• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few birds from Vietnam. (2 Viewers)

laszlo111

Hello!
It was my first trip to this part of the world. Most of species I saw first time and I would ask you for help with identity.
The first photos are from Cat Tien NP.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 37
#1. Asian Brown Flycatcher
#2. Streak-eared Bulbul
#3. Yellow-browed Warbler
#4. Siberian (Stejneger's?) Stonechat
#5. Siberian (Stejneger's?) Stonechat
#6. Stripe-throated Bulbul

@johnallcock Thank you very much. Is Siberian Stonechat wintering in Vietnam? In "Birds of Vietnam" I can't find this species.

Second part of photos is from Dalat Area. Can you help me?
9. Mugimaki Flycatcher (?)

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 10A.jpg
    10A.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 10B.jpg
    10B.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 17
11. Bar-winged Flycatcher shrike ?
12. Large Niltava ?
13. Asian Brown Flycatcher ?
14. Annam Minivet ?

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 13A.jpg
    13A.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 13B.jpg
    13B.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 17
17. Large Niltava ?
18. Langbian Tit ?

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 22
11) Correct
13) Also Correct
13b) I think you were including the second image with #13, but I think it's actually a Taiga Flycatcher.
15) Sunbird of some species. Spiderhunter should have a substantially longer bill.
16) Taiga Flycatcher
17) Green-backed Tit

Last edited:
In response to post #4. Your book probably says Common Stonechat, it was since split into multiple species with the expected one in Vietnam being the Siberian Stonechat.

7. Yellow-browed Warbler again
8. looks like 1st-winter male Blue-and-white or Zappey's Flycatcher - very interesting bird!
9-11. yes, all Mugimaki
11. (I think your numbering is out!) it doesn't look right for one at all structurally and I'm drawing a blank at the moment
12. yes - subspecies decorata
13. yes
EDIT: Seth is quite right to point out that the 2nd image is Taiga FC - I didn't look at it
14. yes, AKA race annamensis of Long-tailed Minivet
15. I think this is a female Mrs Gould's Sunbird (race annamensis, AKA Annam Sunbird)
16. Taiga Flycatcher
17. yes
18. yes, AKA race legendrei of Green-backed Tit

Last edited:
Seth Miller, andyb39 Thank you very much.
I will add two more photos of bird number 8. Maybe someone can recognize if it is Zappey's or Blue-and-white Flycatcher.

Attachments

• 8B.jpg
    8B.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 8C.jpg
    8C.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 39
Seth Miller, andyb39 Thank you very much.
I will add two more photos of bird number 8. Maybe someone can recognize if it is Zappey's or Blue-and-white Flycatcher.

Not possible to differentiate unless male breeding plumage which this bird isn't.

In response to post #4. Your book probably says Common Stonechat, it was since split into multiple species with the expected one in Vietnam being the Siberian Stonechat.

Depends on your taxonomy. If IOC then both Siberian and Stejneger's would be expected this time of year - both split from Common!

Not possible to differentiate unless male breeding plumage which this bird isn't.

According to Philip Round, it should be possible if you can get a clear view in good light of the tone of the upperpart feathering. Blue-and-white should in theory be a slightly deeper blue, sometimes almost cobalt blue - the Palau bird here (no. 5 in the 1st row is an extreme example): https://ebird.org/media/catalog?tax...g_rank_desc&q=Blue-and-white Flycatcher&age=i. In Zappey's, the coloration should me more of a sky blue, or azure. Here are a few: https://ebird.org/media/catalog?tax...=rating_rank_desc&q=Zappey's Flycatcher&age=i. As a caveat, both the Singapore and Sabah birds were identified on blue throat feathering, which can clearly be seen on the latter, not upperpart coloration.

Another probable Zappey's (according to David Wells): https://besgroup.org/2014/02/19/blu...gidHQwFiZDhB3dIvBbysF7Z3uHjv9LJOrFbkFg6uTi4go. Note the rather orangey wingbar - I'm wondering if this might be a Zappey's feature.

I got quite excited about Laszlo's bird after seeing the first shot, but am not so sure after seeing the other two. The greater coverts look to be quite a deep blue and there looks to be dark feathering coming through on the throat. Any frontal views, Laszlo?

@andyb39 Thank you. Unfortunately I don't have other shots.
I show you last part of photos with which I have doubts.
Raptor on first is from Deo Nui San (near Di Lihn), others from Mui Ne.

21. Plain Prinia ?
22. Plain Prinia ?
23. Kentish or White-faced ?
24. Richard's Pipit ?

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 19
20. Crested Serpent Eagle
21. yes
22. not sure - maybe Brown?
23. it looks like it could be, but I don't have experience with them
24. Paddyfield Pipit
25. yes

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back