
Let's say "someone" were considering a pair of Leica Ultravid Plus binoculars WHY would one consider THESE over some Swarovski SVs or Zeiss HT/SF? ESPECIALLY with the recent rebates and price drops?

I don't think I've EVER seen it written that the Ultravid Plus is optically superior or even equal to the SV or HT/SF.

Looking at the 8X42 market….

Specs
Ultravid + 8X42
FOV- 389, CF- 9.8 ft, WT- 27.9 oz, price- $2449

Swar EL 8.5X42
FOV- 399, CF- 4.9 ft, WT- 29.5 oz, price- $2279

Zeiss HT 8X42
FOV- 408, CF- 6.2 ft, WT- 27.7 oz, price- $2250 + $150 rebate= $2100

Zeiss SF 8X42
FOV- 444, CF- 5 ft, WT- 27.5 oz, price- $2599

So if the specs are really no better…optics no better, price no better….then why? Brand loyalty? Ergonomics? Just seriously curious.

Who knows?

Why would anybody want to buy any of the above binoculars when they could get a Nikon 8x30 EII for about 25% of the price of these?

:brains::h?:

Bob

Hello Chill6x6,

There are considerations beyond the ones you specified. The colour quality: neutral, cold or warm is of importance to many. Build quality and reliability favor Leica. Edge sharpness, rolling ball, and ergonomics are other matters of importance and concern. Personal preference are just as important as optical specifications. I always recommend trying before buying or buying from a vendor with a good returns policy.

Incidentally, the street price should be used as a guide.

I am not going to advocate for any of these binoculars, as I do not own any of them. Perhaps more members will add considerations from their personal experiences.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Let's say "someone" were considering a pair of Leica Ultravid Plus binoculars WHY would one consider THESE over some Swarovski SVs or Zeiss HT/SF? ESPECIALLY with the recent rebates and price drops?

I don't think I've EVER seen it written that the Ultravid Plus is optically superior or even equal to the SV or HT/SF.

Looking at the 8X42 market….

Specs
Ultravid + 8X42
FOV- 389, CF- 9.8 ft, WT- 27.9 oz, price- $2449

Swar EL 8.5X42
FOV- 399, CF- 4.9 ft, WT- 29.5 oz, price- $2279

Zeiss HT 8X42
FOV- 408, CF- 6.2 ft, WT- 27.7 oz, price- $2250 + $150 rebate= $2100

Zeiss SF 8X42
FOV- 444, CF- 5 ft, WT- 27.5 oz, price- $2599

So if the specs are really no better…optics no better, price no better….then why? Brand loyalty? Ergonomics? Just seriously curious.

Good question which reflects in sales.

But building quality is definitely in favor of Leica!!

Jan

Interesting, the prices look very different to here, where SF and SV still cost about 300 € more than the Ultravid plus. I guess Swaro and Zeiss have adapted to exchange rates, while Leica has not (yet).

Reasons to buy an Ultravid: they are by far the most compact, they are black, they are mechanically perfect, and they are optically so close to the others that the difference really doesn't matter much if you care for the other points.

Ceasar

Eye relief?

Do you have more than that, other than waterproofing? The EII has 13mm ER and I have no trouble using it but I have a few Roof's that have 15mm ER which are a bit too short for my liking. I don't wear glasses.

I've found out that there is more going on with eye relief than is easily explained. It is best to try out all binoculars first.

Bob

Do you have more than that, other than waterproofing? The EII has 13mm ER and I have no trouble using it but I have a few Roof's that have 15mm ER which are a bit too short for my liking. I don't wear glasses.

I've found out that there is more going on with eye relief than is easily explained. It is best to try out all binoculars first.

Bob
The eye relief has to match the eye cups of the binoculars and your eye sockets so the image hits your eye without blackouts.

If a guy considers resale value in the USA, the obvious choice is Swaro, Zeiss, and Leica a distant last.

That's certainly not the case in Europe.

And there are also people who buy binoculars to use, not to sell. ;) I just don't get it why people keep mentionning things like resale value or service quality in the first place as arguments for buying decisions...

Last edited:

It depends what the individual rates as superior, UVHD+ resolves just as much detail, delivers an equally sharp image, its just Leica puts a flat field and edge sharpness lower down the spec sheet than flare/glare control and poor light ability.

The 7x42UVHD+ is a true masterpiece and Swaro and Zeiss have no peer for it.

Ceasar,

I wear spectacles. There is no point in my buying binoculars or scopes if i don't see the whole view.

What more do you want me to say?

I have a top brand fixed e/p scope that the manufacturer says has 16mm er, and i don't get the whole view. Their zooms are deficient also. OTOH, I have viewed through inexpensive bins with, purportedly, 15mm er and seen the whole view!

I don't understand why manufacturers do not take more care for those needing specs.

Standardization of measurement would help, particularly if an optician could tell the customer,when prescribing specs, what minimum er he/she needs

Last edited:
The eye relief has to match the eye cups of the binoculars and your eye sockets so the image hits your eye without blackouts.

Dennis

This is exactly right.

A generous amount of eye relief looks good on the spec sheet but means nothing if the eyecups don't deliver your eyes to the right place.

Lee

Ceasar,

I wear spectacles. There is no point in my buying binoculars or scopes if i don't see the whole view.

I have a top brand fixed e/p scope that the manufacturer says has 16mm er, and i don't get the whole view. Their zooms are deficient also. OTOH, I have viewed through inexpensive bins with, purportedly, 15mm er and seen the whole view!

I don't understand why manufacturers do not take more care for those needing specs.

Standardization of measurement would help, particularly if an optician could tell the customer,when prescribing specs, what minimum er he/she needs

Eyup Sussex Wanderer

See my reply to Denco. Its not just the official eye relief measurement that matters, its also having eyecups the put your eyes in the right place in relation to the ER. Whatever the specs say you need to try before you buy.

You also have to remember that the variation in peoples' faces and spectacles is enormous.

One advantage a spec wearer like you and me has is this: slip your specs just 1mm or 2mm down your nose and this can cure blackouts with any number of bins. It just re-positions your eyes a bit further away and often will put them in the right place. And it costs nowt!!!!!

Lee

Ceasar,

If you can find one try the 8x30 EII with your spectacles on. It has a very wide FOV of 462'@1000 yards. The edges are out of focus for those who don't wear glasses and do not have the edge of the view cut off. (The edges can be focused in.)

Even if your spectacles cut off some of that out of focus edge of the view you might still have a useable and very wide view compared to what you are accustomed to.

Bob

Last edited:
Let's say "someone" were considering a pair of Leica Ultravid Plus binoculars WHY would one consider THESE over some Swarovski SVs or Zeiss HT/SF?

Chill

I'm a Zeiss fan-boy but admire lots of different bins and Leica's Ultravid is one.

You can't describe everything about bins in specifications and one of those things is the quality of the view.

The view through an Ultravid is very, very nice and I can understand folks falling for it in a big way. For its to do with the colours and contrast. The 7x is especially nice with a big depth of field as well as FOV.

For me the close focus is nowhere near close enough, and for my sort of nature observation I prefer the Zeiss colour balance, but lots of folks don't put the same importance on that as me.

Lee

Lee,

"You also have to remember that the variation in peoples' faces and spectacles is enormous."

That was patronizing: I don't have to remember anything.

Ceasar asked a simple question and I responded with a valid answer.

I understand the advantage of Porro bins. Indeed I am looking for a pair of Nikon 10x42 SE bins

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back